Gatti Fly Rod Blanks

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by poirierpro, Sep 14, 2007.

1. poirierpro Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Hello everyone! I want to know what you guys think about Gatti fly rod blanks/Factory Rods. Does anyone have a Gatti? Warranty issues? Whats the action like? Whats the favorite model?
  2. Sloan Craven Active Member

NoSho, ma
    Ratings: +30 / 0
    I've heard of them. They're supposed to heave a great warrenty. But Id try to find a UK board and ask some people with more experience with them.
  3. FT Active Member

Burlington, WA
    Ratings: +100 / 0
    They're made in Italy, have a very good reputation, aren't easy to find in the US simply because there are few dealers, all Gatti blanks and rods are as stiff or stiffer than the stiff US blanks and rods (i.e. as stiff as or stiffer than Sage TCR's) - this includes their 2-hand blanks, the have a very fast recovery, a medium soft to soft tip (depends on the series), and they are thin-wall, light weight blanks for they don't tolerate abuse (such as getting hit with a led-eye bugger) very well. They have a very good warrantee.

In short, if you like or are looking for light weight blanks (including the heavy line weight rods) that are stiff or very stiff and fast recovering, you'd like Gatti.
  4. Sloan Craven Active Member

NoSho, ma
    So, should one avoid these if building a heavy weight rod, winter steel etc.?
  5. FT Active Member

Burlington, WA
    Why would you avoid one of these blanks for a heavy line, winter steelhead rod?

Unless you are prone to hitting the rod with led-eyed buggers and such, or bouncing a rod off rocks and trees, it won't break from using it. I just want folks to understand that Gatti blanks and rods are stiff and very stiff, fast recovering, progressive, and thin walled (so they don't like abuse of being hit with heavy flies, etc.). They are very fine rods and blanks.
  6. Sloan Craven Active Member

NoSho, ma
    :confused: Cause I would be hitting the blank with big heavy winter flies. ...... Just asking your opinion. Im not knocking the blank, Gatti rods are quite famous, just asking as a guy that can be rough on his equipment.
  7. poirierpro Member

Spokane, WA
    So FT what blank would you recommend for a 9' 5wt? I like the action of a Z-Axis...what blank is comparable? Again I know NOTHING about Gatti blanks and I've visited their site and I cant get much info on the action because I have not casted one before. Thanks for the help.
  8. Gunnar New Member

Great Lakes
    The fella who is the US distributor is in Montana. If you go to the rodbuildingforum.com and search Gatti you'll find a wealth of info on them. You can also send a PM to Brian (Rovercat), and he'll be very helpful in your decision. The rods are very highly regarded by the folks who own them. They are high modulus, and fast action.
    http://www.gattiusa.com/

Good luck in our search!

Cheers :beer2:
    Gunnar
  9. FT Active Member

Burlington, WA
    I'm not sure which Gatti would be closest to the Sage Z-axis. I'd go with Gunnar's recommendations though and see what the Gatti website has to say and send a pm to the fellow he mentioned as well. All the Gatti's I've cast have been of the stiff, fast recovering, progressive variety. I really like them.
  10. Pete c New Member

danville, va.
    Just joined forum. I have a Gatti 9' 9 wt. I built for salt water. Have used it last 3 years fishing for FAT ALBERTS OUT OF BEAUFORT NC. Works great! Also caught Bailer Dolphin at the Big Rock. Took a salt water fly fishing class with Bob Clouser (Clouser Minnow) He tried it out and gave it a great review! Pete