Gig Harbor Report 8/24

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by martyg, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Left the boat launch in the early pink dawn in my little duck hunting boat with my Northern Rockies sales rep who is a sick fly fisherman. Tons of boats trolling hardware off of Gig!

Fished the shore in about 20 - 30 feet of water - starting at the big back eddie just North of the bridge and working our way back to Gig. Saw tons of baitfish. Saw a fair number of fish on sonar. Hooked one crab who was plenty pissed and bit my partner. Hooked two herring. Of course we practice catch and relesae and returned them to the water to fight another day.

Went home. Had a beer.

2. I also fished Gig Harbor yesterday. Targeting SRC on my favorite beach.
    I did a search on the site regarding tides to help determine which would be the best to fish, as I have always fished the incoming.
    The conclusion was that it really depends on the beach, and it can be just as good on either flow. So I fished the last 2 hours of the ebb, then the last 3 hours of the flood.
    I had great success on both counts. 4 fish to hand on the ebb ( 1 small king jack), and 3 fish to hand on the flood, one of which was a very stout 18" SRC hen.
    One of the residents of a house on the beach came down and updated me on that the kings were in on some of the area beaches, and already showing some color, also clued me in to a small stream that is loaded with SRC in November when the chums come in.
    He was holding a glass of wine, and was a bit buzzed, and had imparted several good spots in the area to fish, which I doubt he would have otherwise spilled the beans about ptyd
    There was a 44 pound king caught trolling in the area last week as well.
    Looked like gill nets in the Purdy spit yesterday as well.
    That's all folks :p !