Fun times on the Rock Creek River

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Michael Morris, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Spent 3 Days and two nights out on the Rock Creek River. After some talk with some members here my buddies and I decided to stay around at Harry's Flat campground. Didn't get a water front campsite but that was fine as we found the water up above to be a little better, and all the spots were taken closer to the water while we had no one around us. We were also still only a short short walk to the water. We also drove down to the area by Dalles that had the large rocks and nice pools, my pulled a lot of Browns out of there, however I seemed to only attract Rainbows and Cutts... Overall caught and released tons of fish and had a great time but I didn't land one Brown so was disapointed by that oh and I snapped my newly purchased Sage ONE rod...thank you Warranty. Can't wait to go back.

[​IMG]
    Untitled by MooSE855, on Flickr
    Nice Sized and Colored Rainbow I pulled on a Yellow Stimmy with Legs
    [​IMG]
    Brooke on a Hopper by MooSE855, on Flickr
    Brooke on a Hopper
    [​IMG]
    Cutt I got an Yellow Humpy
    [​IMG]
    Made Friends with a Mule
    [​IMG]
    Some of our other friends we made on the trip..Big Horns
    [​IMG]
    Beautiful Rock Creek River
    [​IMG]
    Another nice Cutt I found
    [​IMG]
    Same Brooke from earlier
    [​IMG]
    And a quick way to put a wrinkle in a great trip...luckily I have a spare and a warranty...

dfl and bigdood like this.
  2. ganglyangler

ganglyangler Bird Dogs and Fly Rods

Sounds fun! Did you step on that rod?

3. Nope, I am not exactly sure what led up to it, but notice the laminate looked funky and continued to cast and it cracked, and I made it look worse as I was walking with it and taking it apart...I have 2 other Sage rods and never had an issue. I sent it in so will see what they say.

4. ganglyangler

ganglyangler Bird Dogs and Fly Rods

Sage has a incredible warranty and you'll get a nice new stick. You could have danced the hokey pokey on it and they would still honor it. Not that you should but its nice to know if you ever car door it. Nice pics by the way!

5. It's a nice comfort to know they will. Another reason I love there products. Thanks man, that river was awesome beautiful place, lots of wildlife and only saw 2 other anglers the entire time. I used the dry fly the entire time and had lots of action and my buddy was using both and running droppers and had action on both.

6. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Looks like you had a great time...Rock Creek is a gem.

7. astrofisher

astrofisher Clear Skies

Awesome, I love Rock Creek. Thanks for posting the pics. A friend has two hundred acres on the Middle Fork, so I normally get to fish over there every summer for a week or so, but I couldn't make it over this year.

8. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Rock Creek is just that, a creek. It is not a river, although it is as big as one sometimes. But it is classified as a creek.

Nice report by the way.

9. astrofisher

astrofisher Clear Skies

I'm interested on what the criteria for a creek and river is. Rock creek and Kelly creek vs the San Poil river, Skookumchuck river or the little Deschutes river.

10. Kyle Smith

Kyle Smith Active Member

I usually stay off that creek in the summer, it seems like most of the trout over 8" get lockjaw when it's hot out. Quite a different place to fish in March/April, though. Do that if you ever get the chance.

11. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I've fished rivers that were smaller than creeks and I've fished creeks that were bigger than rivers. That sounds like double talk. It might have to do with how long they are Vs. how short they are. I don't worry about stuff like that to just how they fish.

12. Preston

Preston Active Member

There are no hard and fast criteria.

13. thanks for the report, Michael. Looks like you had a great time. I'm surprised you didn't catch any browns; they seem to be the majority in RCA now.

as for creek vs. river, there's no criteria. Some streams are simply named Xxx River, while others are named Yyy Creek. They are proper nouns. (But I don't know any that are named Zzz Creek River).

Dick

14. Greg Price

Greg Price Love da little fishies

15. Greg,

Rock Creek is just passed Missoula, and Harry's Flat is one of the campgrounds available on it. I believe the Road follows the river for about 50 miles so theres tons of places to pull over and fish as well. We passed 2 other campgrounds on the way, Nortons and the Dalles based on the recommendations of some other members like Richard O. There is another campground farther up called the Bitterroot Flat, we never ventured that far up thou, but I think we will check it out next time for sure. The road was in great shape, but it sounds like it can sometimes be an issue. Definitely a beautiful place with lots of wildlife, the ranger said they have had lots of Moose and Wolf sitings recently but we didn't run into any of that.

16. Kyle Smith

Kyle Smith Active Member

Yeah, they just paved that road 2 weeks ago, glad to hear it was a good ride. I nearly destroyed my Volkswagen up there in early July, only driving up to the Dalles. What's the water like up at Harry's Flat? I've not made it that far up with my little hatchback. Glad to see the sheep are doing well!

17. Greg Price

Greg Price Love da little fishies

Thanks Michael,

I googled Rock Creek in Washington state, but only got palces in Washington, DC. I then tried Rock Creek near the Dalles, OR and got nowhere.

Looks like a great place. Pines, wildlife, pretty fish. Thanks for sharing with us.

Kyle Smith likes this.
  18. mx610ktm

mx610ktm Member

MT.

19. The water wasn't too bad, we walked up a bit and then fished back down to the campsite. Had some good runs and some pools behind rocks, also a nice pool with a log running along it. Water was low, so the pockets were key. I landed that Rainbow and Cutt in that stretch, and a couple other nice Bows and Cutts. We also drove down a mile or two basically right inbetween the Dalles CG and Harrys Flat CG and there were a bunch of large rocks with some nice pool's. My buddy pulled out a lot of nice Browns in that stretch. I also missed a couple nice fish and hooked into a real nice one on a hopper, but he snapped my line off...

20. Steve Vaughn

Steve Vaughn Member

Glad you posted the pic of the brookie. I got some questions when I reported catching a brookie up there last year. Had my trailer parked at Ekstrom's, which was marginal as an RV campground but handy to fly shop and restaurant. Going back to the Missoula area week after next with the wife this time so will be doing more sightseeing than last year with my fishing buddy.

I've fished Sage rods for a long time and they are great standing behind their warrantees.