Getting a new Kayak fishy

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Kcahill, Sep 19, 2013.

1. I wanted to head out for some saltwater fishing this morning but I ended up getting up late and while having my morning coffee saw some fish splashing around on the lake and decided to give it a shot. The water temperature had come down below 65 with the cooler nights (but not by much) and there were some small hatches going on. I saw a few large tan nymphs struggling and quickly getting eaten, everything from perch to the rainbows were getting in on the struggling bugs.

I didnt have anything tan but had some olive flies about the same size that worked fine, I picked up a couple of decent rainbows and some pretty nice LMB. If I would have had a tan fly (with a little bit of orange...) or an intermediate line I would of done better but it was still fun.

Fishing out of the kayak was interesting I can see I am going to need a hand paddle for positioning while fishing but fighting and netting fish were a lot easier than I thought. I did have one little bass slip out of my hand after i removed the hook and trying to get him out of the kayak was fairly entertaining.

All in all not a bad day and I imagine over the next week with temps in the 50's at night forecast still water fishing will be picking back up.

2. Nice! What kind of kayak is it? Since selling my boat I've been thinking of getting a kayak.