Gifford Pinchot car camping intel

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by Brian White, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Brian White

Brian White Recovering Bugmeister

Further from MT than I'd like (B-vue, WA)
    I know there have been some threads on Gifford Pinchot car-camping in the past. I am interested in Iron Creek or other recommendations within Gifford Pinchot or Mt St Helens but specifically looking for opinions on "sunnier" campsites, nice bathrooms (wife and daughter coming) and areas that kids enjoy. Anyone have intel? In general we want to get East (E, NE, SE) of Seattle to poke around, but want to drive fewer than 3 hours.

My other thought was Eightmile campground on Icicle Creek. Fishing secondary to ensuring wife and kid have good experience and get some sun.

2. Brian White

sorry - i didn't mean eightmile specifically but rather Icicle creek in general. You can tell I don't know the area, but in short hoping for a sunny campsite but with some trees around. Hoping for nearby water. Needing nearby attractions (like leavenworth, or some good short hikes for 5 yr old, etc)

3. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Media:
    Go further up Icicle Road to Ida Creek Campground-intimate, with only 11 sites right on the creek. It's still to high to safely fish, but is beginning to come down some and may be fishable if you're coming up after 01 July. Icicle Gorge trail is open, too. If you continue up Icicle Road past Ida Creek CG on the newly rebuilt section of road (it's dirt, but easily passable by 2wd vehicles), there are two other campgrounds higher up. Chatter Creek, and Rock Island. You can drive across the bridge at Rock Island-can't miss it-and continue another mile and a half to the road's end, and you're in the Alpine lakes Wilderness. A good hike is up to the confluence of Icicle and French Creeks-take skeeter repellent, you'll need it! Lots of little seasonal streams along the hike to fill up the water bottles, plenty of old growth, and we frequently see wildlife along this trail, so look for tracks in soft dirt.

4. Brian White

Thanks Alex. Do any of the sites in that area take reservations? If I show midday on Friday am I probably out of luck, or do I have good chance of finding spot? I am in car camp mode (think huge tent and camp kitchen)