NFR Gaming Laptops?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Mark Walker, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Mark Walker Active Member

So. Cal.
    Ratings: +201 / 1
    Pretty NFR!
    Any members here wizards on these things?
    I'm lost when it comes to these!
    PM's will do.
    Thanks.......
  2. Flyborg Active Member

Kalama, WA
    Ratings: +583 / 0
    Dell has some decent ones. Alienware is overpriced but will do the job. Personally, I hate gaming on a laptop, but they definitely travel.

Edit: Looks like Toshiba and Asus have some gamer laptops--I trust Asus brand quite a bit as a long time consumer of their hardware. I only buy Asus and Toshiba laptops at work, so I expect their gaming rigs are decent.
  3. David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Walla Walla, WA
    Ratings: +619 / 0
    I'm an IT geek by trade and a long time PC gamer. So first thing I'll say is, unless $ is no object, gaming and laptop are still kind of an oxymoron. HOWEVER, it depends greatly on what kind of games you want to play. Are we talking online solitaire and 21 or are we talking WoW, Elder Scrolls and Crysis 2?

No matter what you buy, a solid state hard disk will make a world of improvement for the laptop's performance. We've been retrofitting (upgrading) works systems with excellent results. I added a Solid State Drive (SSD) to a 2009 Apple I own (I use/support both PC and Apple) and it was night and day.

Let me know what you want to run on it, and I'd be glad to give specific suggestions (I offer no guarantees).
  4. IveofIone Active Member

Ratings: +887 / 0
    Damn, Mark! If you had purchased that place on Houghton Street we would be fishing every day and you wouldn't have time for this nonsense. Eight fish yesterday 15 -21" and out again tomorrow at daybreak.

Have fun punchin' keys, I'll be washing fish slime fish off instead.

Ive
    constructeur likes this.
  5. fisherjon Member

Oak Harbor,Washington
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    if your really into it i know the best thing is to just build your own i know they have kits for it i think but alienware is way to overpriced and i know people who absolutely hate alienware because they can build a pc or laptop for like a 5th of the price that is way faster and better but i would just look for a laptop with the most storage space and suff something that can handle alot of data what type of games are you planning on playing?
  6. mwdehaan Member

Omak, WA
    Ratings: +9 / 0
    I'm with David. Ask us what you want it to do. I'd happily give you my suggestions as well. Once you get the basic recommendations from a few people who've built their own computers you'll get a ballpark price figured out pretty quickly.

As for the people knocking Alienware, there's a reason it's so expensive. Read what goes into every computer beyond the hardware, it's pretty insane. I'd go with them if I had 5 grand to drop on a computer.
  7. Mark Walker Active Member

So. Cal.
    I picked up the Asus G75VW-BBK5 last night. Factory warranty was transferable and good until the end of '07-13 and it also had a 2yr tech support plan from Best Buy where it was originally purchased. Not sure of the quality of the tech support yet, but considered it a plus in the deal.
    Any suggestions on improving the performance components for gaming or just leave it alone?
  8. Flyborg Active Member

Kalama, WA
    Nice buy man. You still haven't told us what you plan on playing on it. Don't be shy, dude. Being geek is chic. I play League of Legends, a variety of MMO's, RTS's and the occasional FPS. League and RTS games are the only ones I'd personally play on a laptop.

With FPS style games and resource intensive MMO's, you'll be looking to maximize frame rates. Usually it's going to be RAM and a better Video Card, but as David pointed out, SSD's can also have an impact on many games depending on their drive reads after they load into memory. This tends to be especially true for RTS's, load times for MMO's etc. Basically anything where you're accessing the drive directly.

Honestly, it looks like a pretty nice laptop. You should be able to manage any current MMO's, RTS's and MOBA games without issue. If you're looking to be a competitive FPSer, though, your first upgrade will be to a full PC :)
  9. Mark Walker Active Member

So. Cal.
    Thanks Flyborg.
    I thinking memory and SSD upgrade. Unfortunately video card isn't upgradable, but the nVidia GeForce GTX 660M 2GB got decent reviews.
    I have to admit the tech stuff pretty foreign to me.
    Gamewise..1st person shooters are my favorite. Loved the Unreal Tournament series and would like to get back into it having been unable to game for a few years now.:(
    Like to know what other games of this genre are favored.............
  10. Flyborg Active Member

Kalama, WA
    If you're looking for online FPS, you can't go wrong with the various Call of Duty or Battlefield games. Team Fortress 2 and Counterstrike still have a huge server base as well. For single player FPS games, I have no idea on what's currently hot, but if you haven't played them,you should check out Halflife 1 and 2, FEAR, Far Cry, or Crysis 1&2.
  11. Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Outer Duvall
    Ratings: +215 / 1
    Mark

Excellent suggestions by Flyborg but be aware that the original Far Cry and Half Life 1 are a bit dated but still worth the experience if you havent had the opportunity.

I'd suggest Far Cry 2. Its a completely different outdoor, open world game environment that encourages using a different approach each time you play through. Also try the most recent Medal of Honor and don't forget the whole Ghost Recon series. For games that allow you to set your own pace you can't beat the earlier editions of Splinter Cell.

All contemporary games benefit from a larger screen and more horsepower.

TC
  12. Mark Walker Active Member

So. Cal.
    Thanks for the suggestions and i'll look into them as time allows
    Are all of these compatible with the latest Windows? I know some of the earlier games will only run on XP(UT for one:()
  13. Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Outer Duvall
    Ratings: +215 / 1
    The latest windows (7) will allow you to run them all. With some of them you may have to tell windows to emulate an earlier version of windows. Its very easy to do and windows will usualy suggest it and walk you through it if needed. Most will run right out of the box.

TC
  14. Mark Walker Active Member

So. Cal.
    I should have said when you want to play on line, they won't work...................
    Playing within the game(disk) itself will work.
  15. atomic dog Jive Turkey

Pasco
    Ratings: +155 / 0
    Team Fortress 2 is good times...
  16. Mark Walker Active Member

So. Cal.
    By shere miracle, some blind fiddling, and fearful updatng, I'm back playing on line!
    Looking at the online program "Steam" for games and info. Anybody use this?
  17. David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Walla Walla, WA
    Ratings: +619 / 0
    I abuse Steam for all of my purchases. Good system. Nobody else has really created an online software purchasing system that is as good as what Valve came up with when they made Steam.

If you want to browse what is out there...Steam is great.

Also, while not technically FPS, I am always glad to recommend Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas. Mixture of story telling adventuring, but all from FPS perspective and lots of FPS action.
  18. Mark Walker Active Member

So. Cal.
    Thanks, David. Steam seems to be the way to go.
    I'll check the games out.
  19. Chris Banta Member

ferndale
    Ratings: +10 / 0
    i have an Asus republic of gamers laptop and i love it works great. i play world of tanks on it which lagged my hp real bad but not my Asus. i paid $1100 for it