Gas Kicker on a 15 Smokercraft Alaskan

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by yakoun, Aug 29, 2013.

1. yakoun

yakoun New Member

I'm hoping to get a gas kicker for my smokercraft alaskan for a couple of reasons, namely
    1) A number of the lakes I want to fish have 10 hp restrictions
    2) With the high sides of my alaskan, the 30 lb thrust stern mounted minn kota I currently have gets me absolutely bullied around by anything stronger than a moderate wind.

I know I could buy a 55 lb thrust electric, but I'm really trying to avoid implementing any type of electric trolling "systems" that involve multiple batteries, charging systems, auto-pilots and the like. As much as I wish I did, I simply don't have the time nor inclination to devote to maintaining anything complicated (installing on-board chargers, dealing with multiple batteries, etc). Also, I want to be able to spend a few days "off the grid" camping on backcountry lakes away from power.

Does anyone have a gas kicker installed (2-6hp max) installed on your alaskan or sub-15 foot boat that you can recommend? It obviously has to physically fit along side the main motor in the motor cutout on the transom. Ideally it would also be able to troll down to kokanee speed and not be louder than a Who concert! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

2. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Media:
    shoot..... get a 15 hp motor and replace the sticker on the side with a 9.9 marking.

There, I flunked ethics testing today.

3. DennisE

DennisE Topwater and tying.

Ever consider rigging a swing down keel off the bow to help your Minn Kota handle cross winds? Single hinge point at the peak of the bow with some sort of fork rigged out the bow eyebolt as a lateral support.

4. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Media:
    One to consider is it's easier to pull a boat in the wind than push it. A bow mount electric will solve wind issues. My 8 hp kicker has wind issues on my Lund but the 70 lb bow mount electric cuts right thru the wind and stays on track.

5. PT

PT Physhicist

I don't think you're going to find one that will fit right next to the main engine on back. You'll need to add a bracket or possibly just reinforce the transom where you're going to hang the kicker. All of the manufacturers make engines in your desired HP range. All are good. I used to push my 20' Bayliner with a 6hp Tohatsu 4 stroke and it worked just fine. When you get up to the 8 and 10hp engines you're talking about substantially more weight.

6. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Home Page:
    I have a 12' boat and use a 55# transom mount electric on the bow. I had to make up the mount but it works great. 30# is way, way underpowered for your boat. A simple hand controlled 55# 12V motor should work fine. With that big V-hull you should definitely mount your motor on the bow, not the stern.

7. Peyton00

Peyton00 Active Member

Media:
    My buddy ordered the stickers from Mercury and covered his 15 with an 8.

8. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    I have a 4 hp 4 stroke Yamaha on my transom alongside the 40/30 jet drive on my 16' Lund. It's snug, but it fits. I have the kicker on a transom riser so the the prop hangs just below the bottom of the boat. Wind is an issue and more so for small boats. As posted above, a bow mounted trolling motor is the most effective way to stay on track in the wind. However, I do like the idea of a swing-down bow keel (rudder), but have never seen one.

Sg

9. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Media:
    PT's right-there's not enough room to mount both. I too have a Smokercraft Alaskan 15. Love the boat, but your solution is to bow-mount the trolling motor. And DO go for the autopilot. I wish I had when I got my MinnKota. I'm always making minor corrections to the foot controls because they're really too sensitive to be worked with feet.

10. GerryH

GerryH New Member

Earlier this year, I started looking for a kicker motor as a backup for my main engine. I have a 15 ft Klamath and am restricted with space on my transom due to triangular cosmetic/reinforcement? plates on the corners (see attached). I contacted a number of people on this website and got a lot of great feedback. After much deliberation, I ended up going with a Honda 5hp kicker and am very happy with it. It "just" fits on the transom alongside my main (20hp). The 5hp does not interfere with the steering of the main engine. It worked out great and I feel much better having a backup motor to get back to the ramp should my main engine fail. I was concerned about the added weight of the 5hp (60lbs) on the transom and the performance of the boat, but it works great. When considering mounting the kicker, factor in the positioning of the kicker relative to the main engine so that the kicker is tilted to the side on which the rest plates are attached so that the oil will not to leak when you go to use it. good luck.

Attached Files: