Gary LaFontaine's Airhead?

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Kent Lufkin, Sep 12, 2006.

1. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Ratings: +1,225 / 0
    After seeing a pic of the fly in the latest Northwest Flyfishing it looked like a pattern I'd like to try. Looks simple enough with a dubbed body, an elk or deer hair downwing, and some sheet foam wrapped into a bullet head and wingcase. Trouble is, I can't seem to figure out what shape to cut the foam into or how to tie it in. Can anyone help?

TIA,

K
  2. Evan Casteel Small Stream Fanatic

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I agree with you, the picture does not show much of the fly or how its constructed. I was also puzzled with the foam. Maybe someone could direct us on how this is constructed or provide a link to a source.
  3. halcyon Hallelujah, I'm a Bum!!!

Vancouver, WA, USA.
    You cut 6 thin strips several of appropriate length and tie them around the hook with the butts back and the long ends over the hook eye. Then form a bullet head like you would with hair for a bullet head streamer and cut the ends to the length you want behind the tie down point.

Regards,
  4. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Thanks Halcyon. By 'thin' stips, do you mean wide? If so, about how wide?

TIA,

K
  5. halcyon Hallelujah, I'm a Bum!!!

Vancouver, WA, USA.
    Here are the instructions right from the Horses' Mouth (so to speak) ... "HEAD: white foam strips (cut six or so thin strips of foam; tie them sticking out over the eye of the hook; pull them back and tie them down in a bullet head; clip a few strips from the bottom, but leave the rest of them as a collar."

[IMG]

So to answer your question I believe it means the width of each strip is not very large. Most likely for trout sized hooks they would range around 1/16" to 1/8" is my guess.

Regards,
  6. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Halcyon, thanks for your help. You're a prince!

K
  7. Matt Burke Active Member

Kenmore
    Ratings: +61 / 0
  8. Philster New Member

Ratings: +3 / 0
    That pic is perfect. Gary sometimes tied them with foam bodies too. took a marker to them to give them color but still be transluscent. These kill for me on small streams and places like the forks of the snoqualmie. Those greedy little cutts figure they'll kill it first, then decide if it's worth eating... A "royal" body airhead has never failed there for me. Grey body with a yellow underwing for really dark days.