Gloomis Nrx Series Opinion.

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Thomas Williams, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

Ansbach, Germany
    Ratings: +410 / 17
    Anyone have any input or experience with the new NRX series fly rods, Im swaying between the NRX and the Streamdance GLX right now. I have heard rave reviews about the GLX but not much the other way. Im hoping someone can share thier experience with this rod...thanks everyone!
  2. Ryan Logsdon New Member

kirkland, wa
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    About the time the NRX came out I had just received my quarterly bonus and decided I would cast any rod I could get my hands on and then buy whichever one I liked best. At the time here were my top contenders:

Sage Z-Axis
    Orvis Helios
    G-Loomis NRX & Streamdance
    Winston BIIx

I cast them all and the Z-axis was #1 and the Winston #2, but they were all fine casting. I think once you get to that level it all comes down to personal casting style and preference. I would have been satisfied with any of them but was just slightly more drawn to the action of the Z and the suppleness/accuracy of the Winston.

So in the end my advice is go somewhere you can cast both and see which just "feels right". But at that price point I would also strongly suggest casting anything in the price range you can get your hands on. I started with a slight prejudice toward Orvis and ended up going with Sage which I had previously thought over-rated. It's amazing what casting all of them can do for your point of view.
  3. Anil Active Member

Tacoma, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +210 / 6

Excellent advice. In the event that you can’t make it to a fly shop that has the NRX…
    They are most similar to the ‘Max Line Speed’ GLX series of rods that they released a few years ago. They are stiffer and faster than a Z-axis (Sage), yet not nearly as stiff as a TCX (Sage) or BIIMX (Winston).
    As a series they are on the faster and more powerful side of the spectrum and they run true to this throughout the lineup (3-12). Some reviewers (like George Anderson) found the lighter weights to be too powerful. On the other hand, they are almost universally loved in the larger Saltwater sizes by these same people. (We had a pretty good laugh yesterday, when we got the April Orvis catalog. The cover shot clearly features an angler holding a Loomis NRX!)
    I tend to agree and disagree with the criticism of the smaller line sizes. If you are looking for a 4 weight to do delicate presentations of small dry flies I think you would be better off with something else. At the same time, remember that this ain’t Montana. How often do we throw size 22 Tricos around here? Anybody use their 4 weight for Chironomids or Buggers in lakes? How about fishing the Yakima in the wind or with an indicator? On Sunday, we fished Cutthroat in the Salt. I took my 3 weight NRX out and had a blast.
    In the end, the best way to choose a rod is to be honest with yourself about what you are using it for and then as the previous poster just said; go cast the ones you are most interested in.
  4. Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

Ansbach, Germany
    Ratings: +410 / 17
    Hey thanks for your advice guys I appreciate it. Im gonna go with the NRX. I was able to play with it a little in my local fly shop and enjoyed the way it felt.
  5. Ryan Logsdon New Member

kirkland, wa
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Awesome! I'm sure you will love it! They are nice rods.

I also think there is something to be said for what you "think" will cast best. I'm not at all convinced that my Z (or the One I got this season) cast significantly better than my old Orvis Trident, but I "think" they should and therefore I cast better. So if a particular rod jumps out at you for any reason and you "think" it should cast better it likely will. I'm of the opinion that good casting is 90% mental/muscle memory. If a particular stick is fun to own/satisfying to hold and look at it will give you confidence and be more satisfying to fish with.

Sorry for rambling, I get into gear discussions with my friends/relatives on almost every single fishing trip so I have given it a lot of thought :p
  6. Ringlee Doesn't care how you fish Moderator

Somewhere you don't know about, WA
    Ratings: +52 / 1
    The NRX series is sweet. I love how people dogged on them for being "ugly" in the old wrap scheme. It's a tool and not a fashion statement despite many anglers attempts to be coordinated and cool. The fish don't care about the rod color anyways.

You'll be very happy with the rod and the warranty is very good along with Sage. Winston rods on the other hand, kiss it good bye for a few months...