Galvan Torque vs. Ross Evolution LT

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by snugpie, Jul 27, 2013.

1. snugpie

snugpie Member

I just picked up a T-4 and am veeeery impressed!! This is my first Galvan and the majority of my other reels are Ross. I will be picking up a new 6wt reel here shortly, and would love to hear thoughts and opinions on durability, quality, drag, etc of each.

2. NCL

NCL Active Member

I am a very big fan of Galvan reels having purchased several including a couple in the Torque series. I also have a Ross CLA 6 which has served me very well. I did have one problem with a Galvan, sent it back for service and got it back very fast. They explained they had gotten a bad batch of reel lubricant and it had caused the problem. If I was in the market for a reel and money was not an object I would stay with the Torque series. With that said I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

3. snugpie

snugpie Member

Thanks for the feedback! I do enjoy the fact that Galvan is small, family run, and organized. Not to mention, as much of a Ross guy as I am, I think the Galvan's are a bit beefier. :mad:

4. tkww

tkww Member

Media:
    I used a T-...don't remember--it was for a 6 wt. Used it for 2-3 years and finally sold it. For me, the drag had way too much start-up inertia, but only when in use in the field. Hard to explain, but at home or in the shop, seemed like the drag had a lot of range and subtle adjustment. When I got out to the water, I basically couldn't get line to go out with the drag wide open. And we're talking about steelhead. (Granted on a small streams, but still, plenty of strength/room to take line.) I didn't have any other problems with the reel. I'm sure it could stop a freight train, but it was always the other end of the spectrum that I was worried about. If I assisted the start then it seemed to have the appropriate amount of tension. But the start-up was a no-go.

Never had an experience like that with any other reel. Only thing close was a Ross CLA in a trout size (5 wt)--it simply didn't open up enough for my preference, particularly for trout. That said, it's start-up and drag were consistent, it just wasn't light enough for what I wanted. So I eventually sold both. I have several older ross evo's and rhythms and love them, and a couple lamsons, a couple of orvis reels and a reddington.

5. snugpie

snugpie Member

Interesting...I've never heard of an issue such as that before! did you call Galvan to see if they could explain the reason behind it? Do you think you had the drag turned too tight? I ask that because any reel will simply begin to "lock up" when the drag is set extremely high, causing the start up inertia to be much higher than normal.

6. fly punk

fly punk lunatic trout bum

i own about 6 galvans love em! never had a problem with any of em. and they have taken some abuse. lol

7. NCL

NCL Active Member

Actually, if I understand what TKWW is describing was the issue why I send my reel back to Galvan and was advised of the lubricant issue. It has been a few years and if I remember correctly the weather/cold was what effected the lubricant, thus his outdoor experience versus in-doors. It may be a different issue but sure sounds the same.

8. snugpie

snugpie Member

Well we seem to have different experiences. How cold are we talking? :eek: I could see where the cold temperatures cause the viscosity of the lubricant to change though.

9. snarlac

snarlac Member

I like them both, the LT is slightly preferred to me in these respects:
    - trimmer (narrower) profile) in the Ross
    - Ross, I believe, is a little lighter
    - slightly better fit/tolerances of the spool in the reel in the Ross
    - I like the sound of the clicker in the Ross
    - range in the drag is "just right" (the Galvan has too much range, too many turns to tighten).
    - LT drag is much better than some of the other Ross models (like CLA); not sure why

The Galvan drag knob is easier to grab than the Ross, and the arbor a little wider. The Galvan drag is also very good.

10. snugpie

snugpie Member

It is slightly lighter, and would agree that the Galvan does have a HUGE range, which is awesome, yet excessive. The Evolution LT uses conical drag system and is very smooth, but the smoothest drag I've ever seen is the Ross F1 without a doubt. Reel is butter smooth...too bad I only have the #4. I just need to compare them both on my rod and then go from there.