Full Sink 4wt

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by TANGLES, Nov 12, 2013.

1. TANGLES

TANGLES Richh

Is a 4wt too light for a full sinking line?

2. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    Nope, not for stillwater use where lots of trolling and little casting is involved.

3. William Wallace

William Wallace Active Member

not at all!

I will use them a lot to get the fly right on the bottom or be lazy and troll behind the pontoon! Short leader! or little longer leader, cast, let sink then slow strip in. The line will sink farther than the fly, fly will lower when stripped then will angle up when closer.

4. Greg Smith

Greg Smith Member

A 4 weight full sink weighs the same as a 4 weight floater. A sinking line is smaller in diameter. A type six line is much smaller in diameter than a type two line. They can feel harder to cast because you have to drag the line from underwater instead of picking it off of the surface. Greg

5. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

Media:
    You might have trouble finding a 4 wt full sink line. I think a lot of line manufacturers start at 5 wt. Because 4 wt lines are light, some 4 wt sinking lines may have trouble breaking through the surface tension and actually sinking. That has been the case with a 4 wt type III line I own. I note that the manufacturer no longer makes a 4 wt sinking line.

D

6. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Media:
    Dang....all this time I have been doing it all wrong. I had no clue I was not supposd to be casting much.

I use a 4 weight intermediate quite a bit but I cant recall seeing many faster sinking lines available smaller than a 5, but I havent looked all that much

7. speyflyfisher

speyflyfisher Member

My 4wt full sink fishes well. Once you get it to the surface, it shoot's like crazy due to the small diameter.
    Mine is a Rio Lake deep 6. I think they only make 4wt's in down to "Deep 5" now which is 5 to 6 inch/sec.
    They are definitely specialty lines. I cant see using mine with out being in in a floating device on still water.

8. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

Media:
    No problem !!! I've used a 4wt full sink in a intermediate, type 3 and type 6 for a few years now in lakes and they work just fine. Rio makes all of these down to a 4wt, or at least they did...

9. Jerry Metcalf

Jerry Metcalf FishyJere

Richard and Mark, I have both a type 4 and type 6, 4wt lines from Rio. They work great.

10. Steve Unwin

Steve Unwin Active Member

Media:
    Oops, pocket post!

11. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

I have used the same 7wt Type VI line on all of my 4,5 and 6 wt rods for the past 15 years and caught hundreds, perhaps thousands of fish on that line. Casting it on a 9' 4wt is just no big deal for lake fishing. I talked to a guy on McDowell Lake a few years back that was catching nothing on a floater while I was hammering fish on my 7wt Type VI on a 4wt TFO rod. I asked him why he wasn't using a sinker and he explained that they were just "too hard to cast".

I demonstrated the 7wt being water loaded into the backcast then being flung out smoothly with no false cast or drama at all. I'm not sure he believed I was telling the truth about the line but the results were obvious. The 4wt cast the 7wt line effortlessly.

Last year I started using a Rio Deep 7 on all my rods and am doing fine with it as well. The idea that you need a dedicated sinking line for each and every rod weight to fish effectively is just a myth. I have heard it said that over lining a rod that much is somehow hard on the rod. I call bullshit on that theory-how can it be harder on a rod than catching dozens of hard fighting fish in one day?

A 5wt or 6wt sinker will do just fine on your 4wt.

Ive

Richard Olmstead likes this.
  12. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Thanks for posting that, Ive. I am planning to get myself a faster sinking line, and I'm going to take your comments into consideration before I pull the trigger. Right now my fastest sinker is a 6 wt Cortland 333+ Rocket Taper type 3 that sinks at 3-4 ips, and I have used it on my 9' 4 wt rod (TFO Jim Teeny 9' 4pc) for casting as well as trolling. Was a little heavy casting with the 4 wt, but not too bad.
    Shoots fairly well, so I didn't have to carry too much line in the air when I was casting with the 4 wt rod.

Now, I've got that line and reel back on a med/slow action 6? wt rod, which has become a "dedicated" trolling rod. (Its a 9' Fenwick boron and it feels like a 6 wt). That rod bends right into the cork, and I like that softer action for kayak fishing, since it makes it easy to unhook, net, or lip-grip any fish that I bring alongside.

13. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    Simply put, a fly in the air is never fishing.

14. mbowers

mbowers Active Member

Indeed, but a fly underwater is never batting. :)

The Rio In Touch with Connect Core (no stretch) in a 4wt is the way to go IMHO. Watch out for discount lines that are the older model without the connect core.

15. airedale

airedale Member

i use a rio type 6 sink 4wt on my 4 wt [SA doesn't make one].....as said above, surface load the back cast and let her rip....one cast...one cast only...and i've yet to fish montana.....:)

16. Rob Hardman

Rob Hardman Active Member

Ive mentioned something about that too. Could you guys explain that a little more?

17. kmudgn

kmudgn Member

I have a 4wt full sink line made by Scientific Anglers. As far as I know they were the only one to offer FS in that weight. I have had it for over 5 years, but believe that they still sell it. It is not my favorite line, but when you need it, you need it.

18. Steve Unwin

Steve Unwin Active Member

Media:
    RIO definitely has them in 4wt.

19. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Ive made a great point for those of us on a budget. I'm thinking of getting a type 6 or 7 full sinker in a 5 wt, so I can use it on my 4 wt thru 6 wt rods. I don't want to have to spring for both a 4 wt and a 6 wt in this kind of line, when one will do.

20. Guy Gregory

Guy Gregory Active Member

Second for the SA 4wt sinker. It doesn't sink very fast, but sink it does. I never considered a 7wt sinker, or a sinking head/running combination, great ideas both, but hey, maybe when my 4wt wears out.