Gear allegiance.

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Panhandle, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Media:
    Im a gear whore. There is no threshold that will satisfy my taste. But, my tastes vary. Unlike trucks, guns, running shoes, dog breed, etc.. I have no loyalty to one manufacturer. This, because, the flyfishing industry is saturated with so much diversity of good gear. How bout you guys? I do wish it was easier to go all American, but the Koreans are doing such a good job of manufacturing now, which equates to solid gear at cheap prices (TFO).

2. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    To much good stuff around to settle on one brand and deprive myself the hedonistic pleasure of buying more fly fishing shit than I'll ever possibly use. I'm trying to ease off the throttle, but it's not easy. Hard to believe at one time I had one trout rod and one steelhead rod, and they were both made of fiberglass. Ha!

Sg

3. flatheadmatt

flatheadmatt Member

I try to buy American made whenever possible. With stuff like TFO out there though the foreign route is hard to resist. As of late ive been buying some really cheap stuff (TFO professional rod, pflueger medallist reel, ect..) and have been really impressed with it. I just cant justify a 400 dollar reel anymore for the fishing I do........

4. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

Media:
    I like what ever is cheap/free

5. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    I've had/have gear from all over the board... From high end to low. I find that a day fishing is enjoyed every bit as well with high end gear as it is with the low end gear for me. And given that I'm not among the fortunate who can afford to collect loads of high end, American made gear... I'm happy with my lower end imports.

6. Dustin Bise

Media:
    All my steelhead hvae been landed on a setup that TOTALED about 80 dollars including the maxima. Big thanks to evan for helping make that happen!

I agree that gear doesnt make or break the fishing experience.

The things i WONT skimp on gear wise is leaders for trout. 4x floro and furled all the way baby!

7. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

no major allegiance other then to quality..

cheap is cheap...and nothing pisses me off more then something cheap breaking,leaking, falling apart, jamming, sticking, not performing like it's supposed to, or having to deal with some pain in the ass warranty through such companies...

I have a few old reels that might be made tighter now but don't give me the pleasure fishing something that has been around so long...
    I have a couple new reels i.e. saracione that is so well made and a jewel I don't mind it even though it's new..

I don't cheap on waders if I can help it.....I don't cheap on the little things like hooks or tippet, lines etc. because it's not worth saving a few pennies to lose what might be the fish of a lifetime...

I've had rods from cheap to expensive...They all cast, some a lot better then others...but I don't like looking down at cheap components or having fake cork come off on my fingers when I cast them all day..
    I like being able to talk to the guys that make them and finding out what lines they use or what I may or may not be doing wrong with them....I like that connection a lot...So while I could buy two or three cheaper rods that cast for what I pay for one of theirs...I don't feel any connection to the cheaper ones and it's nice finding a rod that you can grow into and keeps rewarding you for your abilties...

I guess at my age the most important thing is service...No matter what the price is, if I pay my money I want to know that someone on the other end gives a shit about me....Kind of the difference between buying from a good shop/builder or walmart...

8. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    That brings up some excellent points Dustin! I'm very picky about lines and leaders! I'm gaining quite a liking to Seaguar fluoro. Thinking I'll be using that 100% of the time now.

9. Loren Jensen

Loren Jensen Active Member

I'm digging Dustin's response. Evan is also helping me get into steelheading, and it's not cheap. To suffice, I am building a spey rod and buying used gear. Brands, they do not matter to me too much. If it works, it works. Durability comes with a higher price tag, so I make-do with all of my fishing gear.

Loren

10. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I am kinda a Sage snob. I ventured into what I call the boutique rod builders for a couple of 2 handers and both times I was disappointed. I do like some rods from Loomis and I have cast a couple of Winstons I like but when it comes down to spending my money, it will likely be a Sage. Haven’t had a bad Sage rod yet.

11. Dustin Bise

Media:
    I agree though I dont skimp on things like rain gear and waders. :) I would say I have an allegiance to Mt. Hardware because i have not once been let down by there products.

but when it has come to rods and reels somewhat, the cheap gear is actually good equipment. for cheap gear i like reddington.

12. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

Some guys buy gear to "do the job" which is fine of course. I have some of that stuff too. But collecting "interesting" but functional gear is also a bit of a hobby of mine. I've got rods in all three materials, ranging from a 6'0" glass 3wt to a Meiser spey and all kinds of wacky stuff in between. But I don't keep stuff that I don't like to use. It's not worth collecting for me unless it's functional.

13. Philster

Philster Active Member

Media:
    I'm sort of similar. For the most part I like the way Sage designs rods. But They lost me at the TCRs and newer generations of that ilk. I thought only a handful of my customers could really make the XP pop back in 2000! These new top of the line sage rods are amazing, but it's kind of like going to a gun range. All the guys running around with crazy tactical shotguns with every gizmo imagineable on them but my old bead sighted Mossburg special purpose seems to outshoot them... Or maybe it's me that's outshooting them? :rolleyes: Way to push the envelope, but I don't want to work that hard.

And Loomis? GLXs are WAY too expensive... I like the products, but dang.

14. stewart dee

stewart dee Guest

Fluorocarbon is the worst thing on the environment to produce. The out gas from the product is very very bad. Fish don't know what line is because they are not that smart. I stick with Maxima brown or green, Dingley and Lamson reels are bomb proof IMO. Meiz and ACR will always be a favorite stick over any other brand for me. I like Sage & Loomis and the warranty is spectacular, but the price does reflect that warranty. Besides components and overall attention to detail and build are important to me. Cant say that "cheap import" is the right calling for TFO, Reddington, St Croix etc.. I feel these companies use a different approach to selling. Sure its import? So is Kia and Toyota, that doesn't speculate "cheap". Jaguar is a Ford product, just like some other big names. The approach is to sell a few at big dollar and not a bunch for less. Mountains are made out of big rocks and little rocks. Some of the best rods I personally have enjoyed have been TFO and Echo. A Decho #7 line can bomb some line, with big flies. I think Fly Line matched right to the stick and a good reel are important to me. Ever had a cheap reel slip on start-up or grind and skip? or worse lock down on a hard running fish? A crappy line that overloads, or wont load the rod? Cracking and falling apart? I have. (I don't cheap on thingymabbobers or beads = yup I said it).

15. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    .......and my favorite steelhead rod is still an 8124. I have yet to fish anything better. I have a few newer Sage rods and I really like them but if I want to be sure I can make the cast and land the fish I pick up the old 8124. Shotgun? Plain Jane 870.

16. Loren Jensen

Loren Jensen Active Member

Can't agree more. Salt, mud, heat, cold, everything. Nothing an 870 can't handle.

17. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I was duck hunting along the Skagit in some marsh land above Burlingrton. I'd say almost directly across from Nookachamps. I stepped into a hidden beaver trail and went in up to my chest. When I came out of it I turned my 870 barrel down and drained however much water an 870 barrel can hold. My nephew who was hunting with me was laughing so hard he almost fell in himself. About that time a bunch of quackers flew over and I managed to bring down 2 with my water logged shotgun. Nephew quit laughing.

18. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    My gear allegiance runs toward whatever suits me. My newest fly rod cost me $60 at Cabela's. It's a 10 wt, and I took it to Mexico and caught snook and tarpon on it. Cheapest 4 piece 10 wt I could find, and I like it better than the $125 Fly Shop house brand 8 wt I bought a couple years ago to take to the Bahamas for bonefish. But I also have fly rods I paid about $1200 each for and didn't sweat a bead over the price. They're bamboo and made by a long time friend and acquaintance, and I consider them an art investment that I can and do fish with. I practically rave about the value of the discontinued Ross Colorado reels because I got them for about $60 and think they're better quality than my Hardy Lightweight series Princess and St. Aiden. However, I liked and fished trout for years using a Cortland Crown ($15 in 1974) and Berkley 556 ($20 in 1980) great reels that are still in service. Too bad they don't make something like that today for novices who want to take up fly fishing without spending an arm and a leg. And at the other extreme I just paid $450 for a hand made Spey reel of simple spring and pawl design, again, because it's like a piece of art. I can and do buy good fishing reels for much less. I think my gear allegiance is to value and quality. If the quality is good for the asking price, and the gear is well suited to my intended use, then I'll buy it if I like it. I don't have any Loomis fly rods; I just don't see the value being anywhere near the asking price. Same with Sage, although I have some of those that cost me much less than retail. And I try to be a somewhat sensible shopper. I buy closeouts on last year's model of waders at half price so that I'm good for two sets into the future, Dan Bailey, Patagonia, and now Redington, hell I don't care.

Sg

19. Porter

Porter Active Member

Closeouts are great way to go. I like to skip a generation of gear.....Big XP fan, but you know the Z-Axis is on it's last year? 2012?

20. Philster

Philster Active Member

Media:
    Other than the $1200 bamboo, we have very similar tastes. I've always been willing to spend money on reels, but not on rods. After I stopped working in shops I stopped getting the best rods. Unlike reels rods are superseded frequently. My Pate, Abels, Tibor, etc are still as good if not better than the best made today. And yeah, waders are best bought one or two seasons after they are discontinued!