Galloup Troutsman Hex SBS

Discussion in 'Fly Tying Step by Step / Video' started by ScottP, Apr 14, 2014.

1. ScottP Active Member

Ratings: +804 / 0
    [IMG]

Kelly devised this fly in the late 70's for the hexagenia hatch (hence the name); change colors to suit your supersized mayfly hatch. Original had bucktail underbody, deer hair used here; your choice.

hook - TMC 5212 #6
    thread - UTC 140 hopper yellow
    tail - moose mane
    underbody - deer hair yellow
    overbody - deer hair
    wing - calf tail
    hackle - brown/grizzly mix

mash barb, start thread at 75% mark

[IMG]

clean, stack (good luck with this), measure (hook shank) a good clump of calftail

[IMG]

two soft loops, then really lean on it wrapping back (don't go in front of the initial wraps or all is lost); no place for wimpy thread here (UTC is the bomb), you don't want a spun calftail wing

[IMG]

trim the butts, brush a little Sally and smooth with thread wraps

[IMG]

push the hair up and back, creasing it with your thumbnail; make a thread dam in front with a few firm wraps

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

split, figure-8, post, lock wrap behind, post, lock wrap behind, Sally (apologies for the focus; tall wing exposes my camera's lack of depth)

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

invert; clean, stack a sparse clump of deer hair, tie in by tips and wrap back to point above (actually below in the inverted position)

[IMG]

[IMG]

flip it back over; clean, stack, measure (hook shank) some moose mane, tie in and wrap forward, creating smooth intersection with wing butts

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

invert again, pull deer hair forward keeping it on the underside, although it looks like the topside (confusing) and tie off at 70% mark

[IMG]

[IMG]

trim butts and return to the upright position (last time, promise)

[IMG]

clean, stack, measure (a bit past the bend) a clump of deer hair

[IMG]

tie in, keep the hair on top then continue wraps back towards the tail segmenting all the way, give a firm pull at the tail to flare the tips; return to the front with crossing wraps, trim butts

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

tie in hackles

[IMG]

wrap (get as many turns in as you can; this is a lot of iron and bushy is better); half hitch x 2, SHHAN

[IMG]

frontal

[IMG]

dorsal

[IMG]

Off to the Beaverhead valley for some grouse counting; later

Regards,
    Scott
    McNasty and Teenage Entomologist like this.
  2. Teenage Entomologist Gotta love the pteronarcys.

Red Bluff, CA
    Ratings: +202 / 0
    Went shooting yesterday with my bro's 12 gauge. First Sacramento River Rainbow trout I've caught on my fly rod too.Took my own fly, a #8 Soft Hackle Salmonfly. Under a thingamabobber. Pretty cool hex.
    image.jpg
  3. Russ Kendall Member

Yakima Valley
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    Outstanding tying and teaching Scott. Thanks for taking so much time to teach great tying technique for tyers like myself that need to continue to expand our tying technique arsenal.

Best wishes,
    Russ