FYI: Boat-ban suggested for Klickitat, Hoh, other rivers

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Dan Nelson, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    It is interesting to read about this proposal on Piscatorial Pursuits and Gamefishin', forums predominately dominated by bait and conventional gear enthusiasts. The over-whelming response is that the proposal is the product of the elitist fly fags who want the rivers all to them (our) selves. Even tho the proposal sponsor, WSC, is predominately a conventional gear type membership. It's fascinating that any proposal that may reduce a gear angler's ability to hook, and therefore kill more fish via incidental mortality, must be the work of the bastard elitist fly fishermen who don't even catch the fish. I think a cool article for Psychology Today could come of this.

Sg

2. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    One commonality with this thread, especially regarding the Klick, is the over-use by guides (both gear and fly) and their clients pounding water day in, day out, all season long.

While I won't disagree with that, wouldn't a better solution be to impose some sort of limited entry to guiding rather than the free-for all it currently has? Why should the common angler be punished for the actions/behavior/impact of the guides?

JesseCFowl and underachiever like this.
  3. gt

gt Active Member

Media:
    using boats or other floating devices as a means of transportation and then getting out to fish has great merit. this provides some sheltered waters for fish which wade anglers simply can't reach but could easily back drift. this has worked exceedingly well on the Descutes in Oregon with refuge for fish as well as plenty of water to wade fish. good for WSC for proposing this.

4. Jeff Sawyer

Jeff Sawyer Active Member

Media:
    That was exactly my point.

The truth is when I first read it, I though that's awesome. I only swing so for me it would be a benefit.

But then I thought about the folks that get as much pleasure from nymphing, as I do from swinging, I though maybe this was a very self-serving response on my part.

Maybe this is an option worthy of debate, maybe in certain instances it's the right answer. But as we debate it we should keep our fellow fishermen in mind as well as our own interest.

5. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

Media:
    You cannot nymph fish without standing on a boat?

This rule will have impacts (likely some unintended) but let's be honest about what the rule actually does.

Chris

6. Jeff Sawyer

Jeff Sawyer Active Member

Media:
    Yes, you can.

That wasn't really my point.

My point was if you look at something from a different angle, often it looks very different.

7. Fletcher

Fletcher New Member

Love it! I don't care if you nymph or swing, but it does get old watching people row through the the same run 4 or 5 times hammering fish. At least a rule like this gives the fish a break in the tough spots.

8. Cruik

Cruik Active Member

I think we need to consider the idea that we might not be trying to eliminate fishing from a boat because this method harasses fish any more than fishing from the bank. We might be eliminating fishing from a boat because we think anglers who do are more likely to improperly handle or bonk a wild fish. A lot of people consider plug-pulling, side-drifting, or bobber-dogging (fly or gear) to require less skill than fishing from the bank. Admittedly, these are generally the preferred methods for inexperienced anglers. To use these methods effectively, one really only needs a single person in the boat to be skilled (often a guide). If you have the combination of an inexperienced angler and a guide just trying to make ends meet, the opportunity presents itself to abuse the resource. We've all heard of guides or seen their websites where the client gets to hold their fish for an in-the-boat hero shot or take their trophy home.

It may well be true that these fish would greatly benefit from sanctuary spots in the river, but I just feel like the fishing pressure is going to be displaced, rather than reduced. Boat anglers will just be fishing from the bank instead and the pressure on fish that are in shallow, bank accessible waters (possibly spawners?) is going to increase. What this is going to do is greatly reduce the catching ability of those inexperienced anglers, because covering water and detecting bites is much harder from the bank, regardless of method. I just hope the elimination of boat angling isn't just a clever means of reducing the angling effectiveness of those we deem unfit to fish for steelhead, because there really are anglers who fish responsibly from a boat (some who can't phsyically stand on the bank or wade all day) who are going to be very disappointed by this rule.

9. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

There is still a ton of river left open for boats to fish( in the Quillayute system), and the bank access below the closures are limited at best. I doubt very seriously if there is an alterior motive beyound protecting fish.

10. Dan Page

Dan Page Active Member

I have to think bank fishing only will reduce #'s of fishermen hammering the river as there are only so many places to pull over and fish outside of a boat. On crowded days these points will fill up and force boaters on down to find their own run. So instead of a constant flow of corkies, bobbers, plugs, flies, etc. sweeping the main run of the river there would decreased hammering on the fish, more resting spaces and more resting time for fish. I'd guess it would appear to be more crowded than before on rivers, but the fish would benefit.
    There's only so many options availbale to reduce pressure on fish outside of a fishing ban. This one favors fly fishermen, but fly fishing is the more difficult, less effective method, so it's only natural restrictions would not affect the fly fisherman as much.

11. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    Excellent point. This may simply trade one problem for another. Still, I think some rivers might benefit from limiting fishing from a floating device. As Evan mentioned, fish that are in the system for long periods of time and in honey holes, simply get over fished. I doubt anyone will argue that fishing from a boat increases chances of catch (quite a bit has been my experience). That being true, some compromise for some rivers may be in order.

Floating still allows anglers to access lots of river that walk in bank anglers won't be fishing, so we should be able to spread out a bit. Which is all the more reason high water mark access law is important.

12. TallFlyGuy

TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Media:
    Look at the Deschutes. Can you imagine what kind of crazy show that would be if everyone fished from boats, casting nymphs and bobbers? Fishing would be ruined.

flybill likes this.
  13. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    I would be in favor of there being a special permit for disabled fishermen to fish out of boats. To reduce abuse of this, a visible pass similar to the guide decal would be something to consider. I see no reason to limit those who can't physically fish from the bank.

14. gt

gt Active Member

Media:
    have you folks actually fished the Oregon Deschutes?? so many of the 'what if' arguements being presented are just totally bogus. drift that river and observe just what is taking place with anglers.

sanctuary areas for fish are pretty important if you are interested in supporting wild anadramous fish recovery. having the ability to hammer every conceivable location from a floating device guarantees these fish will never recover much less get through a single season without being stressed.

15. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    GT,
    I've floated the Deschutes maybe a dozen times in the past ten years and my observation is that everyone floats to a place they want to wade fish for a bit, then head down to the next promising spot. Have you observed otherwise?

16. YAMMY

YAMMY Member

17. gt

gt Active Member

Media:

thats accurate from warm spring down to the columbia. there is always a spot to stop, get out and fish. someone on your favorite rocK?? get up earlier next time :)

18. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

yes guides can effectively fish clients for steelhead on just about every river on the planet!!!! on the other hand whats wrong with having one river where no guiding is allowed...

my recommendation would be to limit the entire river to say 10 guiding permits. and the guides who get them to start with are chosen based on how long they have LIVED in the area..

the idea however that you cannot guide people without them standing in a boat is silly...

19. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    I still don't understand why this isn't something that's seriously being pushed on at least a few rivers. The National Parks limit guiding access, other states limit guiding access. I see no reason to not at least try it on a river or two to see how it goes.

20. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

Media:
    good luck finding a fly fishing, catch and release guide out in forks :D

TribalDragon911 and Bob Triggs like this.