Fun little rod

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by golfman65, May 14, 2012.

1. golfman65 Guest

Ratings: +5 / 0
    I've had small switch rods for summer runs and trout but found the wind just kicks the crap out of them on the free blowing rivers I fish..
    I had Bob make me a 5/6 mks last year and used it for summer fishing the skagit and summer runs on my other rivers...
    Took it out on sat. after it's been parked all winter for maybe a late winter steelie but more likey, bulls, tout and shock...cutties...

I hadn't found a line with the exception of the one steve made for this rod I really liked...till Sat. when I put the 5/6 nextcast W.A. 45' on her....Damn what a sweet casting line and rod...Skated bugs for a large part of the day and as a dryline it cut through the thermals no problem...threw on a type 3 tip for a couple runs and it was stellar with that as well...

Super fun rod matched up with a Taupo, it's what makes the summer so much fun...light rods, bugs, fry, little classic's....yet will handle everything and still make it fun...

Here's a summer from last fall...

Attached Files:

2. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,621 / 0
    How heavy is the 5/6 Nextcast WA 45'? I thought that line only came in heavier sizes, at least when I looked it up when they were new on the market.

Sg
  3. golfman65 Guest

the 5/6 is 460gr. Poppy has um on Red Shed!!!
  4. TrevorH Active Member

Bellingham, WA, US.
    Ratings: +32 / 0
    The 5/6 never came with a running line did it? Always sold as a head?
  5. Sam Matulich New Member

Ratings: +1 / 0
    I too have recently picked up my switch rod (Beulah 7 wt). I've had it for the past year, but in the last couple of weeks I have been casting (practicing) at a local lake and really enjoying it. I could use help with my casting, but thats what a day on the river if for. Can't wait to hook my first summer run on it.
  6. SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

Roy, WA
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    pretty sure they're still available as full lines, check the NextCast website.
  7. golfman65 Guest

I would NEVER buy the full line ..NEVER...the running line is too thick, it's also too short..and the head isn't maked so you have to figure that out on your own...Heads much better IMHO
  8. TrevorH Active Member

Bellingham, WA, US.
    Ratings: +32 / 0
    I don't like the head-to-running line junction in the guides. On true shooting heads, they are typically short enough that it isn't an issue, but that xtra 10' and longer leader puts the head into the guides more than I like, especially on water I'm fishing lighter rods on, not so much on big water. It really is nice from a fishing standpoint to get away from that clunky connection, no different than fishing a single handed line and just knowing where it loads at. Let me know if you have any other whole lines you don't like... I'm a buyer.
  9. golfman65 Guest

Hmmmm in 2012 I don't notice these things...