Glow chironomids?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by DennisE, Dec 16, 2013.

1. DennisE Topwater and tying.

Tacoma, Washington
    Ratings: +65 / 0
    I'm playing with materials and tied up a couple of chiros using a base of Glow Flashabou in yellow on one and pink on another with Stretch Magic (like v-rib only completely round) over the top. My eyeballs say the pink is pink but the yellow glows almost chartreuse.

Any thoughts? I'm asking here rather than the tying forum because I'm more interested in results than the "exercise". Just wanted to see if anyone has actually tried any glow in the dark materials in Stillwater and what your results might have been.

Thanks
  2. triploidjunkie Active Member

Grand Coulee, WA
    Ratings: +1,263 / 0
    I tie some chironomids with a glow in the dark bead on a glow in the dark gamakatsu hook. Covered in clear vrib with red copper ribbing. It works pretty good during certain situations, especially in winter.
  3. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +960 / 1
    There was a "gloronomid" in a chronie swap this year. You might look at the pictures in the swap sections and query the original tyer.
  4. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,262 / 1
    No so much glow, but I coat some of my chironomids with CS Coatings UV Blast. Under a UV light they pop pretty well. I guess that would be considered UV reflective?
    The Blast stays on pretty good but will wear off a bit over time. I also coat them with the UV Blast then cover them with a thin UV cure to make it permanent.
    SF
    Mark Kraniger likes this.
  5. DennisE Topwater and tying.

Tacoma, Washington
    Ratings: +65 / 0
    Threw the ones I tied under a black light and they really "popped". Also glowed quicker and longer than they had under a straight fluorescent. Guess I 'm going to have to break down and get a UV light to take with me fishing.
  6. troutpocket Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +326 / 0
    When I used to ice fish Wyoming lakes at night, glowing heads on micro-jigs was a hot ticket. We would use glo-paint on the heads that could be charged with a bright flashlight and tied the bodies with marabou or bunny. I don't do much night fishing now and haven't really put much effort into glowing chiromomids. Maybe a new frontier awaits? Glowing lines, glowing indicators and glowing bugs?
  7. Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

Ansbach, Germany
    Ratings: +387 / 16
    Bring a powerful flashlight to charge them up between casts. Glowing buggers stripped are even more deadly. You could pull some big browns outta pass lake that way.
  8. PezVela New Member

Ratings: +0 / 0
    Use the flash on your iPhone... I've used a glow body/tube (pink or chartreuse) on streamers for silver salmon... works sometimes when nothing else will.
  9. lando Member

Phoenix, AZ
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    Go buy a UV light. I use mine on my glow in the dark flies and its also works with the glow in the dark thingamabobbers. This $10 light works as well as some of the expensive fly tying ones that come with the uv resin:

www.walmart.com/ip/Rayovac-VBUV-B-Rayovac-Value-Bright-9-LED-UV-Flashlight/22086108
    Old406Kid likes this.
  10. Keith Hixson Active Member

College Place, Washington
    Ratings: +53 / 0
    I know a fellow that use glow in the dark condoms for his glow flies. Cuts them up into tiny strips and uses them as ribbing or body material. He claims they work great. Never tried it.
    Mark Kraniger likes this.
  11. IveofIone Active Member

Ratings: +1,064 / 0
    So Keith--if used condoms are used, can you be arrested for chumming?:D

Ive
    triploidjunkie and Keith Hixson like this.
  12. Old406Kid Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +84 / 0
    Ive, you may be right but it sure puts a new twist on recycling.
  13. triploidjunkie Active Member

Grand Coulee, WA
    Ratings: +1,263 / 0
    You can use recycled GID condoms for fly tying.... you just have to shake the f**k out of them;)
    bennysbuddy likes this.
  14. Keith Hixson Active Member

College Place, Washington
    Ratings: +53 / 0
    Sorry I brought up the subject. :D
  15. IveofIone Active Member

Ratings: +1,064 / 0
    no you're not:):)
    Keith Hixson likes this.
  16. Drifter Active Member

Ratings: +635 / 2
    Was not UV brought into the fishing industry for deep water fishing?

When you start getting, say 20' or deeper colors change from the amount of light that is at those depths. Many chinook fisherman on the Columbia are using UV sprays to enhance the visibility of lures fished 50 feet deep for up-river brights during the summer. I once read an article about the UV effects to colors at depth mentioning color changes like purple turning to pink and red turning very dark at depth.

Now you add glow in the dark in the picture and I thought of when I fish lakes at 35 to 50 feet over deep fish (which isn't very often but has worked before) with red chiro's and trying to use the lightest colored flies I have in the box so they don't change to a darker color or tint making them very hard to see from distance.

I would think wrapping the hook with a glow in the dark material and than wrapping a red V rid would make the under body pop and save it's bright red color at say 35 feet. A friend and I already tie chiro's with a very shinny chrome material hook wrap and red V rib over that to make the fly have depth and "POP" almost looking like the real see-through aspect of a lot of midge or nymph bodies.

You gave me just another good idea for some chiro's regardless of what someone else might think about it! visibility of patterns while say 20' and deeper can be very important if you ask me, and doesn't have to be night time.

I will also tie chiro's with a bright red under wrap and a clear V rib over it to give a real different fly with "depth" with the red shinning through the clear. different light angles and the fly does all kinds of different looks of color from white to a deep red. It is almost impossible to take pictures of these flies and show the depth they have, I've tried and failed!

I use the bright holograph tapes for this under body! Now I will have to use some glow-in-the-dark under bodies.

THANKS!
    Irafly likes this.
  17. Irafly Active Member

Everett, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +1,033 / 1
    I've used some white UV dub in some of my balance patterns for deeper presentations, but as of yet the jury is still out about their effectiveness.