GIS Assessment of Bull Trout Habitat on the Methow

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by CLO, Jun 6, 2012.

1. CLO, are you a fisheries guy with GIS experience or the other way around? I ask because you'd be better off looking for fishery jobs that utilize GIS.

2. GIS with fisheries experience. Trying to find a job with a good balance of both.

3. You will find something eventually. GIS is utilized a lot in fisheries and the environmental sector. Also since you have GIS experience you will be able to use those skills in many different industries. Where are you working now with your GIS experience if you don't mind me asking?

4. I think so too, I currently work for a company providing online maps and routing info like Mapqwest/Apple maps/Google maps. I'm kinda moving away from what I originally wanted to do which isn't a bad thing but if there was a job in fisheries I would prefer it.

5. Sounds like you working for Inrix...that sounds pretty cool. Traffic routing is pretty interesting. I know the swinomish tribe posted a GIS Analyst job a couple of weeks ago in La Conner. Sounds like it would be fisheries work as well. It is near you. Have you been looking at government? Also consulting has a lot of fisheries work. You may end up in the environmental field and work on a lot of different things, part of which would be fisheries and not necessarily be focused on fisheries.

6. Yeah I saw that job listing and I'm thinking about applying/getting some more info about it. I've looked into some forest service and wdfw jobs and they seem great.

7. Check out the following link. http://waurisa.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20 It is a list of job resource websites. The second forum post down discusses a jobs mailing list run by Nancy Hultquist of CWU. You should sign up for it. There are daily mailings of jobs that are both GIS and natural resources oriented, including fisheries. They are from all over the PNW. It would be a good list to be on.

Brett Angel likes this.