'Goin In'

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by shadowcast, Jul 8, 2013.

1. shadowcast

shadowcast Member

Just wondered if you'd care to share the times you've 'gone in' while wading. How did you fare/recover? Anything dramatic happen? Do you use a floatation emergency device now? I ask because I've had a couple close calls lately that have given me a greater respect for the power of water lol.

Any good stories?

2. bkerbs

bkerbs Member

My first time going in was in California. My uncle and I were fishing the Stanislaus river. I hadn't been fishing long, maybe a year or two and still had some learning to do. The crystal clear water showed 4, 18" to 22" trout lazily taking flies in the current. Strike one for me, I was to excited to think things through. Proceeding directly into the current I notice a small depression in the stream bottom, strike two. My first thought, I can make it, nope strike three. As soon as I took the first step, out go my feet and I went under. Wader filled up quick the current was much stronger than I anticipated and swept me down stream quickly. I looked like a floating yard sale since every pocket in my vest was unzipped. Tippet, indicators, fly boxes all floating with me down river. Some how I managed to save the fly boxes and 1 spool of tippet, held on to my rod the entire time,then grab a tree branch that swung me to shallow water. I stood up, wader completely full and took a holy shit that was close breath. So far so good since then.

BASS_TURDS likes this.
  3. Joe Goodfellow

Joe Goodfellow Active Member

Media:
    Did you get one of those fish?

BASS_TURDS likes this.
  4. Cole L

Cole L Fish Fiend

About a month ago, I was fishing in the snoqualmie below tokul and snapped my line. Saw my indicator floating back around in the current and decided to try to grab it. When I stepped out and grabbed it, the rocks under my feet rolled out and I was in the river about 15 ft off shore. Had to swim back in the current and somehow my waders didn't fill up with a lot of water and pull me down. Didn't lose anything, and even still got my indicator. Still pretty scary for my first time falling in the water

5. shadowcast

shadowcast Member

6. shadowcast

shadowcast Member

LMAO

7. P.Dieter

P.Dieter Just Another Bubba

Media:
    Home Page:
    More times then I can count over the decades. Waders make recovery more difficult but not that bad, just DON'T try and stand up in the shallower water, crawling until you can drain them is a good idea. Wearing a wading belt and keeping it tight is even a better idea.

In the summer I don't wear waders and wade much better and safer.

If you've never gone in over your waders doing it on purpose on a hot summer day might be a good idea, then you'll know what it's like.

One that sticks in my mind was my first trip to the Metolius, walked down to he bank saw that it was only about 3' and stepped off. It was over my head...man that river is clear and cold. ;)

8. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Media:
    I've had more close calls floating sketchy rivers, but the time that comes to mind was last winter. After hitting the ski hill all day, we wadered up and hit a river mouth known for its lake run browns. We only had about an hour of daylight left that time of year. While Enlightened concentrated on the first, and usually most productive hole, I explored far upriver, floundering through deep snowbanks, effortlessly seeking another holding lie. I found something that looked promising, waded out and perched on a boulder twice the size of a basketball. I proceeded to cast my streamer out into the run, but before I could get one good swing, the boulder began to roll. I kept with it for a few revolutions, but eventually was dumped. I was swept through the rapids, but didn't resist, just aimed for shore. I pulled myself out the exact time the sun dropped over the canyon wall, causing the temp to drop by at least fifteen degrees. By the time I made it to the hole Enlightened was still happily fishing away in I was walking like a zombie because my wading jacket and waders had frozen instantly solid the minute I left the water. The car thermometer read negative ten when we pulled out of the lot.

9. bkerbs

bkerbs Member

Nope, fell in and that was it! We moved down river.

10. Travis Bille

Travis Bille Active Member

Media:
    Had a couple close calls on the notorious Pit River, but I haven't gone fully in..... yet

11. Alosa

Alosa Active Member

Went down on the Feather River back in April. Waders have studs, but the flow was up and the rocks were slippery. Nothing serious happened as I was in a back eddy. I just cursed like a sailor when I recovered. I credit my wife's wise advice of always taking a change of clothes when I go fishing. I was able to change into dry clothes and tackle the river again. Nonetheless, I have contemplated a PFD for a while now...probably another wise move.

12. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Falling in goes with fishing skinny water. It's bound to happen sooner or later. Trying to get something out of reach, get feet tangled on the bottom, feet stuck under a sunken branch. To fast of a current.

I now only wade up to my calfs. If I have to get to faster water I find another way to get to it or I don't go at all. I like being alive and able to fish.

BASS_TURDS likes this.
  13. Preston

Preston Active Member

Cole,
    I would have thought that everyone would have been aware by now that this old piece of folklore is nonsense. Waders full of water will not "pull me down"; water, in water, has no weight, you'll float at the same level in filled waders as you will in dry ones. Water in your waders still has mass, and thus inertia, so your movements will be slower but it's not going to pull you to the bottom.

14. Matt Baerwalde

Matt Baerwalde ...

Media:
    The first I remember was on the North Mills in North Carolina. Small stream--I walk up to a trail crossing and see a couple nice fish finning in the tailout. I'm a noob and super excited and cast my dry-dropper rig out there without looking where my feet are. To my surprise, BOTH fish take the flies and I'm hooked up to at least 30" of trouts. I step a little closer to get a better angle and...whoosh, up to my neck. I scrambled up the bank and landed one of the fish, a nice brown. Thankfully my Dad, brother and friend were watching the whole thing so I didn't have to just describe it to them...they didn't let me forget it for a while.

Another good one was fishing down Bullfrog Rd. in the winter. I wade down into a pool and see a fish midging. I cast my streamer in and got a take but no connection. Excited (hmm, is there a theme here?), I step a bit closer and the steeply sloping gravel beneath me gives way and in a sort of slow motion fashion I'm floating, then swimming. The old one-handed, rod in the air, wader-wearin' side crawl stroke to shore. It was not fun post-holing through the snow 3/4 miles back to the truck, but at least I wasn't frozen solid like TriploidJunkie. The work kept me warm enough to avoid hypothermia.

triploidjunkie likes this.
  15. Jim Speaker

Jim Speaker Active Member

Home Page:
    I was fishing the Beaverhead River in the middle of April. It was cold - early morning ice in the guides. Four of us were working our way up stream and needed to cross and I took the lead as we were all looking for the best spot to make the crossing. I stupidly called out, "this looks like the best way!" as I waded forward towards the far bank, stepped into a little deeper water than expected and caught my foot on a root. This dumped me forward chest first into the drink and filled my waders. I untangled my foot, slogged forward a couple steps and belly crawled up the bank.

I heard my buddy Jeff's dad say something like, "I think I'll go this way," as he led the other two through totally easy water. Sheesh.

Soaked from shirt to socks i pulled the waders off and drained them and wrung out clothes freezing my ass off. I even tried to fish a little after that but fearing hypothermia might kick in as my core temp was dropping I had to walk back to the cabin about a mile for a change of clothes and a warm-up. All I wanted was to keep catching the browns we were getting into on lightning bugs and hares ears... sitting in the cabin for a bit sucked knowing the other guys were out there with rods bent and reels singing.

The lesson learned is to never say, "This looks like the best way!" when you're wading. It's worse than saying the W-word out loud.

16. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

Media:
    I was headed back downstream towards the car for lunch on the Yakima one day and wading a bit too fast while continuing to make casts towards the bank. Just as I made a cast, I stepped on a downstream sloping rock and my foot started sliding. It was a slow-motion descent that I quickly realized could not be stopped. When I got back to my feet, I had a fish on!
    Dick

17. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    I seem to remember fishing with you in northern Idaho a couple years ago when you went for a mini-swim. Fortunately it was shallow water so you were able to stand up quickly. There was no discussion or conversation. You just headed up the trail back to the truck and there was no question it was the end of the day (especially since we were in your truck!)

K

18. Citori

Citori Piscatorial Engineer

I was fishing on the Big Muddy (Nisqually) and was standing in ankle deep water with grass growing between my feet. I took a half step forward and nothing there. This was years ago and was wearing the old rubber boot foot waders. I half turned as I went down, threw my rod on the bank and got both hands over the ledge and pulled myself back up onto my stomach, and scrambled out. Never did touch bottom. Waders were full, so to speak... Worst scare of my life. Much less excitement since I started wading with a staff. IMO the most important wading safety device.

19. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Lucky thing you didn't say that when you ducked pretty dang low to the water, to get under that spanner that I easily slid over on the other side of the river. I couldn't have fit under there with my day pack on.

I had the edge of a gravel bar collapse once, on a small coastal stream, when I was trying to reach out and push a fly out of a log with my rod tip. I scooped some water over the top of my waders before I regained my footing. I was nearly done fishing by then, so it wasn't too bad. At least I didn't snap off the tip of my rod.

Other than that, I haven't fallen in. Got ejected from a zodiac in the surf while heading back in along Washaway from salmon trolling at the entrance to Willapa Bay many years ago, but that was due to the antics of the insane boat driver.

triploidjunkie likes this.
  20. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Media:
    Once on the Klamath. I was fishing at the bottom end of a side channel and I walked out onto the gravel to swing both sides of the confluence and the gravel gave way. It took me about 100-150 yards to get to the bank while holding my rod in one hand. Didn't lose anything, but I did leave my ball cap hanging on a tree limb while I wrung stuff out. Changed into another pair of fleece, and continued my day. The next day while we were drifting through I reclaimed my forgotten cap.

I was mercilessly targeted by my two brothers jokes for the next week of fishing, since that happened on day one..