Glass rod repair

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by tythetier, Sep 10, 2005.

1. tythetier

tythetier Fish Slayer

Media:
    Is there somone here that is good with fibreglass? I have a old rod that my grandfather gave to me years ago. One time while using it I steped on a lose rock and wound up falling on my rod bawling: bawling: bawling:
    It still is connected together, I put it in a wood case my dad made me for it and have left it there since.

It is broken nearly all the way around just above the handle. I am looking to get it fixed just for sentimental reasons and maybe to fish again if the repair is good enough.

Is there somone in the Vancouver area that is good with this sort of thing?? I would be willing to pay to have it fixed.

Let me know. Thanks,

Ty

2. YAKIMA

YAKIMA AKA: Gregory Mine

Maybe give Anglers Workshop in Woodland a call. They should know, or if not, send you in the right direction.

Greg

3. tythetier

tythetier Fish Slayer

Media:
    Thanks,

I never thought about that. Do they work on other rods other than their own? I dont know what make this one is, it is a rootbeer brown color with an earwax gold color thread wraps. I will get a hold of them though, thanks

Ty

4. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
  5. wet line

wet line New Member

Ty,

The rod sounds very repairable and the break is close to the handle which is good as far as breaks go.
    Generally a properly tapered piece of rod blank is inserted into the rod that fits snuggly on both sides of the break and extends past the break a bit and glued in place. A nice decorative wrap is layed over the damaged area and the rod should be servicable once again.

Breaks much more than 9 to 12 inches above the handle on a fiberglass rod will repair ok but the rod will never cast like it should.

Dave