Gluten-free Life

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by Gary Knowels, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Gary Knowels Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +321 / 0
    So a little over half a year ago I found out that I was gluten intolerant. This wasn't too big of a shock to me, my brother was diagnosed Celiac about 15 years ago and I had just found out that there were 3 more members in my family that had recently be diagnosed with a gluten allergy of some sort.

My issues were minor gastrointestinal distress, lack of energy, poor sleep habits, and, most glaring, systemic arthritis. ALL of my joints were hurting every day. The joint pain was the driving force to figure out what was going on, as a 25 year old guy should not be feeling this way. I stopped eating items that contain gluten and within 6 weeks I was feeling better than I had in the previous 3 years. Needless to say, this change is a permanent one.

In the 7 months since the switch I've tried and tasted many many GF products, some of the great, many decent, but the majority are terrible. This led to me avoiding anything bread-like because I didn't have any good options. For a couple of months this was ok, but eventually I got to where I had specific cravings for pizza, bagels, hamburgers, soft pretzels, anything doughy. For 2 months it was REALLY rough with wanting bread but not being bale to eat anything that tasted good. In time I have found some items that are wonderful and make my life a little more normal.

The biggest challenges are eating on the go, nearly impossible as wheat, barley, and/or rye is in 95% of processed food, eating in rural areas, vacations to less progressive social climates, and the increased cost of foods.

Essentially I want to post this to see if any other fly fishers are gluten-free and have recipes or tips to share and to share some of the things that I have found that I really like.
  2. DennisE Topwater and tying.

Tacoma, Washington
    Ratings: +61 / 0
    I don't have a gluten problem, but I have noticed that Great Harvest Bread has days when they produce a number of gluten free breads and pastries. They've got some really tasty products and I've sampled some of their gluten free offerings without being disappointed!
    They're a franchise operation, so I don't know about specifics up your way. The only one I've been to in Seattle is the one in Ballard. I copied in a link to their main website which has a store locater tool. good luck!

http://www.greatharvest.com/
  3. Patrick Gould Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +635 / 0
    Central Market in Shoreline has tons of gluten free products. I'm sure you already know about Whole Foods. There is also a great wheat free bakery in the U district.
  4. Gary Knowels Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Thanks Dennis. I used to love to get their bread before the switch. I didn't know they were making GF bread but I'll check them out.

Patrick, do you know where that place is or what it is called? I don't know any in U District but know one in Fremont and another in Greenwood. I'm not a big fan of either as they are vegan too and that makes bread much less tasty.

There is a local company called Maninis that makes really good flour mixes and sells bread and pasta at some farmers markets. At $9 a loaf I can't afford to buy very often.

Thankfully I'm lucky enough to have a fair bit of cooking and baking talent and often make my own baked goods. Maninis flour is about all I use anymore as it gets the closest to "normal" breads of all that I've tried.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2
  5. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,497 / 2
    Gluten free is actually a great way to go. I'm not intolerant, but I cut gluten from my diet, and had almost instantly improved health. Lost weight, increased energy, and my heartburn issue completely disappeared. Wheat is not something that's essential for our diets. You could even make the argument that its downsides outweigh the positives. Switching over isn't all that hard after some practice and education.
  6. Gary Knowels Active Member

Seattle, WA
    I'm happy about the change and I've had practice because of my brother's dietary requirements growing up. It's just frustrating at times, being a "foodie" and lover of microbrews, to not be able to enjoy a lot of the things that I previously enjoyed. As awareness increases, the products available to us do as well.

Maninis, Widmer Omission, Snyder's pretzels (only some are GF), Whole Foods, PCC, and Trader Joe's are all good so far
  7. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ah, right. I suppose I should have given the caveat of me still enjoying the craft brews. Though, I really only drink one or two per week these days as I get my weight in check.
  8. Gary Knowels Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Widmer Omission offers both a Pale Ale and a Lager that are REALLY good. Widmer's CEO has Celiac and has been working on these beers for a long time. They are made with barley (which makes them taste good) but have an enzymatic process to break down the gluten, This process has yet to be approved by the FDA as producing gluten-free products, but Widmer provides gluten level testing for all of their batches online. Expect to see other breweries using this process to improve the line of GF microbrews that are available to us in the near future.
  9. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    I brewed a GF beer using chestnuts a few years ago. Came out seriously tasty. But chestnuts are pretty much prohibitively expensive to brew with.
    Gary Knowels likes this.
  10. Gary Knowels Active Member

Seattle, WA
    That does sound good!

It should be noted that we live in an especially great location for the GF lifestyle. Seattle and Portland have climates that are incredibly conducive to this type of thing. Outside of the west coast and the northeast, it gets much much harder.
  11. porterHause Just call me Jon

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +143 / 0
  12. wichaka Active Member

White Salmon, Washington
    Ratings: +29 / 0
    My other half started going GF within the last few months, and I joined her. She used to have stomach problems after meals etc., but no longer. Although we haven't gone 100% GF, we are probably around 90% anyway. We both have lost weight, have more energy, don't get on the nods after lunch etc.

At the start we were really searching for GF foods, but its not that hard to find them. We also look at products that don't say GF, but the gluten part is so low, it doesn't give her any problems..and the effects are still the same as above.

The only problem we have is traveling. Trying to eat GF on the road is bit harder, but its not impossible.
  13. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    ribka likes this.
  14. mtskibum16 Active Member

Puget Sound Beaches
    Ratings: +191 / 0
    My wife and I don't have a gluten intolerance, but we have been looking in to some of the primal "diets" and we are starting to phase the wheat/gluten/carbs out of our diet. Mark Daily Apple is great. Thanks for the health bent link Evan.
  15. Matthew Kaphan Active Member

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +38 / 1
    I have a gluten intolerance problem and have been gluten free the last year. I'm in Olympia, and we have a dedicated gluten-free grocery store called GF Joes. They also have one in Tacoma.

Here's some of my recommendations for GF things:

Great Harvest makes some great GF breads
    Canyon Bakehouse makes a great hamburger bun
    Schar makes a good pasta substitute
    The quinoa pasta substitute is also a good one and is easy to find in most stores
    Udis makes an acceptable pizza crust if you're making it at home. Also, they're rolls are pasasble. Otherwise, in Olympia, La Gitana makes a kick ass GF pie
    The Omission beers are good. Greene's makes a good dark GF beer but they're way expensive

http://www.glutenfreely.com/ is a good site for ordering GF stuff. Also be aware that lots of things you would expect would be GF aren't. Oatmeal is usually cross contaminated so make sure you buy certified GF oatmeal. And most soy sauces and terriyaki sauces contain gluten, so most asian restaurants are out.

If you ever find yourself in an area that has an In-n-Out burger, you can order them protein style and they'll come without the bun. Everything in IN-n-Out other than the bun is GF.

Good luck. If you have any other questions as far as GF goes let me know. I've become a semi-expert on it.

M
  16. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    dude... spaghetti squash. seriously.
  17. Gary Knowels Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Matthew,

I love GF Joes, having been there many times as a kid and recently. in Mountlake Terrace there is a GF store called Mana Mills that is pretty good.

Where do you get the hamburger buns and are the fresh or frozen?

I don't like the quinoa pasta, but I really like the Trader Joe's corn pasta, especially at $1.39 for 1 lb bags.

I don't care for Udi's stuff, I find them all to be really dry. I just bake breads using Maninis mixes instead. I haven't found a store bought bread that I liked yet, even at the local bakeries. I'll give Great Harvest a try and see how they are.

I'm obsessed with Maninis, their multiuso flour is perfect. i substitute it 1 for 1 into many standard wheat flour recipes and thing come out perfectly. I used it to make a roux for thickening chowder and made perfect pie crust with it. PCC and Whole Foods in Seattle carry their fresh pastas and they are amazing.
  18. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Haus Alpenrosa, Lederhosenland
    Ratings: +781 / 0
    Elk: it's what's for dinner...
  19. Gary Knowels Active Member

Seattle, WA
    I wish I had some elk meat! By far my favorite red meat, well maybe not if pork is considered red meat. I grew up eating elk and I miss it.
  20. Matthew Kaphan Active Member

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +38 / 1
    Gary,

I get the buns at GF Joes and they're frozen. It looks like they're available from quite a few stores in the Seattle area. Check their website:

http://canyonbakehouse.com/

M