Gary Loomis and CCA coming to Bellingham

Discussion in 'Events' started by AnglerontheFly, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Dear Fellow Anglers,

One of the most important things you can do this year for your fishery is come hear Gary Loomis speak on March 11. In February, my wife and I drove to Mt. Vernon to hear Gary speak on behalf of the Coastal Conservation Association (CCA) and for sport fishermen. It's not too late to save our fishery and CCA offers a proven track record, system and method that will enable us to save one of our most treasured resources and pastimes. This is a call to action and a call for support. Gary's talk is enlightening, motivating and entertaining. Please join me at this free informational speech. Bring your friends and your family and let us pack the house!

Date: Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Time: 6:30pm-8:30pm

Who: Anyone who is concerned about our fishery

Questions: Jason@angleronthefly.com

Jason Cross 360.927.4700

Sincerely,

Jason Cross

Angler on the Fly

(CCA press release below)

Anglers Organize for Coastal Conservation

Gary Loomis to give informational talks about Coastal Conservation Association chapters in the Pacific Northwest

VANCOUVER, WA - The fast-growing Pacific Northwest chapters of the Coastal Conservation Association (CCA) continue their membership recruiting drive with a series of information sessions by PNW Chairman Gary Loomis. Just 11 months after a handful of concerned anglers brought CCA to the Northwest, membership exceeds 4,000 and shows no signs of slowing.

"CCA is a grassroots advocacy organization, not a fishing club, and that makes it different from most groups in the country," said Matt Kayser, Executive Director of CCA PNW. "Our members are getting involved to change the future of fisheries in the Northwest. That is the strength of CCA."

Frustrated sports anglers are "refusing to let wild salmon populations disappear forever at the hands of commercial gillnetters," said Matt Olson, president of CCA Washington.

"Gary Loomis deserves much of the credit for bringing CCA to Washington and Oregon. He has been tireless in spreading the message and he has the visibility and charisma to draw attention to this issue," said David Cummins, CCA president.

"The plight of salmon is really motivating people by the hundreds to get involved in CCA. We have rarely seen this degree of frustration with a fishery and its management. People here know what is at stake and they are ready to do whatever they have to do to fix the situation."

CCA is the largest marine resource conservation group in the country, with more than 100,000 members in 17 state chapters along the Gulf, Atlantic, and Pacific coasts.

Hear Gary Loomis, Tuesday, March 11 at 6:30 PM

Bellingham, WA

Event and raffle hosted by Angler on the Fly

Bloedel Donovan Park Multi-Purpose Gymnasium

2214 Electric Avenue

2. Hey Guys, I've been away from the boards for a long time and thought I'd check in to see how things have been going on. As for me, I became a member of CCA last summer, and over the past few months have become actively involved in my local chapter: Sno-King, which meets the 4th Tuesday of every month at 3 Rivers Marine in Woodinville. We are also planning our first annual banquet scheduled for May 20th at The Everett Events Center.

Anyway, I can't say enough about this group, very professional. Everyone who enjoys fish needs to become a member, if it's fishing for fun or purchasing for the table. I heard Gary Loomis' talk last fall, and it certainly conviced me.

Des

3. I hope no feels like I'm stealing their thunder on this thread, but I'd like to announce another venue where Gary Loomis will be speaking.

April 8, 6:00-8:00 pm at Cabelas meeting room on the second floor, we are holding a chapter organizational meeting for Olympia. This is a priority for CCA right now due to the obvious proximity to all the agencies and the legislature.

Our main order of business is getting this chapter going, so this invitation is especially targeted to those seeking to take an active role in the association. It is also an excellent opportunity for members and interested parties to learn how to promote CCA in your own communities, hear the program from Gary, and network with others committed to preserving our prized fish populations.

4. It's tomorrow night. Hope to see you all there.

5. Jason,

While you're there, will you ask Gary or one of the CCA representatives the organizations official position on hatcheries, broodstock and wild fish?

I've contacted the CCA twice in order to determine their perspective and received no response to either inquirery.

6. I would be glad to. My guess is that at this time they will hold no official position because they take the war, one battle at a time. There position on hatcheries and hatchery reform and wild fish will eventually emerge.

7. Jason,
    Thank you for your reply and willingness to check their position, appreciate it.
    Chris

8. Jason,
    Wondering if you had an opportunity to ask Gary or one of the CCA representatives the questions and if so, what their answer was?