"GAS OUT" TUESDAY MAY 15

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by jhaquett, May 12, 2007.

1. Flyborg

Flyborg Active Member

http://www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/nogas.asp

The only solution is to use less gas in the long term. A day won't do a thing.

Boycotting a single company will only cause retail prices to rise, as it will increase demand to the other companies, and those companies will have to buy fuel from Exxon to respond (a common practice in the gas biz.) Again, the only solution is to use less gas in the long term.

2. gt

gt Active Member

no worries, davy. it took your post as a point of information.

3. 1morecast

1morecast Active Member

Will a gas -out make a differance to the oil companies, whose profits have risen 40% ( Marathon Oil} up to 75% { Exxon } LAST QUARTER,I doubt it. Remember this has taken place during a so called "shortage". Hell, we are in another drought year here in Montana. I sure hope my local water company doesn't raise their prices on water, "to meet supply and demand". All I can hope for is that this action will get this administration to listen, to us THE PEOPLE.:beathead:

4. King Wind Knot

King Wind Knot Rebel, Truth Seeker

I'm going to go along with it, but I've had the same questions as to why it would work if it does, but I like to see people acting collectively so that it can be noted by the oil companies. I can't see any harm in adding my voice to that of others to say a collective "this sucks." The current price of gasoline does go to show the need for a solution to the world's fossil fuel dependence and encourage us to consider the gasoline we use. When gas is more expensive, I tend to plan my errands a little better and try to not be so heavy on the gas pedal. I am vowing to myself to keep this up even if gas prices reduce. I say go along with the "gas out," but more why don't we all take stock of our impact individually and try to make just one small adjustment to reduce our gas usage, or everybody just air up their tires to appropriate level to increase efficiency. That would be worthwhile.

5. Jay Thacker

Jay Thacker Here fishy, fishy, fishy

I will be sure to eat a few more beans tonight. So I can "GAS OUT" tomarrow.:D

6. Bill Dodd

Bill Dodd Bill's in a time out.

iagree iagree iagree iagree
    Gas prices won't slow down my fishing. I have already drove over 4200 miles in 2007 fishing and thats just the start, Maybe a few less dinners out and such, But cut back on fishing THATS NOT GOING TO BE HAPPENING..!!!!

Bill

7. tythetier

tythetier Fish Slayer

NOW FROM WHAT I GOT, THE HIGH PRICES ARE BECAUSE OF THE ENTIRE SUPPLY AND DEMAND THING (THATS WHAT THEY SAY). SO WHY ISNT CRAP GOING DOWN LIKE IT DID BACK IN THE 70'S WITH THE WHOLE GAS SHORTAGE THING?? YOU COULD ONLY BUY GAS MONDAY AND FRIDAY IF YOUR LAST NUMBER ON YOUR LICENSE PLATE WAS EVEN. YADA YADA YADA, SO ON AND SO FORTH.

I AM YOUNG, WHEN I FIRST STARTED DRIVING I SAID I WOULD STOP WHEN IT HIT $1.75.

WHAT THE HELL DO I KNOW??

TY

8. gt

gt Active Member

Supply and Demand, the formula:

- Demand, remains relatively constant but spikes during predictable seasonal periods.

- Cut the supply while demand remains constant over time.

presto, obscene profits. the gas and oil industry has this game down cold.

9. Cactus

Cactus Dana Miller

If not in April and May, when exactly should the refineries shut down for maintenance? January?

Well, if the oil companies are manipulating prices, they aren't very good at it! What happened in 1999 when oil was selling for $12/barrel and the oil companies were losing billions? Why didn't they just do a "little refinery maintenance"?

As a 10 year average, Chevron made a 12.1% profit while Starbucks made 23.6%!:eek: That does it, I'm not buying any coffee tomorrow! (Hey Davy, is that why you're skipping your latte?)

Sorry to disrupt your screwing by "corporate america" but it is nothing but supply and demand. The fact that Chevron made more money by refining less is to be expected; high demand combined with lower production equals higher prices. Maintenance is usually planned well in advance and with the increased production caused by the higher demand since 2004, I would expect that Chevron may have under-maintained their refineries in 2006 hoping for a drop off of demand somewhat in 2007 and to maximize profit in 2005 and 2006.

Most major news organizations and all governmental agencies have looked into any manipulation of the oil market and have found none. Even our own Maria Cantwell has looked into it and failed to find collusion. If you can't trust Maria, who can you trust!:confused:

10. Davy

Davy Active Member

just by chance , I won't be fueling tomorrow, the boat is full and the truck too, funny how that works out, but with a run down the Multnomah channel tomorrow the Wednesday fuel bill be bastardly for sure.

11. gt

gt Active Member

geez cactus, you just don't get it do'yah.

demand remains constant, all one has to do is cut the supply, price goes up and up. there is nothing illegal about this. but it is the direct result of deregulation and corporate mergers which have eliminated all competition.

FYI, nuclear plants are refueled on about a 14 month rotation. that refueling always occurs in either the spring or fall when demand for electricity is low.

what the gas and oil industry are doing is simply restricting the supply of refined products thereby driving the price up and up.

12. PT

PT Physhicist

The work trucks will be fueled tomorrow and my truck is pretty low also. Doesn't look like I'll be participating. $300 in diesel tomorrow will help some politicians back pocket at least a little bit. Just trying to do my part.....

13. JordanP

JordanP New Member

Pffft. My '01 diesel Jetta gets 50 mpg and with diesel here at just over $3 it cost me 6 cents a mile for fuel. About the same as most SUVs and pickmeups get at $1 a gallon. When I really want to stick it to THE MAN, I buy biodiesel, I don't think the oil companies are feeling much pain from all my efforts. Working from home 4 days a week also cuts down on my yearly mileage.

Freeing up my fuel allocation to drive as much as I want when I go fishing.

14. fshflthnkng

fshflthnkng New Member

If only it was that easy...
    It makes no difference as you must use the same quantity to get to work each week.
    If you fill up before or after that date they still get your money...
    The most practical I have heard would be to choose the 'greediest' Co. and everybody boycotts them month after month until the stock price eats it...

15. theworm

theworm New Member

I filled up with gas last night over at Costco about a 1/2 mile from my house because I was on empty not because of the stupid boycott. When I woke up this morning someone helped themselves to my tank. They got about 5 gallons or so. Desperate times call for desperate measures! I guess people will do anything to get out of buying gas on Tuesday!

16. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Dumped about 20 gallons in the F150 this morning.

17. Willie Bodger

Willie Bodger Still, nothing clever to say...

Rode my bike to work today. Lynnwood to Bellevue. It's really a very nice ride along the Sammamish River Trail. Next time I think I'll bring my 4 wt. Well, first I'll check the regs...

18. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Oh Hell. I fell off the wagon. I had to buy gas today. The last gas I got was at a el-cheap-o gas station. $3.28.9 a gallon and that gas sucked. I usually never buy gas there because it goes thru my engine like shit thru a goose.

So I got gased up in Dillon just like everybody else. $3.07.9. At one of the smaller companies. EXXON. In fact all the gas stations in Dillon were selling gas like no tomorrow.

Jim

19. Tim Garton

Tim Garton Member

Maybe you don't get it, gt, do'yah. Wake up and smell the petro. Oil is NOT A CONSTANT DEMAND. Oil companies are international and demand from India and China is increasing. There is where the price increase comes from. If you want to lower the price of energy find a VIABLE alternative, because they WILL pay for gas at it's current price when we don't. It is still the cheapest energy source. Until then all these silly Gas Out gestures will do nothing.

PS: where was your GAS IN rant when oil companies were losing money.?

20. Davy

Davy Active Member

:beathead: :beathead: :beathead:

dangit, I said I wan't going to do it, but I fueled the boat and the truck last night, $123.00 worth was all.

We took a long all day run down the Willamette to the Columbia and past so the tank was about dry. But hey, the Shad have arrived.