Getting set up for chums...

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Nick Clayton, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Nick Clayton Active Member

Ratings: +1,220 / 4
    I'm putting together an outfit for chums, and was wondering about lines. I'm gearing up to fish for them in the salt...Specifically chico creek and Hoodsport and the like. So far I'm going with a 9-10' 8 wt rod, with a matching reel. My question is about lines. Generally, when I'm setting up something for the salt I tend to stick with shooting head lines.... Big fan of the 40+ and the Outbound, both of which I use often in lighter weights. My first thought was that I'd just grab a 40+ 8 wt floater and fish that this season and see how it went, but I've been wondering if the shooting head is really necessary. From what I've read, it seems spare flies and long leaders is often the name of the game for these fish, so perhaps I need to focus on something with a bit better presentation/line control? I'm not against getting multiple lines, and I'm sure by the end of the season I'll have at least a few... But I'm just wondering what you guy's thoughts would be if I was going to start with just a single line.

SHould I just stick with what I know in one of the various integrated head systems? Or would I be better off in the presentation/line control department going with something like a Rio Grand, GPX, etc....
  2. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    Ratings: +567 / 0
    Nick,

You don't have to cast long distances at those locations. I wouldn't worry about it. Yea a shooting line is nice for the distance. If you need to save any money at the moment, I wouldn't worry about it and just use a standard WF. Floater for sure at the Creek. I was still catching chum before I got the 40+. I used a plain WF for years. There is an advantage to some extend as I never got tangles as easy as one can get with these skimmpy running lines they now produce. They piss me off on occasion.
  3. Tony Tony

Lynnwood Wa
    Ratings: +72 / 0
    I agree with Larry stick with a floating line I'm not sure if I'd go with a long leader either I mostly go with 6 to nine feet tops most of the fishing is in 3 to six feet of water and a shorter leader seems to keep the snagging at a minimum
    Tony
  4. Puget Sound Pimp Banned or Parked

Ratings: +9 / 0
    In the salt I would stick with a sinking, shooting line. The flies placement is a lot better with a sinking line and the shooting line makes it easier to cast if wind becomes a issue. When you start moving into creeks I would use a now floating, non shooting line with a well weighted fly. chum season is my favorite part of the year, I'll sit at estuaries and just wait to see a chum to swim by.
  5. Puget Sound Pimp Banned or Parked

I'll use a 4 foot leader in the rivers and 6-9 foot leader in the salt. These fish are so aggressive they don't really care about the fly line.
  6. Nick Clayton Active Member

Thanks for all the suggestions. Stopped by the local shop and walked out with a Redington Link 890 and an Outbound short floater. Going back tomorrow for a reel.
  7. SciGuy Active Member

B.I. and surrounding points
    Ratings: +67 / 0
    Dang , Nick. You don't mess around. That is a very nice set up. Pick up a Sage reel (I'd go with the 4200 series) and you will have a Far Bank trifecta!
  8. mtskibum16 Active Member

Puget Sound Beaches
    Ratings: +274 / 0
    I got the regular Outbound floater for my 6wt. I haven't used it much yet but I really like it. Now I need one for my 8wt. I just have an Airflo Coldwater WF floater that I plan to use for estuary chum this year.
  9. Nick Clayton Active Member

If everything goes well I'll be swinging by the shop tonight to pick up the waders they exchanged for me, as well as a reel for the 8 wt... and then could be on the beach by no later than 6 to throw it around. Pretty stoked.
  10. Puget Sound Pimp Banned or Parked

Go under the Narrow bridge to throw it around, there are so many coho under there willing to take the fly. Should start seeing fall chum in the Puget Sound around late October.
  11. Nick Clayton Active Member

Thanks for the suggestion, Pimp. Fortunately, living in Hansville I am surrounded by tons of great water that is not quite so far out of my way for an evening cast.
  12. Patrick Gould Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +688 / 1
    Let us know how it goes. The perspective of a experienced fly fisher going for a new species is pretty valuable.