Furled leaders in the salt...

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Alexander, Jun 8, 2014.

1. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

Media:
    Some time ago I bought some furled leaders on closeout at the Gig Harbor fly shop... man, I really like these! So the other day when I planned on taking my kids to the river I realized that I had no leaders for 5wt and under. So in a rush I youtubed furled leaders and there's this vid of this guy doing it by hand. Looked simple enough so I tried it. Grabbed some 6lbs spider flouro I got way back in the day and went to town and made a 7ft leader. worked like a charm and casted dries all day long and even fooled some fish...

So today I tied up some larger mono for the salt, I thought why not try some 10lb mono. So this time I involved a drill and some paper clips. Made my furled leader with 10lb mono and hit the beach... so nice, casts nice, caught fish and stayed limp the entire time. Yes I even coiled it before I went to the beach and still, once uncoiled it just stayed limp.

I have to say, I'm going to keep this furled leader thing going the rest of this season, even when the Coho are in. I like how the flies cast and love how the line is limp the entire time...

anyone else here fish furled leaders in the salt? It took me less then 10 minutes to make one, it's hard to think of a better way to use leaders for me now. I loop to loop it to my fly line and then loop a short tippet section and tie my fly to it. I did poppers and sb surface today with good success in both categories.

If you haven't given the furled leader in the salt a shot, it may be worth your while. Besides, tying your own flies and building your own rods as I know some of you do, making your own leaders just adds to the fun and they work real nice too.

2. Roger Stephens

Roger Stephens Active Member

I have been using furled leader for saltwater fly fishing for over 4 years. They are excellent for turning over either heavy or bulky patterns with ease particularly when making long casts.

Roger

3. JonT

JonT Active Member

Can you post a link to the video?

4. Cuttbow82

Cuttbow82 Active Member

I've been using a furled leader that one of the guys at Puget Sound Fly Co. made for me. I absolutely love it. I also saw the YouTube video on how to make your own. I picked up some 15lb test Maxima Ultragreen and am going to try to make my own.

5. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

Media:
    http://globalflyfisher.com/fishbetter/henk/index.html. This is a link to a little more complex way of doing it.

For YouTube, just search furled leaders and look for the vid by Captsodie, on that same search check out the video by WesternFlys. Both should show up when typing furled leaders in the search. I don't use the peg board and my furled leaders aren't complex/tapered. I just pull out 12 or so feet of say 10 lbs mono and hook a paper clip at the half point. I then have me 4 yr old hold it (she likes to help) and tie a knot at the ends combining the two strands. I make a hook out of another paper clip and secure it in a drill as seen in on of the vids. I then spin it in one direction until it wants to coil, per one of the videos. Then I half it again and have my daughter hold it again. I then spin it in opposite direction with drill and then it's basically done. I know that isn't a detailed explanation but once you read the article and watch both the videos you'll get the idea. It's easier than it seems.

6. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

Media:
    Oh and you'll have to figure out lengths by how much you need to make a certain length of leader. I just went for it. I did 3 or 4 times the length of my arms spread out from east to west.

7. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Media:
    They have a bit too much stretch for me sometimes. Great for using light tippets, but I didn't like them for coho last year because I wasn't getting solid hookups. Its like I could feel the take, but couldn't stripset hard enough. It felt like using a rubber band as a leader

8. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

Media:

Yeah, I can see that being an issue - I wonder if flouro was used if that would improve it a bit. I know it will still stretch, but it's gotta be less.

9. Speyrod GB

Speyrod GB Member

I have used flouro furled leaders many times for SRC. I really like them. They sink better than mono, especially if I am using a floating line and do not want to put on my sinking line. I have never used a floating furled leader though.

10. Randall Clark

Randall Clark Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I use the ones made out of uni-thread (for freshwater trout) and recently picked up some made with 20lb powerpro. zero stretch...although they don't seem to sink as good as flouro, in fact they float pretty well.

11. underachiever

underachiever !

Media:

Braid is the preferred line for gear fisherman doing the float/jig thing. I bet that power pro furled leader would be great for chucking salmonfly patterns at fat deschutes redsides.

For dry flies I buy furled leaders from Cutthroat Leader and really like them. Pretty sure they're uni-thread.

12. Randall Clark

Randall Clark Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    worked beautifully for that...

13. underachiever

underachiever !

Media:
    Where'd ya get it?