Full floating skagit??

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by sandspanker, Mar 2, 2011.

1. sandspanker

sandspanker Member

I know skagit is for sink tips. So if u use skagit type casting. What do u use for summer time?? Skagit with a floater instead of a sink tip??

2. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

I use a scandi head ,mainly because I'm not trying to cast big flys, but years ago I did use floating tips on a skagit belly

3. Rick Sharp

Rick Sharp Member

yep 10' tapered full floater similar to a mow tip

4. James Waggoner

James Waggoner Active Member

Ditch the chunky line for summer, use a line more appropriate for the conditions...lower clearer water, equals smaller flys, longer leaders and a presentation that doesn't fall out of the sky like a lead rope.

5. g_smolt

g_smolt Recreational User

Patience, young man.

There will soon be a line for your needs.

6. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

delta, fall favorite, winter authority with floating tip, cnd's, wish I could afford or find one of the new carrons, vector..

7. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Fishing a floating tip defeats the pleasue and grace of fishing a floater. Most of us anticipate and cherish the small season window where chuck and duck is replaced with tight loops and little effort.

8. rick matney

rick matney Active Member

Compact scandi head and a long leader

9. LBC

LBC nymphing beads with a spey pole.

I just got the new airflo products book, they have a Full Floating Skagit Line offered new this year.

10. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves

I tried that about 20yrs ago and immediately went out and bought Wulff taper - still using them too!

11. Philster

Philster Active Member

Just another tool. I wouldn't want to throw a Wulff into a hard headwind. And I love wulff lines. I have them in everything from a 3wt dry to an 11wt saltwater full sink. If you already own a skagit, you'd be dumb to not carry it with all tips, floating and sinking year round. Carry and fish a "graceful" line if you want, and can afford one. If you either don't want to buy a new line, or can't afford one, or parish the thought like the way a skagit system performs for you do what you need to do! what's the big deal? How long have we all been fishing? Does nobody else remember having one 30 foot sinktip line and fishing it all winter on an 8wt single hand rod? A skagit system is longer than that!

12. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

We are so inundated with specialized spey lines that we may forget that the majority of all-floating spey lines are nonspecialized, versatile tools for most spey duties. Anything from a scandi head to a WindCutter, Delta, Mastery midbelly, or long-belly is suitable for "summer" dry/damp/skating fly presentation.

The only thing wrong with skagit lines is that they are trucks: heavy duty load-haulers, but gauche in higher society.