gel spun vs. braid

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by [WR], Apr 24, 2011.

1. [WR]

[WR] Member

So, i'm slowly assembling a multi purpose 11 wt. set up, 2 rods, 1 reel, 3 spools.

while i have the mainlines selected, i'm looking hard for heavier gel spun backing. like in the 80 lb range, and coming up pretty much empty. my next choice would be a 'super braid" in the same weight class, which i can get pretty much anywheres and for about 1/3rd the price per foot.

pro and con input welcome as well as posible links to retailers i may have missed for the gel spun.

thankx in advance
    [WR]

2. Grayone

Grayone Fishin' to the end, Oc.P

Why 80? For the diameter? Why not 50 or 65? Are you talking super braid as in dacron or spectra/dyneema/gel spun?

3. [WR]

[WR] Member

Dacron is out. ok for fresh water but maybe not so much for salt. plus, can't find it in big enough line strengths.

I'm talking Dyneema/Spectra aka Gel Spun, vs something like Power Pro [brand is only an example]. Breaking strengths are similar but i think there is a diameter difference between what we know as common braided line and the "Gel Spun", with the common braid being slightly larger, giving Dyneema/ Spectra a slight distance edge on the spool.

this line combination is going to be the high end /hvyweight of the trio. I'll be using to go after fish that tend to be considered bigger game but smaller than Billfish though Tarpon wont be out of this set ups range. I just do not see 50lb being able to handle the torque loads .

so, after searching online and the threads here, and not finding much at all regarding the differences, i'm asking for help from mebership who may have been there done that.

4. cb3fish

cb3fish Banned or Parked

Sir,

Your post don't make much sence....If you going after "big game" then use a big game rod, Not an 11 wt., Fisherman have been using 30 dacron for Tarpon before either one of us was born. Why in the hell somebody needs 80 pound backing is way beyond me in less its just a filler on a large spool. Most fly lines break at 30 pounds, and most "big game" fisherman use 20 pound breakers in there leader system....again Why 80 pound backing? you have a rod made from some special material? Maybe a 100 pound leader? all this for something smaller then a Sailfish? Perhaps you need to in fact go catch these species, then come back and rethink what your asking for? Good luck on your endeavor.

PS... I have caught just about all the so called trophy fish that swim in the sea, I only recently went to 50 Power pro, and never yard on my fish till my fly line is back on the rod, I guess I am strange.

Carl Blackledge

5. [WR]

[WR] Member

Screw it. last time i ask for help in open forum..... came here to learn not get my ass jumped on every friggin time i post a comment or question.

you can have the site, all tucked up in your smug self made worlds, i'm outta here.

6. Grayone

Wr....Hope you did not think I was jumping your ass. Here is my input, the powerpro will work just fine. On my marlin rod (13wt) I use 50# cortland spectra or 65 lb powerpro, depending on what reel I grab. The powerpro is a smaller diameter, so i used a larger diameter to help fill the spool faster, hence 65#. Normally 50# on all other reels. When reefing on a fish, I can't break either. If you are trying to drag pargo out of the rocks with the panga, maybe heavier. I doubt an 11 wt rod would hold up to that.

This link might help you. http://www.sportfishingmag.com/techniques/tips/palomar-knot-break-analysis-53416.html

Also search the archives on this link ....it has other tests etc on superbraids

http://www.sportfishingmag.com/tech...nots-some-clear-winners-and-losers-43571.html

Chow!

Jeff Dodd likes this.
  7. gt

gt Active Member

i pulled 300 yards of 30# dacron off of one of my tarpon reels and replaced that with 500 yards of 50# tufline XP. you gain a bunch of backing for the same spool size thats for certain, but be careful if you hook up with a trophy. you need to remember to backoff the drag as all of that backing zings through the guides. the difference in 'direct feel' with the fish is impressive and i have replaced all of the dacron backing with tufline XP.

8. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

What exactly does that mean? I fish big game regularly and I've never felt the need for backing stronger than 50# even on my 16 weight when I'm going after billfish or several hundred pound sharks. If you've ever tried to intentionally break something off on a 30# leader, you'll know what I'm talking about. Besides, the advantage of gel-spun is that you get more backing capacity, not extra strength. Backing is there to keep you connected to the fish until the fly line is back on the reel, then you start putting heat on it.

9. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

I'm loading Tuf-Line XP on my big reels. It's 65 lb. though I know I won't need that and round which should keep it from digging into the line below. I had 30 lb. Dacron on my reel two years ago when I boated an 80 lb. Sailfish. I never worried about the backing. I was more worried about the 25 lb. leader section I put in to break on an extremely large fish.

10. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

Anyone know what the breaking strength is of the flyliine itself in these sizes? I just took a look at a 12 wt clouser line, and it isn't stated. I'd be surprised if it's 85 pounds though.
    How about abrasion? Is there a different wear factor using gel spun or stuff like Tuff Line? Seems like the wrong material could generate a heck of a grove in the guides.

11. cb3fish

cb3fish Banned or Parked

Hi Don,

I think that the Closer line breaks @ 60 pounds, Most of Rio's big game lines are in that neighborhood.

Carl

12. Jordan Simpson

Jordan Simpson Active Member

As far as I've read and heard, Gel Spun can possibly put a groove in the guides, or the guides inside ring (whatever that material is made from...). I've never had an issue with it, but then again, I've never caught anything too big. I used Gel Spun because I found it to be more abrasion resistant compared to dacron, and also noticed it can be a bit sharp on the fingers, so if you do hook up big, just let it run free and don't try to use your fingers or else you can end up with a nice cut like I did, which is no fun getting salt water in.
    My two cents.

Jordan

Jeff Dodd likes this.
  13. 4seall

4seall New Member

I use 30 or 50lb gel spun on my reels, but you guys are right in using the similar line ratings to the breaking strength of the fly line which in most cases is around 30 with a few exceptions.

14. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

The breaking strength is tensel strength not stretching strength. The stretch strength should be considerably higher, I would imagine and depend on the conditions of weight and temperature as well as age, abrasions, etc. It's all theoretical.

15. Grayone

Worried about breaking your backing? Look at what the rods broke at!!!!

Just sayin'

16. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Do we know any of the folks in that video? Fess up, I heard some familiar names.

17. Steve Birrer

Steve Birrer Member

As stated most flylines cores have a breaking strenght of 30#. The excpetions are the RIO leviathan lines. They have a core strenght of 70#. The reason for the high breaking strenght for backing and fly lines is not just about the breaking strenght but the strenght necessary to sustain a extended fight with a true big game fish (tuna and marlin). And most guys I know, unless they are fishing for an IGFA record, use much heavier leaders thatn 10kg. When fishing for BFT I usually use 40 or 50# flourocarbon leaders. So you darn well better be using at least 50# backing and preferrably 65# which is what I use.

18. fallsteel

fallsteel New Member

I realize this post in ancient but came across cb3fish (or is it cb3fishmaster?) jumping this poor guy [WR] for a perfectly legit, and probably unknowingly good question. If cb3PO has ever fished for GTs or fished on any remote flats with ridiculous coral heads, or the fl keys ocean side with coral heads, crab traps, etc, he would realize the need for 80-100 lb backing. You can back off the drag when you see your fly line in trouble, but it's not so easy to see when you have 200 yds of backing out. And if you see the trouble and back off the drag on a GT, your headed for a yard sale. [WR] - stick with 80 lb (power pro is fine) and send cb3PO a pic of a trophhy that wasn't landed in 500 ft of water!! Airflo has a GT line that's 50 lb.

19. pbunbury

pbunbury Tights Lines

Unless you're trying to catch a great white I don't see the need for anything over 50 lb gel spun. Just my 2 cents

20. Anil

Anil Active Member

January 2013 I took a group of 8 to Christmas Island. The group did a fair amount of GT fishing. We lost 9 fly lines.
    January 2014 most of my anglers returned with 80lb. backing and Rio Leviathan lines (70lb. core). We lost 3 fly lines.
    I’d be the first to admit that this is a highly specialized situation, but most Trevally live near reefs and even though beefy backing and fly lines may exceed the lifting power of any fly rod, they may also survive several trips over under and around coral heads. This still usually results in lost fish, but often lines are retrieved and damaged backing can be removed and lines reconnected.
    I would also submit that since capacity is so excessive on most big reels, the added diameter of 80lb. backing can be nice simply to fill a reel more quickly. As an example, I just filled a Hatch 12 plus with 450 yds. of 80lb. GSP. and a 500 grain line. This was the ‘large’ arbor version of this reel so the ‘mid’ arbor version would have fit even more. Had I filled the large arbor version with 50lb. GSP I would have been looking at somewhere close to 1,000 yds., which would have been excessive in an entirely different way.