Gloomis Warranty? The end of a free rod era?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by JesseC, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Anil

Anil Active Member

Media:
    I hate to ruin perfectly good speculation and rumors with first-hand knowledge but
    we just completed two Loomis warranties:
    1. ‘Jon’ brought his 9’ 6 weight GLX Crosscurrent into the shop on 10/1/2012. With a broken tip.
    We immediately returned the rod via UPS and it was returned to us with a new tip section on 10/9/2012. Total cost to Jon = $20.

2. ‘Brett’ brought a 10’ 8 weight Pro 4X in on 10/3/2012 with a broken #2 section. Again, we promptly shipped it back to Loomis and they had it repaired and returned to us today (10/10/2012). The warranty fee was waived on this repair. Total cost to Brett = $0

You could call that “shitty” if you want.

2. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Fiction is always more entertaining than fact! Low fees, fast turn around and great fly rods...

3. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

Anil and Ed - Great to see that Loomis is honoring the warranty terms for rods purchased in the past (or even, right now, at least if the warranty verbiage on their website still is valid). Changes to those terms for rods sold in future is a separate issue though. It will be interesting to see what they do, and if that causes other rod companies to follow suit.

4. Josh Smestad

Josh Smestad aka Mtnwkr

It will be interesting to see if the value of used rods with the old warranty will skyrocket if warranty changes are made to new rods.

5. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    Not sure whether that'll be the case or not. Don't most manufacturer's only offer warranties to the original owner instead of subsequent folks who buy the rod used? Isn't that why used rods with the original warranty card seem to command a higher price? Some manufacturers also want a copy of the sales receipt with the filled out warranty card.

K

6. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Media:
    So that's their one wildcard repair right?

7. Anil

Anil Active Member

Media:
    No.
    I should have been clear: Standard warranty. Neither customer used their 'Wildcard'.

8. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Media:
    So I'm confused. Are these old rods with the good warranty? Or does Loomis offer a better warranty in practice than what's on the website?

9. Anil

Anil Active Member

Media:

What I tried to convey in my earlier posts is that the Loomis warranty covers “defects in workmanship” and materials. This allows them to be fairly generous in their assessment, but does not require them to honor a “warranty” to a customer who brags about slamming them in his car door. You might think it is silly, to under-promise and over-deliver, but the bulk of Loomis customers (as the bulk of the Loomis owners who posted on this thread cant attest) are quite happy with it. Their ‘standard warranty’ is currently one of the cheapest and fastest in the rod industry right now.
    In practice the ‘standard’ warranty covers ordinary stupid behavior, but falls short of covering complete idiocy. That’s what the wildcard is for…

Brian Thomas, miyawaki and Stonefish like this.
  10. Sterl Cogar

Sterl Cogar New Member

I broke my GL-2 and sent it back to Loomis and they said then no longer make them and do not fix them, but they would give me 50% off a new rod! That is not a lifetime guarantee. When Gary Loomis sold out to Shimano the customer service took a dive, I use Redington now.......... Since Loomis does not care about my hard earned American dollar! Most Chinese company's don't.............

11. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Don't break your rod... seems like a simple solution to me. :rolleyes:

later_Peter likes this.
  12. later_Peter

later_Peter Active Member

as has been said: "ain't no free lunch". I broke a Thomas & Thomas rod (I fell, it broke). They would fix it for a nominal fee (I was not the original owner & told them that)... with that "nominal" fee I bought a used Winston... Since I saved a few hundred dollars buying the T&T in the first place, I felt it was a good deal all around... (Free delivery is included in the price... a $500 (& up) fly rod probably pays for 2 of the same rods to begin with)

13. Ryan Higgins

Ryan Higgins Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Shimano is Japan and they take their fishing seriously. JDM market tackle is on a whole other level.

Simple solution is like GAT said, dont break your rod! It sucks they dont honor purchases made under the lifetime warranty era, I bet if you persisted they might.

14. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Media:
    Funny. Shimano clarus has an even better warranty than sage! It's over the counter. Simply bring it into a shop and exchange it for a new one.

15. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    I think St. Croix has a pretty fair policy. The warranties are on a sliding scale based on rod series, and have a nominal fee to cover the repair/exchange. I've only broken one rod of any type and that was 100% my fault. It was one of my own builds with a Cabela's PT series blank. Just salvaged the guides and built a new one. It is odd with Loomis having made a fortune on fishing that they wouldn't stand by a warranty under which the rod was purchased. If they change policy on new rods, that's OK, since it now becomes part of the purchasers decision.

16. typhoon

typhoon I fish

You guys realize that lifetime warranties aren't free, right?
    People that take care of their equipment are subsidizing door jammers.

flybill likes this.
  17. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

When I first started flyfishing, there was no such thing as an unconditional warranty for rods. If you broke a rod, you either paid to fix it or buy a new one.

I don't remember which high end rod company started the lifetime, no-matter-what warranty but you were paying for it at the beginning of the purchase.

This is how companies figure long warranties for just about any item, especially autos.

Like insurance companies, they use a matrix to calculate the odds of a claim and the average cost during the time a customer owns a product. They add this cost to the wholesale price of the product. So, as mentioned above, you or the retailer are paying for the extended warranty.

You'll see these abnormally long warranties advertised for autos and you think, wow! that's a great deal. As it turns out, adding a abnormally long warranty for an auto is one of the easiest marketing tools a car company can come up with. They simply jack up the wholesale price of each vehicle to the dealers to cover the cost of the extended warranty.

The "suggested retail price" the manufacturer indicates to the seller is just that. A suggestion. They may raise the wholesale price to the dealers to cover the cost of the warranty but they'll keep the suggested retail near the same as the competitors of similar vehicles. If the dealer sells the vehicle for the suggested retail price, it is the dealer that absorbs the price. However, the wholesale price of a vehicle is not necessarily what is indicated on the invoice for that vehicle. Companies have programs in place that give money back to the dealers for the sale of vehicles that is never shown on the invoice.

So in the long run, the invoice that shows what the dealer has paid for the vehicle is misleading. The dealer can sell you a vehicle for what their invoice indicates is their wholesale price of that vehicle and it isn't really what they paid for the vehicle due to the additional programs. However, all this is figured into the matrix, including the retail price for parts used in repairing the vehicle so eventually, the price of the warranty is passed onto the consumer.

Ever wonder why the price of some factory parts you purchase from a dealer to fix your vehicle is so high? You can trace it back to extended warranties for new vehicles.
    Ultimately, the consumer is paying for those very long warranties.

Now, a rod company is different. There is no doubt that they raised the wholesale price of the rod to the dealers to cover the extra long warranty. Most likely, they raised the suggested retail price for each rod just enough to cover the warranty price of the matrix.

When they raise the retail price of all their rods, it may not be that significant because the majority of the rods sold will never have a claim filed for the warranty.

It is, really, similar to insurance. The majority are paying for the claims of the few.

Companies would quickly go broke if they offered ridiculously long warranties without somehow raising the wholesale price to cover those long warranties.

18. scottmel

scottmel Member

Which is exactly why I've bought all but one of my rods used. It's hard to justify spending 2 or 3 times the amount for a rod just for the warranty.

later_Peter likes this.
  19. Ryan Higgins

Ryan Higgins Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Loomis really has taken a dip after being bought by Shimano. They do make the NRX which is one of the most sensitive blanks in the world, but they had early issue with poor builds on the gear models. Losing Gary really changed the company.

Gary is now rolling with his new companies, North Fork Composites and Edge Rods.
    http://www.edgerods.com/
    http://www.northforkcomposites.com/

20. psycho

psycho Active Member

Gees I must be REALLY in the minority, 75 years old, fished from the time I was 7 and never lost or broken a rod. I never buy new as I REALLY,REALLY hate paying for others clumsiness and lack of thought. I have told rod reps that they should have a two tiered price system, lower price with no warranty and higher price for the those awkward clumsy type that need a warranty.:D As for fishing in a boat with another angler, if he casts right , I cast left and vice-versa. I firmly believe that if there was no warranties there would be a lot less rod damage.:rolleyes: