Glue on items to pontoon boat.

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Mike (Doc) LaCombe, May 21, 2013.

1. Mike (Doc) LaCombe Member

Port Orchard, WA
    Ratings: +11 / 0
    I want to glue on some Velcro to my pontoon to aid in holding my fishing buddy depth sounder holder to the pontoon. Any recommendations for adhesive to use.

I am also open to other ideas attaching a fishing buddy to the pontoon boat.
  2. SHigSpeed Active Member

Rocklin, CA
    Ratings: +46 / 0
  3. Mike (Doc) LaCombe Member

Port Orchard, WA
    SHig. My holder has a strap that fasten around the tube. I was looking for a way to keep the strap from slipping.
  4. Coy New Member

Ratings: +3 / 0
    Mike
    VELCRO (hook and loop) makes a product with "pressure activated" glue that should stick to the tube cover. Ask for "075" adhesive. I bought it wholesale...not sure who caries it retail.
    Coy
  5. Mike (Doc) LaCombe Member

Port Orchard, WA
  6. SHigSpeed Active Member

Rocklin, CA
    Ah, gotcha. The peel and stick Velcro is pretty tenacious especially on slick material though vinyl can be tricky.

How about a swatch of that rubberized mesh shelf liner under the strap? That stuff is really grippy.

_SHig
  7. Billy McFly Active Member

Edmonds WA
    Ratings: +62 / 0
    I bought a box of Industrial Velcro at Lowes and its adhesive sticks to anything. The velcro's grip is almost too strong.
  8. Coy New Member

That 075 adhesive is suppose to hold in and around water.
  9. SHigSpeed Active Member

Rocklin, CA
    I'd love to learn more about the zero seven five. I couldn't find anything googling it other than a Loctite hot glue gun.

A link to info would be great!

_SHig
  10. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,324 / 9
    I use a lot of Velcro bits for holding things in place, the stick back stuff seems to work just fine for me. It won't last forever, but I've had it last longer than I expected.

Good to see Doc and SHig kicking around these parts! Welcome Coy, I too shall research the 075 adhesive.
  11. Mike (Doc) LaCombe Member

Port Orchard, WA
    Ok guys I got some heavy duty Velcro strips from Ace Hwd and stuck them on. I have been letting the glue dry overnight. I'll pass along the results after I see how it works.
  12. Coy New Member

Ed
    FYI...the adhesive # is "0175" from Velcro. Boating stores should have it or other brands that can be used around water.
  13. SHigSpeed Active Member

Rocklin, CA
    Aha! The "1" makes the difference.

Thanks for clarifying.

_SHig
  14. Norm Frechette Active Member

Norwich, CT
    Ratings: +72 / 0
    deflate the tubes and do a little hand stitching of the velcro to the nylon cover