Gift Wrap Swap

Discussion in 'Fly Swaps' started by Trevor Thorp, Dec 7, 2009.

1. I have always enjoyed collecting all kinds of gift wrap and ribbon material during the holidays that could be used to tie flies. The idea is to create a fly or maybe two (see how many people are interested) that incorporates some kind of material, or multiple materials, obtained during the holidays. This is not a "create a holiday fly" thing. The flies should be legitimately fishable flies that imitate something, not made to look like an angel, tree, or snowman.

There will be a face to face meeting although not everyone is required to attend. Those who can not make it can send their flies.

I am thinking of maybe adding some kind of prize for the person that can make the most original, fishable fly incorporating the most holiday materials. The winning pattern could be decided by the people that attend the face to face meeting.

The deadline will be sometime at the beginning of Feb.

1. Daconil
    2. Steve Saville
    3. Banzai
    4. Chris Johnson
    5. Mumbles
    6. NomDeTrout
    7. Richard Torres

2. I'm in, dude.

3. I'll give it a shot too.

4. Not as much interest as I thought there would be. Mumbles? I thought for sure you would get in on this.

5. Way to call me out man. bawling: I've been pondering this. My hangup, actually, my one hangup of thousands, is that I'm not sure I've got any ribbon or wrap materials suitable. I do have some ornament material that I actually have used. If you want me in you've got me. I can tie up a real slutty fly with a nice water pushing profile that can be swung well if you are interested.

To make this officially a gift wrap item I'll even use some of it to adorn some fancy presents wrapped for good little children, then I can say for sure it is used on gifts.

Man, it took you a full week to call me out...I've read this thread at least ten times in that week.:thumb:

6. Had to call you out. I know you read everything and I like everything I have seen you tie. The material does not have to come specifically from a gift or wrap from this year. The idea is that it is made for gifting/wrapping and is not a traditional tying material that you then incorporate into a fly.

7. Well then, I see that I'm IN. I've got a few ideas that just might work.

8. Ed, I would love to see your gift wrapping with jungle cock eyes, animal hair, and maribou attached. They should be very interesting! The only problem will be to get the stuff back from the kids.

9. any room for a very much beginner to join in on this? I'd love to see what I can put together with my very limited skills.

10. There's always room for one more. Swaps are a gas and the bonus is that you meet some new friends and get some very nice flies.

11. If we only have 6 tiers, I think I'll do 2 different flies. Where are we going to meet? I'd like to do the face toface.

12. I might try to do two. Right now I've been hacking up a nice sparkly blue bow that one of my daughters will likely realize is missing.

13. Sounds like two flies per person. Ideas on where to meet?

14. When are the flies due? I have an idea for a couple of patterns but haven't seen any action on the thread until today. I'm glad the swap is still on.

15. Have been collecting bits here and there over the years and this swap would be perfect.

I know I'm a little behind on the gun, but If there is room available, I'd like to tie a couple for everyone.

16. Richard, your in.
    Steve, I had not really decided yet. Sometime at the beginning of February. I like the face to face thing, so I was waiting for feedback from everyone to decide what works for most people.

17. I was sitting in the ferry waiting area in Edmonds staring at Rory's yesterday on my way home from Mike Kinney's clinic on the Sky. Looks like they serve beer there, that is a plus. Seems like I could walk on a ferry and walk to the pub, that is a plus (for me, but you did ask). First or second week of Feb is good. Prefer it to be a Thurs or Fri night. Whatever works will work for me though. I know a few alternate locations MUCH closer to my house!

18. Edmonds on a Friday night works for me.
    I have a survey course Thursday evenings for the next 9 weeks so Friday or any other night would be my option.