Glass rod length inquiry

Discussion in 'Bamboo, Fiberglass & Classic Reels' started by Eyejuggler, Jan 10, 2014.

1. Randall Clark

Randall Clark Active Member

Media:
    not a ton to add here, but to reiterate that a 4 or 5wt in glass is a great place to start. They'll give you the full-on bendo with small fish plus you'll be able to do much more with it (not to mention it'll have the backbone to deal with larger fish as well). If you want to throw small streamers, they work great. If you want to throw tiny little size 26 dries, they work great for that as well. There are a lot of options out there depending on your budget. Don't even be afraid to think about one of the Eagle Claw Featherlights in a 5wt. Despite costing a tiny bit of pocket change, they are very underrated and quite pleasant to cast.

All that said, when I went in, I WENT IN. Started with an older Hardy JET about 9 years ago and then went straight to a Steffen a few months after that, that is still my primary trout/do everything rod.

Cheers,
    Randy

2. tonemike

tonemike fish'n glass

Lugan's suggestions were very good. the 7' 4wt glass rod is about perfect for our streams. i have a 1wt Scott rod (F601-3) that likes a 2 or 3wt line and it's very cool, but a little breeze makes me wish i had one of my 4wt rods! and the 4wt glass rods still feel very light in the hand. one of my 7 to 8' 4wts seem to get the most use here in western washington. i sold my 7' 4wt diamond glass a while back and have regretted it sorely! they do come up for sale every so often, but i would definitely hold out for the original black one. btw, i have several LP reels and i really like them. anyway, good luck in your search. i will only add that if you find a Scott rod, i would recommend the original F series over the newer F2 models. just my 2 cents.

Eyejuggler likes this.
  3. Eyejuggler

Eyejuggler Beech Nut

Media:
    Home Page:
    Continued thanks guys for the thoughts. All getting absorbed, I just need to get some time to try some out!

4. tonemike

tonemike fish'n glass

if you're ever near monroe on a saturday afternoon, i could meet you at a park and bring several for you to try out. just so you can cast 'em and see what you like. i enjoy stringing up rods and casting. let me know.

5. Eyejuggler

Eyejuggler Beech Nut

Media:
    Home Page:

Thank you heaps for the offer! I don't get up to Monroe much these days, used to be up there all the time en route to climbing at Static point or Index. I will however file the info as I may make it happen sooner than later!
    Have some other FF gear "wants" as well so those may take first priority before glass. Very kind of you!

6. Gary Knowels

Gary Knowels Active Member

Media:
    Continue Reading ....

"if you're ever near monroe on a saturday afternoon, i could meet you at a park and bring several for you to try out. just so you can cast 'em and see what you like. i enjoy stringing up rods and casting. let me know."

I did this once and LOVED it! His rod arsenal was incredible. I agree that glass has such a wide range of actions that it can be crazy to figure out. I have an old 7'6" 6 wt Actionglas rod that is a lot of fun. I fish it on the sno forks and sky tribs and unlike a graphite 6 wt, it isn't too much rod at all. 10" fish are a blast and it had plenty of backbone when I got a hot 15" rainbow in heavy current. I like glass rods in the 7' to 7'6" range and a 4 weight would be a blast on small streams. If we fish a beach together again I'll bring my rod along and you can cast it.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G

Eyejuggler and tonemike like this.
  7. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

Eyejuggler likes this.
  8. Eyejuggler

Eyejuggler Beech Nut

Media:
    Home Page:
    Thanks Lugan!
    Mega good info, still attempting to digest :)

9. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

You should just buy a rod that seems like it meets your wants and needs USED, try it, and then you can sell it for the same price if you don't like it. It's low risk.

Eyejuggler likes this.