Getting new (to me) pontoon ready for the water...

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by willburrrr2003, Jan 31, 2011.

1. willburrrr2003

willburrrr2003 Member

I picked up my pontoon on Saturday, hoping to take it out on Sunday. I brought it home and put it all together, this is what I got...

View attachment 38484

View attachment 38485

I examined the frame and even though the paint was faded and oxidized it was solid, despite a bit of surface ruse on the frame sections when I took it all apart. I examined the seams on the toon skins carefully once inflated, and found the stitching on the bottom seams to be questionable, some stitching missing in a couple small spots and worn threading in others.... The bladders hold air fine, and didn't leak at all. At this point I decided to hold off on putting it on the water Sunday, and to get it up to snuff first... I picked up some paint for the frame, heavy duty stuff that also kills/prevents rust, and have painted 2 of the frame pieces at work today, the other pieces will get done tomorrow. I decided to get replacement skins from Creek Company (maker of toon) and rather than the standard replacement skins opted to upgrade to these instead...

View attachment 38486

I placed my order today for the skins, as well as a clip on rod holder too.
    This should be a sweet ride when I am done with it :D , and I can't wait to test it out soon!!

2. Stewart

Stewart Skunk Happens

I would suggest changing the covers in the cleanest place you can. Not that it happened to me, but I think a fairly small bit of grit trapped between the bladder and the cover "could" puncture the bladder.

Enjoy the toon. That really adds a great dimension to your fishing.

3. willburrrr2003

willburrrr2003 Member

Thanks for the advice, I will change them on a clean surface so as not to get any unwanted items inside the skins.

4. Chef

Chef New Member

Will: A lot of motification happens on the water so be prepared. I would take it to a small lake near you and try it out. Martha is a great place to make any changes before hitting a bigger lake plus it is close to us. Also, you will find that you will change stuff here and there as well.

5. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Well now that you up graded the pontoons and fixed all that was wrong you could of went out and got a new 'toon. Or waited until spring when all the old stuff goes on sale. Just saying........................

6. willburrrr2003

willburrrr2003 Member

True Oldman, it was supposed to be solid and usable and for $130 didn't seem bad deal to get into one, but once I found the rotting missing stitches on the bottom of the toons I didn't want to risk using them. So I bought the upgrade heavy duty pvc skins, instead of just getting the normal replacement skins. And since I had new skins coming, I decided to paint it as well. I am into the whole thing just under $300. Comparable toons with the heavy duty pvc skins run for about $400 plus tax. Even though I have spent more than I planned, I am still not looking to terrible in the investment end of things. Plus I have been enjoying the project ;)

7. Chef

Chef New Member

Old man, maybe you forgot what it was like to first get into fly fishing. Will is doing a great job. Have fun with it Will.

8. willburrrr2003

willburrrr2003 Member

I am Chef :D

9. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I'm not knocking him. I was just pointing out the facts. My first pontoon was a South fork. This was before they had the good pontoons. I sold it to a guy from the OP. My second was a Alpine made by Bucks Bags. It was used just for lakes. Paid about $450.00 for it from Teds In Lynnwood.. I also had a few float tubes which I also got rid of. I fish mostly skinny water now and I fish from the banks. Not to many lakes where I live now. Lots of big reservoirs that are too big for either one.

10. willburrrr2003

willburrrr2003 Member

No worries Oldman, I know what you are saying :) and pointing out... But I am still enjoying my project and anticipating using the finished toon soon :D here is a kind of ok pic of the painted pieces from last night...

View attachment 38512

11. longstick

longstick Member

Good call on the replacement skins. My dad went cheap one year and bought a boat like yours and I went with the more expensive 10 ft one like you ordered. We ran alot of large and small streams, one time down a small stream his nylon cover ripped open and the bladder came out. We were 10 miles from a truck and we were hosed. So I took 15 lb tippet and a barbless hook and stiched up the nylon. It took 4 hrs, but it worked. He sold the boat after buying new toons and upgraded. My boats is still rocken

12. willburrrr2003

willburrrr2003 Member

Exactly what I didn't want to chance happening ;)

13. willburrrr2003

willburrrr2003 Member

Painted up 3 more pieces on my frame yesterday, starting to look good :D
    I should get my new skins best case Friday worst case Mon or Mue.

View attachment 38553

14. Josh Smestad

Josh Smestad aka Mtnwkr

Looks good ;) Did you stick with 8' tubes or go up to 9-10'?

15. willburrrr2003

willburrrr2003 Member

I kept with the 8' toons, as just the outside skins were questionable not the bladders. The bladders in them still appear to be solid and hold air. When I get the PVC skins, I will just remove the bladders from the original skins and put them into the new skins.

16. Josh Smestad

Josh Smestad aka Mtnwkr

Good plan. My fish cat has 8' tubes, great size for kicking around the lake. After I finish modifying the frame i plan to find a pair of 10'tubes for floating rivers.

17. MrJohn

MrJohn Member

Wilbur, I like your paint job! Will definitely show up better than the original black.
    Have considered painting mine,(10ft fishcreek), but it had only been used two times before I stole it for 250. Got it last November and still haven't had the chance to try her.
    I am now going to do a double check on the covers. I think they are fine but going to check again anyway.

Only real thing I've done to mine is make a rod holder thingy as the one the guy gave me with it didn't fit the 1 1/4 frame and I didn't want to spend money for one that would fit it.

Don't laugh but here's what I came up with and am sure I'll do some refinement. I cut a slot in a piece of pvc big enough to snap over the frame and put a piece of metal that was laying around and hose clamped them to the frame, then hose clamped a 1" piece of pvc to that. The rod holder is for 1" tubing. I can move it to different locations pretty easy.

18. willburrrr2003

willburrrr2003 Member

Looks like it works just fine :D

19. Trout Master

Trout Master Active Member

Mr John, Have you set your fly rod in that yet? That rod holder is for spinning rod . Never mind I see the spinner in that back

20. willburrrr2003

willburrrr2003 Member

I bought my final can of paint, and wouldn't you know it was pouring rain when I got to work and is still raining....so no painting final pieces today. I figured I would have until beginning of the week before my new toon skins arrived, but the showed up about 10 minutes ago :D Unfortunately my old toons are at home so will have to wait until I get home tonight to get them set up. I'm pretty excited to get the boat all assembled even without the final painting...might even take it for a test drive on a local lake this weekend...not sure about fishing but definitely want to see how it feels on the water!

View attachment 38624