Galvan T-12 vs. Spey Co. Reels

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by fshnazn, Aug 20, 2008.

1. fshnazn

fshnazn Member

Media:
    Thinking of purchasing a Galvan Torque 12 for a two hander but was intrigued by Spey Company's reels. Any of you fine folks have any thoughts or preferences on these two reels?
    I have fished Galvans for SH rods and really like them, but the Spey Company Reels are really classy as well and are about the same price range.

2. Coonhound Jed

Coonhound Jed New Member

Media:
    weird, I was thinking of posting the same question. I really like the spey company reels and I also really like the galvans. For me, it is whether I want click and pawl or modern disc drag. The other reel I was looking at is the Hardy Zane. I am leaning towards the spey company though, does anyone know what the current wait is for one of these reels?

3. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Media:
    The Galvan would be much more versatile if you ever want to use it for something other than on a spey rod. If you ever decide to go albacore fishing or take a trip to Baja or the Keys, you could use it there.

4. Coach Duff

Coach Duff Banned or Parked

Media:
    I can only speak on the Galvans as we are a Galvan outfitter. We fish Galvans every day in some salty, coral head filled, big wild assed fish, shitty conditions (Hawaii) and they perform both from a drag and performance standpoint and they are bulletproof. I've had clients drop them, fall on them and more or less beat the shit out of them, and they come back for more. I own and have owned Tibors, Abels, and other high end saltwater reels and all of them are great reels, but the Galvan Torques are pretty damn impressive. Light as hell too. Just my two cents, I am positive both companies make a hell of a reel. The Galvan is a great choice for fresh/salt double duty. Duffer

5. Porter

Porter Active Member

iagree Yes, the Galvan is a very very good reel. apinetrout pointed out another reason to consider a galvan....you just never know when a trip to Mexico or somewhere with great salt water fishing will happen. :)

6. C O D Y

C O D Y Oh, this is so good it just HAS to be fattening.

I'm sure they are both great reels. I picked up a Galvan T-10 for a new rod and it's feels GREAT!

7. fshnazn

fshnazn Member

Media:
    Good point fellows about "fresh/salt double duty". I am leaning towards getting the Torque since I'm already familiar with it. Anyone with thoughts on the Spey company reels?

8. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Coach, should you decide that you want to send some of those abused but still bulletproof Galvans to a good home, I'd be glad to put one on my echo2 3wt, zaxis 5wt, rs4 7wt or lamiglas 8wt. Then I can test a true top quality reel and get my learn on (as the kids would say these days).

9. Kevin Giusti

Kevin Giusti New Member

The spey company reels are very nice. Im very happy with my summer spey. An excellent design and a well built reel. There solid for sure. Tight tolerances great detail and have an excellent roar to em. Ive never owned a Galvan but have heard nothing but good things. Its a tough choice. I certainly wouldnt bring my speyco. reel on a bonefishing trip with Coach Duff! Id lean towards a Galvan for salt use for sure! So youve got the double duty and durability of the Galvan, and you got the roar of that speyco. as a steelhead tears off downriver. Tough choice but at least its a win win one! Kevin

10. Chukar Spey

Chukar Spey I'll take Chukar & Steelhead all day, every day!

I agree 100% with the comments on the Galvan. It is a battle tested reel that will certainly meet the needs of the job. However, one more thing you might consider, some (including myself) have started to really look at spey reels and the balancing of the rod. Having a good counter balance to help lift the line off the water may seem insignificant, but for my casting taste, I would prefer a reel that would "Balance" the rod. The lighter Galvan might not provide that....IF that is something that is important to you.

I had this same issue with looking at double duty amont other things. For me it came down to the fact that I might make 1 or 2 saltwater trips in as many years and I opted for a non-salt reel.

$0.02

11. Rich McCauley

Rich McCauley Meiser & Mohlin

Media:
    You are looking at totally different reel in every respect. I don’t own Galvans, but will certainly take the word of those who do. They are very versatile and will serve you very well. They are a mass produced reel, with precision, excellent quality tolerances, etc. and a totally modern look. No criticism just an observation.

Spey Company reels are in the class of Traditional Salmon Reels. They are hand made, no CNC machining, or sealed drag, but are aslo very tight tolerances and excellent overall workmanship. If you get them near saltwater you will destroy the reel in short order. There are 3 static drag settings determined by changing internal spring rods. There is no external drag adjustment, nor a spool rim that can be palmed. The spool face plate rotates, but with ventilation holes, it would prove to be rather uncomfortable to "palm" the spool. They are a single purpose reel, the lightest being approximately 12oz, I don’t see them being used on a freshwater single handed rod. I bought the Summer Spey because I love the classic look, not because of versatility.

I don't know the current wait time, and assume it would depend on the model and options you wanted. In talking to Tim the other day, he mentioned that he needed to turn some more reel frames and spools for the Summer Spey as I had gotten the last one of his initial run.

12. C O D Y

C O D Y Oh, this is so good it just HAS to be fattening.

13. Rich McCauley

Rich McCauley Meiser & Mohlin

Media:
    Cody,

I absolutely agree regarding weight and balance. The Spey Company also offers a weighting system in 1/2oz increments. Again the Galvan with a lower starting weight is more versatile.

Rich

14. fshnazn

fshnazn Member

Media:
    Great info for me to digest, Gents. Thank you. I really liked the traditional aspect of the Spey Co Reels and also understood the proper balance in a two-handed outfit. The handmade craftsmanship of the Spey Co reel also adds to the allure of its beauty. I know that both reels(Galvans and Spey Co) have their own following and they're used for distinct reasons. For some reason, as much as I want to get a traditional reel, I just feel that a classic should belong in the hands of one who has put in they're time on the water and has fully appreciated the tradition of the two-hander. I might be wrong, but a handmade reel might be better suited on a rod that is not mass-produced. I would feel pretentious with a traditional reel on my rod at this point in my life. I guess I'm stuck with functionality for the meantime. Thanks for your replies. Keep 'em coming, maybe you could sway my purchase;)

15. obiwankanobi

obiwankanobi Active Member

Media:
    I'm probably the only one on the planet that purchased a Galvan Torque reel and did not like it. This reel was used for my salt purposes and was cleaned and properly maintained and after only a summer of use, the drag system stopped working. I could switch it to its lightest setting or crank it down to its heaviest setting, only for these two settings to be the same...

Sent the reel in for repair..

Next season with a repaired reel on my rod, I used it for almost a summer and the same thing happened with my drag settings. I returned this reel back to where I originally purchased it from and upgraded to an Abel Super 6, which has been impeccable in its performance.

Given that so many have had great success with Galvan products, my reel was probably a fluke but I am deterred from ever buying these reels for any of my fly fishing needs.

16. herl

herl Member

Wow - you sure picked two very different reels to puzzle over. Not that you would ever put a Spey Co reel on a tarpon rod, but if you did - I believe they have an anodized finish that could stand up to the saltwater. Not positive on that though.

Of course the Galvan would be most practical - but if I got a vote I would vote for you to buy the Spey Co. reel. They are just cool and there is something to be said for supporting passionate craftsmen who make quality products. And - if you were considering this from a monetary/investment point of view then you should definitely go with the Spey Co reel, far more likely to retain its value and/or become a family heirloom.

17. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

Media:
    I think chukar hit the nail on the head with the balance thing. in addition to the ease of casting aspect, I spend so much more time standing there holding my "fishpole" and looking at the birdies:rolleyes:, waiting for a take, that balancing the rod between casts becomes a real fatigue-preventer. I have a friend who was just complaining about hand pain the other day and he traced it back to the way he has to hold his 16' rod during the swing, and he's looking at a speyco now too for balance reasons.
    I've been jumped on in these pages for the heresy of suggesting a Lamson Litespeed for albacore, but since then have spoken to some Albacore guides and one of them has LS4s in his rotation and they get used for albies...though he says his favorite is the Bauer MXs--so I guess what I'm saying is you may be able to have your cake and eat it too, if you do some careful shopping you may be able to score both a nice traditional reel and also pick up a reel for saltwater too; if you look at lots of brands in lots of places there's always a deal somewhere, and getting out of the box makes that easier to accomplish.
    Regards, Spaz

18. Mingo

Mingo the Menehune stole my beer

Media:
    Gotta agree with Duff, Alpine and Porterhouse on this.......Galvan is super versatile cost effective shit that is tough with a killer drag system. Another option.......maybe more trad looking (a bit), a tiny bit heavier than a Torque (an ounce) but the same killer drag and cheaper too would be a Galvan R-12 instead of a T-12. I have a couple Torques and a Rush 12 wt and that thing is tough as nails. Matte black, wicked looking in a traditional way and bombproof. Just some food for thought.............

19. g_smolt

g_smolt Recreational User

Media:
    I had the same problem as Obi, with both my t-8 and my t-10.

Gnarly drag surge after only a few months...granted, I put a hell of a lot of use into them, but they shouldn't burn out that damn fast.

I have since moved on to Nautilus for an 8 and Abel for a 10/spey.

20. fshnazn

fshnazn Member

Media:
    Brothers,
    I made up my mind on the reel. I've fished with Galvans for a long time and have never had a problem with any of their reels. The Spey Company reels are real sweet looking, but they'll have to wait for the next "arrow in the quiver" (hopefully a Meiser - it'll be a while). Thanks for each of your input. And thanks to Poppy, he runs a good business.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Adrian.