NFR Future fishing buddy

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Gary Knowels, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Gary Knowels

Gary Knowels Active Member

Media:
    I adopted my (hopefully) future fishing buddy recently. His name is Mosby, a 3 month old Australian shepherd, lab, jack Russell mix. Hr is a rescue puppy, full of energy and happy as can be.

A question for you guys that take your dogs with you while you fish. How did you introduce fly fishing to your dog?

Attached Files:

GAT, Greg@PNW, formerguide and 4 others like this.
  2. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

I simply started taking mine. She's still a bit young, so I won't take her with me to a spot that will have other anglers around, because she really likes running up and saying hello to everyone. I think once she grows up a bit more, she'll be a bit better about staying close. She's pretty well trained, so not a loose cannon out there. I would guess that's your best bet--make sure she gets plenty of training and taking her anywhere shouldn't be an issue.

I recently took mine up to the Middle Fork Snoqualmie, and while I fished I just let her run around on the shore and in the woods. She loved it. Once summer comes around, I'm sure she'll be a lot more interested in getting in the water and swimming around, so I plan to get her a life vest any time we go fishing somewhere where the flows might be a little rougher to deal with.

3. jimmydub

jimmydub Active Member

Way to go on the rescue, and a good looking pooch! I have fly fished with my dog, also a rescue (a stout Maltese and poodle mix), and she was more than happy just to be with me. There was no need to introduce, I just started fishing and she was cool with it. She also watches me tie flies quite intently.

A dog with some lab and Aussie in it though, that's a different story! When I was growing up, we had a golden/border collie mix (we think). Our house was on a lake, and if we didn't take her fishing she would raise hell and try to swim to us. It didn't take long until she was in the boat every time we were, and she did just fine with patience and loved to inspect our catch. She passed shortly before I could show her fish on a fly rod, though, but I know she would have been just fine with that too. She just liked sniffing a few fish.

I think you'll have a fine fishing partner, no doubt. In terms of being able to handle a good adventure, your dog probably has the right features to keep up and stay safe. Those three breeds are pretty sturdy animals. You'll be the best judge of your dog's behavior, and the amount of attention you'll need to give them will be your call.

4. NewTyer1

NewTyer1 Banned or Parked

Great job on the rescue dog but, geez what a mix. I wonder how that all came about. The main thing for me would be to keep the dog out of the water while fishing but, after your finished allow it some water time. You will definately have to train it. You may be able to start with a small kiddie pool in the back yard. Fill the pool and practice your casting for awhile, being the dog is so young, maybe 5 minutes or less. Have the dog stay or sit while you cast, when your done, lay the rod down are break it down so the dog recognizes you are finished and then let it play in the pool. You have to do this same thing, including the break down or lay down the pole, it will eventually recognize that as finishing and it's play time. continue doing the same thing and adding more and more time as you go. Also rewarding with a small kible or treat will help condition the dog. This is called classical conditioning. The biggest things are training ofter, lengthening time and reward. this way you will have a great fishing buddy that does not run in the water until YOU say it's ok. Good luck and happy fishing

5. Gary Knowels

Media:
    Thanks guys. His mom was a red merle aussie, dad was a black lab-jack russell mix. Dad was at the shelter, looked like a small, short-legged black lab, but barked like a JRT. Apparently he was a stray and knocked up an aussie. The dad and the puppies were all taken to the same shelter.

I guess what I'm a little concerned about is the fact that he is already showing a propensity to chase things and that that might lead to him trying to chase the fly line or indicator if I have one on.

6. Krusty

Krusty Krusty Old Effer

Wading a river or stream with a dog can be an iffy proposition...scaring your fish, and everybody elses' too.

My fishing dogs were all boat dogs. Some of them got more excited about a hooked fish than I did. Lots of fun...and I miss them all...God rest their pure souls.

7. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

My pup, Masha, loves to chase things. When I've taken her fishing, she's occasionally shown interest in the indicator or fly (if she sees it dragging through the water), but she's never jumped in after it.

Plus, being so young, it shouldn't be hard to train that propensity out of him. If you are new to training dogs, there are a few good training places in Seattle that are pretty reasonable (in my mind). We did "Puppy Catch Up" training (since we rescued our puppy at about 5 or 6 mos. old) and "Puppy Jr. High" at Ahimsa in Ballard. I really enjoyed the classes and learned a lot of great tricks there.

In any case, I think that's the most important--a well-trained pup shouldn't be a problem on the water.

Have fun by the way!

Jason

Gary Knowels likes this.
  8. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    He looks like a bundle of fun...they are indeed man's best friend.

9. Gary Knowels

Media:
    Thanks Jason, I've done the training thing once before, but that was before I started fly fishing and a dog of different breeds. He was a great hiking partner though. I was taking him to Family Dog Training in Kent and really enjoyed it their and learned a lot of things that I'm already using on Mosby.

Through the shelter we got a voucher for a free 6 week puppy training class in Bothell so are going to do that and then more classes after that.

10. JackJester

JackJester Member

I didn't really "introduce them"... we just went fishing together. But that was after I could control them off leash (i.e., come when called). Both of my dogs are rescues. The lab/border mix in my avatar is 8 yrs old and an awesome fishing buddy. He naturally stays out of streams and lakes until the pool has been fished and then it is swim/stick retrieve time. He watches me from shore patiently while I fish until I grab that stick signalling fun time. My other newer one is a full lab 2 yr old. He is a handful and LOVES to swim. He also likes to go after the casted fly thinking it is a stick to retrieve. I often have to leash him to me on smaller streams to prevent him from ruining a hole, or my wife and I take turns holding him. He also wants to get that fish as it is being released. He is still very much a work in progress. Both dogs went through River Dog Training in Issaquah which I wholeheartedly recommend. It's not just about obeisance, but its about socialization with other dogs...which River Dog excels in. Nothing is worse then meeting another dog on a narrow trail or stream and that other dog is out for blood. Your dog looks like the lab portion is small so you will have much more success keeping him out of the water when he shouldn't be. NewTyer1's recommendation on training with a kiddy pool is great idea...it might have helped me with my lab..might still... I'll try it this spring.

Gary Knowels likes this.
  11. bigdood

bigdood fishing hack

Media:
    Home Page:
    Oh man with a face like that there's no way I could ever tell him no! Great pup!

12. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Cool looking pup! I'll bet he's as smart as whip! Trouble with a capital "T!":D

Hey jimmydub, I was thinking that a Golden mix would be good canoe dog. But I don't need a dog. Not right now, anyway.
    Rescue is the way to go, though.

13. dave h

dave h New Member

I had a cattle dog that loved the water.

Jim Wallace likes this.
  14. Greg Pucilowski

Greg Pucilowski Member

I adopted a 1.5 year old border collie named Boots about two months ago who too was a rescue. These last two weeks I've been taking him fishing after work and on the weekends out here in SE Idaho. My main challenge with him is that he likes to chase diesel trucks. So we've been sticking to rivers away from major roads in case he gets the urge to chase one. But I just started taking him and he's doing fine for the most part. You have to accept that your dog is going to get into some trouble and you're going to have to stop fishing to get him. I'm always taking a glance to see where he's at in between casts and he's usually laying on the bank watching me or licking his paws. Sometimes he'll swim out to me and I'll have to stop and tell him to go back, or he'll go and chase something and either I go after him or wait for him to come back. Because I adopted him as he's growing out of his puppy stage he came with some bad habits and only time will change that. So just take Mosby out and he'll learn with time and your patience.

15. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

I had one that loved to chase shorebirds and cats. It was her undoing. A cat she was chasing bolted out from a roadside hedge right in front of a truck. The cat made it, Orca didn't. That was 20 years ago, but even so, you should never let your dog chase cats.
    I buried her in the berm so that she could chase seagulls forever. A couple of years later, the surf got big and the berm eroded, and off she went! She use to love to go lay down at the water's edge on the beach and feel the cold water rush in on the last surge of the dying waves.

I tried to teach her bodysurfing by throwing a stick out into the shore break. She finally sort of almost caught a wave once, but I had a sore arm by then.

16. rory

rory Go Outside

Home Page:
    http://www.gotsitdogtraining.com/ These guys are the best. There is nothing better than a well behaved dog on a river. My dog won't go in the water unless I let him. That is tough for a lab.

17. chodder

chodder Member

Home Page:
    Nothing makes our dog happier than a day running around outside. Hiking, fishing, swimming anything. We started him out just going swimming and exploring on some of the rivers. The first few times fishing when he was pretty small and we kept on a rope on the shore where he would be in a safe place, or take turns holding on to him while the other person fished. Now he can pretty much just run free and will usually just sit on the shore and watch, or fling sticks up in the air. Had to chase him down one time with a rotten chum in his mouth. But it's just slowly getting them used to it. Plus it wares them out and makes them easier to control when you get home. Thy male the best fishing buddies. I'm glad someone brought up this topic, I've been wondering about other people's fishing buddies. Congrats on the new friend. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362430646.020255.jpg

18. Gary Knowels

Media:
    Thanks for all of the input guys. I know it's going to be a long process and I'm excited to undertake it. It's amazing how much he has changed and picked up in the short 3 weeks I've had him.

19. Supacash

Supacash Member

Good luck with the new pup!! I'm new to this area but am an accomplished fly fisher, anybody here need a fishing buddy?

20. Gary Knowels

Media:
    Welcome! You may want to post an introduction thread and toss out a bit about yourself.

As for the pup, he's coming along nicely at 6 months old now. I take him to the park across the street and cast with him next to me, he doesn't seem too interested in rod or line. He isn't a big swimmer yet, but like to play in the water up to his armpits. I haven't had him streamside yet, but that will come this summer hopefully.