Gloomis Warranty? The end of a free rod era?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by JesseC, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Anil Active Member

Tacoma, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +205 / 6
    I hate to ruin perfectly good speculation and rumors with first-hand knowledge but
    we just completed two Loomis warranties:
    1. ‘Jon’ brought his 9’ 6 weight GLX Crosscurrent into the shop on 10/1/2012. With a broken tip.
    We immediately returned the rod via UPS and it was returned to us with a new tip section on 10/9/2012. Total cost to Jon = $20.

2. ‘Brett’ brought a 10’ 8 weight Pro 4X in on 10/3/2012 with a broken #2 section. Again, we promptly shipped it back to Loomis and they had it repaired and returned to us today (10/10/2012). The warranty fee was waived on this repair. Total cost to Brett = $0

You could call that “shitty” if you want.
  2. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,359 / 9
    Fiction is always more entertaining than fact! Low fees, fast turn around and great fly rods...
  3. Lugan Joe Streamer

Beautiful View, WA
    Ratings: +766 / 2
    Anil and Ed - Great to see that Loomis is honoring the warranty terms for rods purchased in the past (or even, right now, at least if the warranty verbiage on their website still is valid). Changes to those terms for rods sold in future is a separate issue though. It will be interesting to see what they do, and if that causes other rod companies to follow suit.
  4. Josh Smestad aka Mtnwkr

Bremerton, Wa
    Ratings: +67 / 0
    It will be interesting to see if the value of used rods with the old warranty will skyrocket if warranty changes are made to new rods.
  5. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Ratings: +1,225 / 0
    Not sure whether that'll be the case or not. Don't most manufacturer's only offer warranties to the original owner instead of subsequent folks who buy the rod used? Isn't that why used rods with the original warranty card seem to command a higher price? Some manufacturers also want a copy of the sales receipt with the filled out warranty card.

K
  6. JesseC Active Member

seattle, wa
    Ratings: +728 / 0
    So that's their one wildcard repair right?
  7. Anil Active Member

Tacoma, WA, USA.
    No.
    I should have been clear: Standard warranty. Neither customer used their 'Wildcard'.
  8. JesseC Active Member

seattle, wa
    Ratings: +728 / 0
    So I'm confused. Are these old rods with the good warranty? Or does Loomis offer a better warranty in practice than what's on the website?
  9. Anil Active Member

Tacoma, WA, USA.

What I tried to convey in my earlier posts is that the Loomis warranty covers “defects in workmanship” and materials. This allows them to be fairly generous in their assessment, but does not require them to honor a “warranty” to a customer who brags about slamming them in his car door. You might think it is silly, to under-promise and over-deliver, but the bulk of Loomis customers (as the bulk of the Loomis owners who posted on this thread cant attest) are quite happy with it. Their ‘standard warranty’ is currently one of the cheapest and fastest in the rod industry right now.
    In practice the ‘standard’ warranty covers ordinary stupid behavior, but falls short of covering complete idiocy. That’s what the wildcard is for…
    miyawaki and Stonefish like this.