Gear for silvers in the salt.

Discussion in 'Salmonfly.net' started by guest, Jan 7, 2004.

1. guest

guest Guest

Hi guys I'm totally new to this sport. Don't know if I want to fill a third tackle box and a third rod rack. I have fished for salmon in the salt for twenty years. The guys I see chasing silvers with fly rods sure look like their having fun! Could anyone give me some advice on the gear I would need to try this out. Decent rod and reel that will take the salt. Just a nice little combo, some line, and flies for under $400 bucks? Or will I need a second mortage? Thanks for looking! tight lines:thumb

2. Monk

Monk Redneck

Media:
    I just bought a new back-up 8wt. Sage DS on sale for like $115 online somewhere... (I can get you the url if you'd like). I use pfleuger medalist reels exclusively (you can find these for <$50). And buy some line and you are set... Well under $300 and you are fishing. I don't think you need to mortgage to have fun flyfishing. PM me if you would like the info on this gear. Good luck and Tight Lines!

3. Calico Keta

Calico Keta Member

I would go with a 8wt TFO or a Rainshadow and a Pflueger Trion Fly Reel($99) for the money. Get a quality line, I prefer RIO and the Sage performance lines. I have a 15' sinkiktip ( 6 IPS ) that works great from shore or boat when crusing along the coast.