Gangs in rural Grant County?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by casaboba, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Kcahill Active Member

Renton, WA
    Ratings: +262 / 2

This
  2. Broderick Smith SeaToTree

SeaToTree, WA
    Ratings: +39 / 0
    Last summer i was at Beda with a friend; some strange folks in the parking lot. we watched 'em walk off into the brush and said F it and put our boats in. Later on in the day i started noticing more WDFW officers in the area. When we pulled out they had the guys in hand cuffs and turns out they busted a new grow op out next to the lake. I'm sure its pretty common out there...
  3. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,726 / 0
    Is that a twelve gauge in your waste band or are you just happy to see me?
  4. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,574 / 0
    All this is further evidence that if our society had half a brain, we would simply legalize drugs across the board. Gangs and cartels are only interested in drug manufacture and trafficking because of the huge profit potential. Legalize drugs and the profit potential becomes about the same as with tobacco and alcohol. Put the cartels (and DEA) out of work. Still put a shoot on sight tag on all gang members tho, making the world a better place, one dead gangbanger at a time.

Sg
  5. Upton O Blind hog fisherman

out of state now
    Ratings: +211 / 0
    I had a very uncomfortable situation at a state park on the west side of Puget Sound my first summer of researching for beaches to fish. There were four non-Hispanics, all adorned with gang tattoos, they were not fishing, crabbing or just out enjoying the splenders of the great Pacific northwest. I don't even like to remember it as I write about it. I have no doubt what so ever that if there hadn't been two other individuals in the immediate area I would have been a victim. I also figured out that I would never bring a fly rod to a possible gun fight again.
  6. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,601 / 2
    I'd vote for you
  7. Rick Sharp Member

West Richland, WA 99353
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    So do you ask for time out so the over priced fly gear can carefully be placed in a safe area before you pull you gun and shoot a GB, brandishing a weapon will get you killed. Not a good idea for 99% of the people who carry them. Think twice.

No I'm not the other 1% I don't carry a weapon except during hunting season.
  8. troutramp Member

Mulino Oregon
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Well I wouldnt know really what kind of problem you might have in Grant county, I doubt it is as Bad as the south Phoenix nieghborhood I grew up in, and still spend a percentage of my time. From the reactions on this board after reading them, I conclude there may be a problem in your neck of the woods. Of course one dumb ass wanna be gangster constitutes a problem doesnt it? If you are seeing mexican drug cartel invasion I say good let your representitive know, If Washington And Oregon could join AZ in suing the federal government to Stop the drug cartels at the border our world would be a better place.
  9. James Harrington Member

Gig Harbor, WA
    Ratings: +26 / 0
    Gotta be honest, this all throws me off a bit.

I used to live in South Austin, TX and get my hair cut by a guy named Lalo who had a very obvious gang tattoo in between his thumb and forefinger and would definitely shoot me or anyone else who messed with him. But he was a hell of a barber and always treated me with respect. Plus, he he gave a great haircut at a very reasonable $9.

Also in Austin, I could drive about 10 miles outside the city limit and encounter drunk and amphetamine fueled white folks who would shoot me or anyone else who messed with them. Some of those people would also fix a lawnmower for you (or your truck for that matter) in exchange for a 12-pack
    of Lone Star.

I've heard that out in Tahuya, where I frequently drive to go fish, there's more criminal activity than anyone wants to know about.

There are bad people and good people everywhere.

Just my two cents here:

-pack if you want to pack, that's your right.
    -fish where you want to fish, that's your right also (provided its on accessible land)
    -practice some good judgment (if someone wants to "F" with you, they likely will do so if you perpetuate the hostility), and don't antagonize people.
    -protect yourself when necessary-and use the same knowledge and discretion you do when selecting that perfect fly for the situation you find yourself in.

Finally, if you are seeing "quote,unquote," GANG activity in the areas where you go to fish, you probably need to seek out better waters which will prove more productive and grant the solitude which most outdoorsmen/women seek.
  10. FlyFshn'Fool Member

Where there's water!
    Ratings: +2 / 0

This is another issue, for another time, but you don't ever brandish a firearm. If you carry, and if you pull it, odds are 99.9% you will have to use it. Just because you have it, doesn't mean you have to pull it. Greatest words that were ever spoken to me with regards to carry, and they are as true today as they were then, "If I ever have to unholster my firearm, my mind has already been made up that I will probably have to pull the trigger and I am prepared to do so." Pulling a firearm in an attempt to scare someone, that will only get you in deeper trouble.
  11. Big Tuna Member

Wenatchee, Washington
    Ratings: +39 / 0
    Wow! Now we're getting enlightened. For someone who's "from here," you have an amazing capacity with the English language.
  12. Drifter Active Member

Ratings: +633 / 2
    What is it with Yakima . i've known of big cocaine drug trafficking in that city since the late 80's , its a small town - and the city cant take care of it ??? any other small town would of taken care of the problem years ago!
  13. Blake Harmon Active Member

Spokane, Washington
    Ratings: +134 / 0
    not that small, thats part of the problem
  14. Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Yakima, WA
    Ratings: +291 / 0
    Are you serious? Any other small town would take care of it? Do you even know the crime stats in Yakima that are gang related? Do you realize that a gang related shooting occurs just about every day here? I have personally worked at "taking care of the problem years ago" and I'll tell you one thing, these guys aren't like normal bangers. They don't just target other bangers. Starting in 2004 there was a hit placed on LE. There are lots of them, they are WELL connected to Mexico, they are well funded, they are very much organized, and they aren't afraid of the police.

Cocaine is the thing of the past. It's meth and marijuana. No longer do they have to traffic it here. It's being manufactured/grown here and trafficed OUT. We are in the center of the hornet's nest here in Yakima.

You know, there have been entire units dedicated to this problem that can't solve it, that have since been disbanded. I will agree with you, it's a problem, but it's nothing local LE can handle on their own. Hell, even with the fed presence here, it doesn't always work.

It's just such a multifaceted problem to just assume it can be handled overnight.

And you guys that have laughed at me for carrying a gun at all times. Yea, stick your head in the sand some more. I'll tell you what, you want a reason to carry a firearm, next time you're in Yakima, look me up, I'll take you for a ride around town. Hell, if you want, I'll even get you into a marked car just so you can see the difference.
  15. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,574 / 0
    I don't understand why gangbangers would be attracted to a WDFW public access and boat launch as a place to hang out. What's up with that? Is that where their deals go down? Do gangbangers like to fish? (I wouldn't have thought so.)

If police can't gain some control over the gang situation, they seriously need to change the rules of engagement. Of course my suggestions probably seem biased to some even tho they are directed specifically at protecting society.

Sg
  16. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    I always like these rules of engagement.

1. Be courteous to everyone, friendly to no one.
    2. Decide to be aggressive enough, quickly enough.
    3. Have a plan.
    4. Have a back-up plan, because the first one probably won't work.
    5. Be polite. Be professional, but, have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
    6. Do not attend a gunfight with a handgun whose caliber does not start with a "4."
    7. Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive.
    8. Move away from your attacker. Distance is your friend. (Lateral & diagonal preferred.)
    9. Use cover or concealment as much as possible.
    10. Flank your adversary when possible. Protect yours.
    11. Always win. There is no unfair fight.
    12. In ten years nobody will remember the details of caliber, stance, or tactics. They will only remember who lived.
    13. If you are not shooting, you should be communicating your intention to shoot.
  17. Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Yakima, WA
  18. Matthew LeBret Active Member

clarkston, wa
    Ratings: +76 / 0
    Its been a long time sents I have heard this argument....... and I still agree with it
  19. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Nice article. It is about time they put these punks away. My brother in law, who was in law inforcement at the time, was shot and killed in Sunnyside about 15 years ago. The shooter was captured in Los Angles after he was wounded in a shootout with LA law enforcement. He got 10 years,,,,,,,,, 10 frickin' years.
  20. Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Yakima, WA
    I'm sorry to hear that Kerry. Justice isn't always swift and not always just.

That IS pretty absurd.