game wardens authority

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by rotato, Mar 12, 2009.

  1. rotato

    rotato Active Member

    curious can gamies give tickets for lack of pfd's or flares etc.

    i was fishing yesterday an had two gamies question me
    thats right two gamies on the kp
    my wife is going to lose her teaching job due to budget cuts but there are two gamies with huge new trucks pestering me in my fishing hole

    so back to the question the second warden was asking if my pfd was wearable or was to sit on (he could see)
    good thing he couldnt see the mason jar of whiskey
    he made me pull anchor and pole over to him to check my paperwork
    he then decided he didnt want to get his feet mucky and asked for my name..

    i know these guys carry some serious fire power but what is there realm of authority
  2. Go Fish

    Go Fish Language, its a virus

    You need to check the rules...
    I think that in a kick boat like
    an Outcast FatCat you do not
    need a pfd. In a pontoon boat
    you do.
  3. Matt Burke

    Matt Burke Active Member

    I would say that they are law enforcement. So if they see other violations not pertaining to game management, the are obligated to uphold the law.
  4. FB

    FB New Member

    A game warden should be treated the same as any law enforcement officer. They can question you, ticket you, arrest you, take your boat, shoot you, pretty much anything they decide is nessasary. Don't mess with them!
  5. Mark Walker

    Mark Walker Active Member

    and most important; they don't need a "warrant"!!
  6. rockfish

    rockfish Member

    I've got a no pfd from them before when I was younger, as far as there authority there basically state patrol. They have a scoped rifle and pump shotgun to go along with there handgun on there person.
  7. rotato

    rotato Active Member

    sheesh i better clean up my act
  8. Mike T

    Mike T Active Member

    Nah, just bring an lawyer with you when you go fish. I've seen more enforcement in Kitsap and the peninsula than I have elsewhere.

    Sorry to hear about your wife's position. My wife also teaches and her principal yesterday was talking about possible staff cuts. I understand the parochial school in Gig Harbor has started letting teachers know their contracts wouldn't be renewed as enrollment is down.
  9. gt

    gt Active Member

    what safety equipment you need depends on what you were floating around in. the rules are pretty clear and easy to understand. during the discoderby one day was patrolled by the sheriffs boat, second day by the coasties in the 40footer and a rib boat. both were doing boardings checking for required safety gear.
  10. aquaholic

    aquaholic New Member

    seen em' in camo scoping people with infared at the ass crack of dawn up on the sammish. no joke. these guys can also give you speeding tickets.
  11. Steve Saville

    Steve Saville Active Member

    If your pontoon boat has a number on it, and most over 7ft do, you must wear a pfd.
  12. gt

    gt Active Member

    registration numbering is only required if you have a motor propelling your floating device. that said, a pontoon boat is a floating device and requires that you have a pfd on board. if you choose to use an inflatable pfd, it will only be considered as 'required equipment' IF you are wearing it when you get stopped. simply having an inflatable pfd with you will get you cited. heads up folks, dems'da rules.
  13. BFK

    BFK Member

    Since wearing a PFD is not a requirement in a boat-- you must have one for each passenger plus a throwable, though-- why is it different for pontoons? Can anyone give me alink to the specific reg that says a PFD must be worn by someone in an inflatable craft?
  14. gt

    gt Active Member

    BFK, my comments were ONLY concerning inflatable pfd's. lets say you have 2 people in your boat and 2 inflatable pfd's. neither person is wearing their inflatables and you are stopped. you will be cited. now if you also had 2 'regular' pfd's in addition to the inflatables, no citation. it has to do with the clasification of a pfd and how inflatables fit that definition. they only count in your inventory of pfd's if they are being worn. so you could have a 'regular' pfd on your pontoon boat, not wearing it, and you would be fine.
  15. Steve Kokita

    Steve Kokita FISHON206

    I wear my inflatable in my pontoon. Years back, they were issuing tickets at Lenice. $67, the same price I paid for my waist pack Sospenders. This style doesn't impede my casting, and even though I can swim, the water is cold and inflatables won't save your ass if you flip or crash your boat and you hit the water without it. Kinda like the helmet law.:hmmm:
  16. Bert Kinghorn

    Bert Kinghorn Formerly "nextcast"

    WA Boating Regs

    The basics on WA boating outfit requirements are outlined here:

    There is more in other chapters, but this section covers much of what is being discussed in this thread.
  17. Jim Speaker

    Jim Speaker Active Member

    The only thing that remains unclear to me about the boat registration law is whether or not, and if so which parts of the puget sound might be considered Federal Waters. By my reckoning, based on many documents I just read, Federal Waters begin 3 miles offshore and extend to 200. Whereas State Waters are those from 0 up to 3 miles from shore. If my understanding of said definitions are true, then there is indeed no need for me to register/number my 12' aluminum with 5hp motor as long as I'm fishing the inlets and bays of the South Sound. If I put 10hp+ on the back then it needs numbers, thus the popularity of the 9.9hp?? If anyone can point me to something that really clarifies the boundaries of Federal Waters I would appreciate it, really want to ensure my boat is in compliance in all respects.
  18. gt

    gt Active Member

    i would guess that if you are operating a boat with a motor anywhere in salt water, you had best have your boat registered. same would hold true for fresh water lakes, the columbia and so forth. if it has a motor, it needs to be registered, is the long and short of it. then, you need to check out the required safety gear required for a boat of your length.
  19. BFK

    BFK Member

    I do know that if the waters are patrolled by the Coasties, you can figure they are under federal jurisdiction. These waters include anything salt and the Columbia and Snake Rivers. Lake Roosevelt, for instance, is a federal water and one must abide by federal regs.
  20. BFK

    BFK Member

    WA Boating Regs

    The page you've linked, Bert, was for operators of "personal water craft" or jet skis.

    On this page, you'll find the regs for wearing PFDs in other craft. Thanks for that.

    While wearing a PFD is a good idea whenever you're on the water, it's not required for 'toons, float tubes, and similar boats, nor for prams or kayaks.

    Edit: I did some searching, and here's Washington's take on jurisdiction:

    Federally Controlled Waters

    Waters on which vessels must observe federal requirements, including VDS requirements; these waters include:

    Coastal waters
    Bays, sounds, harbors, rivers, inlets, and some lakes
    Territorial seas
    Bodies of water connected directly to one of the above, up to a point where the body of water is less than two miles wide

    I'll add that if you are boating near any military installation, you may well be boarded by the Coasties even if the waters are less than two miles wide, as I've been there and had it happen--twice. When you get boarded, they give you a full inspection, and all of your gear better be up to specs and Coast Guard approved if required. You also must have the current registration papers on board with you.