Giving up

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by mpirak, Jan 20, 2010.

1. I've been trying to learn spey casting for the past three years; taken lessons, have gone out with a guide, been out to the AATF Sunday clinics, on a good cast I can shoot 6 inches(seriously). Last time out I caught my waders and ripped a 3 inch gash.
    So I,m thinking of a switch rod with the thought that I can do a sloppy spey to reposition the line then go to an overhead cast to shoot the line. For those with experience, am I just pissin' in the wind with this line of thought and should I just stick with a single hand rod?

Mark

2. Learning on a smaller switch is harder, IMO. What kind of line set up have you been tryin to learn on? For instance if you have been trying to learn on a long belly line and its not panning out, move to a short head skagit. Once you get then down, move to longer belly lines.

3. My setup is a 13'6" Echo Classic and I'm using a 600 gr Rio skagit head with versitips.

4. I learned with a switch.( I was the only guy in spey school with a switch rod.) Much harder with the switch. Thing is, you are at a crossroads and need to decide what you want to do. Whatever you decide, have fun with it. Sounds like you fogot that part.

5. Stop trying to learn on tips. Practice with and intermediate or floater. You need to dial in your anchor placement and mechanics first. By avoiding extra "stick" with tips you can save yourself a lot of hassle. Once you get it down with a floater or intermediate tip, move to sink tips. Sink tips require better timing and set up. If anything is off, you will want to throw in the towel out of frustration. How come these classes haven't tried to teach you on short to mid belly floaters?

6. I learned on a skagit with tips. I seems that even on a bad cast the weight of the whole deal will still get it out... Id say keep going to free clinics and really see if someone can pinpoint your problem. Also, when i picked up a switch rod after a spey rod it was definatly trickier.

7. I have been fishing that rod for 4 years and use a 510 airflow compact skagit with tips from 135 to 168 grains. Granted I like my rods loaded a little on the light side but most guys I fish with prefer the 540 grain head. You might be a bit on the heavy side at 600 grains. The other thing that comes into question about your set up is the fact that poly leaders on a 600 grain head doesn't give you the best anchor for a beginning caster because they are quite light in relationship to you head weight. Sink tips that have a high sink rate can make learning to cast difficult as well. I would purchase a type 3 Rio sink tip in a 9wt and when the opportunity comes to try different heads take it. Try both Rio and airflow heads there will be one that you find more noticeably compliments your casting stroke. The longer I have been spet casting the more compact my casting stroke has become and my line choices have changed as well. Everyone will have a different opinion about how to load a rod but its all individual taste and even though you are a beginner you with the help of a more experienced caster can find something that fits you

8. Hi Mark,

I'll answer your question - IF you want to use your switch that way then yes, you can effectively use a spey cast to position the line in front of you for an easy pickup for your overhead cast with your switch rod.

IF you still want to learn to speycast, there's something wrong if you've been at it 3 years and can't shoot line with a Skagit setup. Who have you gone to for lessons? Have you attended the free clinics on the Skykomish or Snoqualmie?

Aaron and Mike are exceptional instructors - if you can overhand cast a flyrod effectively they can teach you to speycast.

With minimal eye-hand coordination, proper instruction, a decent spey rod, and a 50' (or less) head line that balances the rod you should be well on your way to being a competent speycaster. Something is missing from this equation . . .

Good Luck!

Brian

9. I tried this kind of fishing about 5 years ago. I also gave it up and just fished with and 9'6" 8wt. I found out that I could cast as far with the 8wt as I could with a Spey Rod. I also did the thing with Aaron of River Run anglers on Saturdays For over two years. I think that some people can do this and some of us can't. I happen to be one of those that can't. But it's a good thing that I gave it up as living in Montana and fishing the streams and rivers that I do. I don't need a Spey rod anymore.

Jim

10. EXACTLY!

I've taught a lot of folks how to cast with a 2-hander and only ONE of the bunch (and I don't think your number two) just "didn't get it." The 'basics' are darned simple, and exactly the same as what makes a 'one hander' work (180 degree change of direction). Just the 'how' is a bit different, the end result is the same. That said, what may really be 'wrong' is you've got the 'wrong rod/line' for where you're at/casting style (sorry about that, but it's too true). When I have a 'newbie' I always bring along at least 6 rods, different length (12.6 to 14 foot) with different lines/line weights/configs so I can match up the 'what works' not what I think should work. Trust me on this one.

Hit the SpeyPages web board and see if there are any other casters (suspect quite a few) in your immediate area and set up a meet with 'THEIR RODS' and see how it goes.

fae

Edit: OM, you are such a grouch.
    :>)

11. Well another thing that stopped me was the cost. Being that I'm retired and on a fixed income I just couldn't justify the cost of things.

And I enjoy being a GROUCH

12. Hey- Its not for everyone!

13. Mark,

You don't tell us how well you fly cast a single hand rod. Are you proficient? Are you a klutz? That is an important factor in figuring this out. I'm a good single hand caster, but just floundered when it came to teaching myself to Spey cast. Finally took a few lessons and that made all the difference. And even then it's taken a lot of practice, compared to single hand casting. I second the suggestion to use a short head floating line for learning and practicing with. Or at least a floating tip for your Skagit head. Try to break it down so you can work on one thing at a time. Go back to the on-river sessions and have your technique critiqued and work on each aspect of your stroke that is defective, from the beginning.

Then again, there are a few people who just don't get fly casting. But we haven't determined that you're one of them yet.

Sg

14. Can I have your reel...

15. When I first started spey casting 18years ago I had similar problems. Most of the time I was trying too hard and not letting the rod and line do most of the work. I was not patient enough to let the the D loop form completely and thus was not getting the rod fully loaded. This did not allow me to shoot line either. Once I had an instructor help me correct these flaws in my casting I was able to shoot line at will. I would recomend Mike Kinney or Charles St.Pierre for personal instruction. I would also
    echo the statement that if you can cast a single handed rod you will be able to learn to cast a spey rod. If spey casting is something that you really want to do keep at it. Once things clic you will be glad you stuck it out.

16. I too agree, the line/rod combo isn't right. 600grn skagit and 15' versitips doesn't sound novice friendly at all. If you're truely at your wits end and have nothing to loose try this....Shorten the head 4' to about 520grns, either cut back your rio tip (type 3) to 12' or just use a 8' of t'14, 4-5' of leader and a size 4 fly (Hook cut off or not, your choice), get on the river with a friend, talk yourself through the steps of the cast and practice. Don't even worry about shooting line until you are consistently casting out nice short casts. Work one cast until you got it down, perhaps, assuming your a right handed caster, the Double Spey for river right, and the C spey for river left.

hang in there,

James.

17. Try casting off your other hand for a few months.

18. I gotta ask.....is this for real? How in the heck can you be doing something for three years and NOT get it?

I've seen some bad casters in my time but don't think I've ever seen anyone who put any amount of time in on a river not pick up enough to at least cast out to 80' ...

Just wondering...???

19. I'm still wondering if this was just an entertaining troll since he hasn't posted any followup information. :confused:

20. yea,this is for real, and no it's not a troll.
    I've been SH fly fishing for six years, I'm no Lefty Kreh, but I can get it done.
    Obviously I'm frustrated, otherwise I wouldn't be asking for others opinions. I'd love to pitch in the word series, but hey, I know it's not going to happen no matter how much I practice; and how more simple can it be than to throw a ball.
    My original question was that since I'm not getting anywhere in getting spey casting down, what are others thoughts about using a switch rod and making a spey like move to reposition the line, and go into a DH overhead.
    What do you think?

Mark