Glass rod length inquiry

Discussion in 'Bamboo, Fiberglass & Classic Reels' started by Eyejuggler, Jan 10, 2014.

1. Eyejuggler Beech Nut

Tacoma
    Ratings: +339 / 0
    I did a search but found little pertinent.
    I recently bought a light line reel ( lamson LP1) from a member and now I am pondering a 2 wt glass rod for it. Obviously I have looked at the Butterstick and their 2wt was six feet vs the usually longer rods.
    Is 6' a legit length for useful application?
    I did some thinking on it and since a glass rod will likely flex to the grip, that is full rod flex. A graphite rod of longer length or "faster" will rarely flex much at the grip unless its being stressed and the vigorously flexing part would be the tip and upper two thirds, which in reality may be roughly six feet itself.
    I have never used glass but understand it is defintely a different feel and material.
    Sorry if this is a pointless question...but I was curious.
    Thanks in advance!

I have a 3wt Redington CT 7.6 and a Galvan Brookie, I just was looking for a tad lighter setup.
  2. Mark Mercer Member

port orchard, wa
    Ratings: +502 / 0
    Hi Dave, you are on the right track, but you really don't need to go that light of line wt with glass, a good 3wt or 4wt glass will be more fun than a 2wt graphite... I'd go with a 6'6"or longer in a 3,4 or even 5wt, your line wt really dosen't make that
    much difference with glass and a 3 or 4 wt will be more versatile and still bend to the cork with smaller fish...

There are many others on here that are much more knowledgeable than I am on glass, so hopefully they'll chime in....
    For small streams you'll never go back to graphite..... Good luck !!!

Mark
  3. atomic dog Jive Turkey

Pasco
    Ratings: +317 / 0
    It's not glass, but my 2wt graphite rod started at 6'6" until I broke the tip off, now it's a few inches shorter. I have no problems dealing with it. I'm generally using it in bushy small streams or for bluegill fishing and have no problems with it. I also have a 6'6" Eagle Claw featherweight glass 4/5 that works quite well.

In my opinion, as long as you're not dealing with wind (at all with the 2wt) or long casts, sub 7' rods are fine.
    Eyejuggler likes this.
  4. Eyejuggler Beech Nut

Tacoma
    Thanks for the input Mark and Atomic!
    I figured I already had a 3wt but in graphite but since they handle so differently it wont be redundant. I am going to pop for a glass 3wt and see what happens. Having never used glass aside from my Fenwick Lunkerstik Baitcaster for Bass, it should be a fun experience. The learning never stops thankfully!
    I will post a pic when it comes together.
    Thanks again!
    Dave
  5. Brookie_Hunter aka Dave Hoover

Phinney Ridge, Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +118 / 0
    I have rods as short as 5ft but 6.5ft is about as short as I would recommend for regular use. I have a six footer that has worked very well in a couple difficult streams where I was mostly roll casting. But I can't say I particularly enjoy any of my three sub-six foot rods other than the rare condition where they are the only solution in fishing an unusual small stream situation.
    Lugan and Eyejuggler like this.
  6. John Wallace Active Member

Bellevue,Wa.
    Ratings: +61 / 1
    ' There are glass rods in 2wt that are 5'6 " all the way up to 8'. The actions are all different too. You just need to check about to what you like.
  7. Wayne Kohan fish-ician

TriCities, WA
    Ratings: +97 / 0
    I have the Lamiglas 6'6" 3 wt, use a 3 wt line, lots of fun. That rod is plenty long enough, especially on the smaller streams I use it on, keeps it out of the trees.

Wayne
  8. Eyejuggler Beech Nut

Tacoma
    Good info and thoughts. Got a link to the FGM and I am afraid that was a mistake as i have my sights set on some nice gear. I am going aim for around the 7 foot length and go from there. Must try some out, sadly my local shops typically do not have much in stock. Is there a Seattle shop that specializes or has a nice selection of glass?
  9. Brookie_Hunter aka Dave Hoover

Phinney Ridge, Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +118 / 0
    Fiberglass rods are a hard find but in the past I think I've seen some Scott rods at Avid Angler and recently I was in the Outdoor Emporium and they had a number Redington Buttersticks in stock.
    Eyejuggler likes this.
  10. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Ratings: +1,225 / 0
    What is you goal in going down to a 2wt setup?

For many folks (including myself once upon a time), fishing that light a line was a way to make catching smaller fish put a bigger bend in my normally stiffer graphite rods. If your rod closet is full of graphite, then a 2wt is certainly one way to achieve that goal.

But lighter lines have less mass and are therefore more likely to be mis-directed by wind. Plus their lighter weight means they don't load the rod as well as heavier lines, which could be an issue if you rely on the feel of your rod loading to time your casting stroke. The (generally) medium- to slow action fiberglass or even slower bamboo rods flex quite a bit more than even the slowest graphite, so the reduced mass of a 2wt line makes loading even more subtle.

Since this is your first venture into fiberglass, I'd suggest you stick with the more 'normal' trout line weights (4-6) until you develop a feel for how your new rod differs from the graphite you're used to. My 5 and 6wt bamboo rods flex considerably more than even the slowest 3wt graphite, making a 8-9" fish feel considerably larger. Plus, their heavier lines make them much less susceptible to wind, and thus more accurate and easier to roll cast.

K
  11. Eyejuggler Beech Nut

Tacoma
    Brookie_Hunter, cool ty I have only been to Avid once for the Holiday swap, when we drive up to the Dog Park at Magnuson Park again, I will drop in!

Kent, excellent points.
    I am new to Fly Fishing and as my skills improve I simply want to experience as many variations of the activity as possible. A 2 wt sounded like fun and since I have an extra 2/3 wt reel ( Lamson LP1) I thought I would go tiny and see what its all about. I have several 5wt setups so I didn't even think of going that way, but it is a wise move considering the difference in feel and action.
    If anything I have modified it to just a 3wt, there seems to be alot more choices in that weight. However, your points add another level of thought process. My goal or target fishery with it would probably be warmwater panfish, Bluegill, Crappie etc, but learning about small creeks would also be another valid option.
    Thank you heaps for your input, this will be a longer process than I thought, but a fun one for sure. I just need to try some out and get a clue as to what I am getting into. Definitely a very different world than my current saltwater beach fest :)

Thanks all for the solid input!
    Dave
    Kent Lufkin likes this.
  12. Lugan Joe Streamer

Beautiful View, WA
    Ratings: +763 / 2
    Great score on the LP1, for starters. I have a bunch of glass rods. My shortest is a Scott 6'0" that they rate as a 1wt. I use a 3wt line on it to load fast for super short casts. But that's a niche rod and I haven't even used it in 2-3 years. I agree with Dave, Kent and others here that you should start with about a 7' rod in about a 4wt line. Don't go lighter than a 3wt in glass for your first rod.

In fact, I'll make a couple specific suggestions for glass rods in about that configuration which will be medium-quick versus other glass rods. You won't likely enjoy a rod that's too slow if you're new to glass (it's an acquired taste):

-- Scoff F 703/3 (the black blank series discontinued a few years ago). I have one and think it's fast even with a 4wt line. I love it though.
    -- Diamondglass 704 is another great 4wt.
    -- Steffen 7'0" (+/- 6") 3/4wt: I have half a dozen of this guy's rods. They are my favorites and get the most use.

Buy one used, try it, and if you don't like it, you can resell it for about what you paid. It's pretty risk-free. Then it will become a habit and you'll soon be a gear whore like Kent and me.
  13. Eyejuggler Beech Nut

Tacoma
    Awesome Lugan, Thanks you for the specifics and I will do some searching and see what I can find. The more I learn the more I am intrigued but at the same time, more questions are being raised, so trying and testing will be key.
    Excellent thoughts again!
    Thank you!
    I will update when I make the move :)
  14. Lugan Joe Streamer

Beautiful View, WA
    Yep, you've pretty much just got to buy & try some rods. One thing about glass rods is that the spectrum of actions and feel is wider than the spectrum for graphite.

Anyway, I doubt you'd be disappointed in any of the 3 I suggested. You just need to watch Ebay and the Fiberglass Flyrodders classifieds all winter. Be patient. Those rods are common enough that you will get one by the time small stream season starts early July-ish.
    Mark Mercer likes this.
  15. Richard Olmstead BigDog

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +786 / 0
    I was pondering a glass rod a couple years ago, but being unsure about moving away from graphite for small stream fishing, I didn't want to spend a bunch. After talking with Lugan, I decided to buy a 6'6" 4wt from the glass rods that Cabelas had just begun selling. It has been a ton of fun and I don't feel like I need to go to anything lighter or shorter. Cabelas has redesigned this series and some reviews aren't as favorable as the ones for their first release, but I see that they are on sail on line right now for 50% off ($75). You could easily pick up one and see if you like it for that price.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-CGT-Fiberglass-Fly-Rods/1409646.uts#productChart

Dick
    Mark Mercer likes this.
  16. Lugan Joe Streamer

Beautiful View, WA
    Even at $75, the CGT (brown blank) is a rod I hesitate to recommend because it might sour you on all glass rods. Reviews mostly say that the only way to salvage usage of one is to upline two line weights. The CGR from the previous year (green blank) are good though and can also be found on Ebay or FFR classifieds with patience.
    Mark Mercer likes this.
  17. Mark Mercer Member

port orchard, wa
    Ratings: +502 / 0
    Well Dave, are you confused yet ??? I have three of the Cabelas CGR's two 7' 4/5wt and one 6'6" 4wt, the 4wt is the most fun
    but the 4/5wt is more versatile. I'm telling you this in case you want to meet up somewhere and you can try them, they do
    show up on ebay once in awhile but not often and still go for around $100, but still a great rod for that price !!!

Lugan and Kent give sound advise and and good recommendations, I bought one of the newer Cabelas CGT's and it was worthless, felt like a bad, heavy graphite rod, I cast it once and sent it back, not what you want in a glass rod, or any rod for that matter, IMO !!!

Shoot me a pm if you want to try one, just too see what glass cast like, it's not a 3wt but once you cast it you'll see you really don't need to go too light with glass...

Mark
    Kent Lufkin and Eyejuggler like this.
  18. Eyejuggler Beech Nut

Tacoma
    I am Mark ;) Really did not expect this much info and now I am a little bit afraid :)
    Thanks for the offer to try one, I totally would as I really feel I need to see what they are all about. I am just reading up now and gleaning what I can. I will drop you a hollar about connecting some time to see. I might have to make a trip up to SW in P.O. if that would be a reasonable thing. Probably not for a week or so but I will drop you a message and see when might be good. I can provide a coffee donation for the time :)
  19. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Ratings: +1,225 / 0
    At the risk of complicating your choices a bit more, a dozen or so of us met last summer to lawn cast 3 or 4 dozen or more fiberglass rods at a Seattle park.

While there were many standouts including a number of modern glass rods, a couple of the favorites were old brown Fenwicks, both FF706s (7' for 6wt) from the 1970s. Despite being 6wts, both had a near-perfect balance between sensitivity and power. Even with their medium-slow action, short length, and my own flawed casting stroke, I was easily able to pound out 70 foot casts. Their deep-flexing blanks promised that even small fish would feel like trophies.

But the best thing was that Fenwick made them practically by the truckload so they're regularly available on eBay for $100-$150 depending on condition and whether they have the original tube and sock. There are a lot more expensive ways to get started in fiberglass.

K
    Gary Knowels and Eyejuggler like this.
  20. Eyejuggler Beech Nut

Tacoma
    Hmm, Hmmm
    Nice Kent, that sounds like another curious option. Quite a few atm on eBay, lol thanks for the twist, it might prove to be a nice tester solution. Not a huge fan of eBay, but its good to know whats out there. I might even put a WTB here and fish around for one.
    Thank you sir!