Going back out again.

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Old Man, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Well my arm is all healed up so I thought that I would go out again and see if I can't screw up my damn arm again. Going to go up to my favorite place here in SW Montana. And see if there is any water left to run down hill.

Will watch closely where I put my big feet. Don't need and more infections. Will be using my 3wt's and maybe my 4wt. I haven't decided if I'm going to take my quad with me. I should as it hasn't been out for a while. Maybe later in the week I will go up into the hills to that little pond that is loaded with Cutthroat.

mx610ktm and Jim Speaker like this.
  2. mx610ktm

mx610ktm Member

Media:
    Gonna come over your way next week old man. Havent been there since earlier in the year. have a buddy coming up from florida and im gonna show him around the sw.

3. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Well if you get close to Dillon, give me a holler. I could meet up someplace. But I don't fish very long. My body won't let me.

4. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Well I made it out. Where I went the weather was a-ok, for a while that is. Got to where I wanted to be. I was the only swinging dick on the whole creek. About 20 miles of water. I made it up as far at Deadman's creek. The creek crossed the road where I couldn't go any farther up. Got a picture of the place. The pictures of the water are Deadman's creek. The other picture is of hard the rain was coming down. The hole there is about 3 feet deep. Not going to drive my truck through that.

The weather was nothing to write home about. The sun was shining and when it was out it was warm. Then I got rained on and hailed on and the wind was blowing. Then the wind would stop blowing and then it would take off again. Wind and a 3 wt are no fun to cast in.

The fishing really sucked big time. Lots of hits but no fish to hand. I guess that they just didn't want to be caught today. Lots of hits on small yellow size 14 stimulator's. I just couldn't hook anything today. I tried a burnt orange one but not even a hit.

Attached Files:

• 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      2.1 MB
      Views:
    • 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      2.1 MB
      Views:
    • 006.JPG
      006.JPG
      File size:
      2.2 MB
      Views:
    McNasty likes this.
  5. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

Media:
    I don't know Jim. With the luck you've been having lately, maybe going to a place called "DEADMAN"S creek" isn't such a good idea.:)

Alex MacDonald likes this.
  6. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I watched where I put my big feet before I set them down. It makes for slower walking but safer at that. I also fished more than I had in recent times out there. Lots of fish in Deadmans. But smaller and feistier.

7. Mark Yoshida

Mark Yoshida Active Member

Great report and with pics included. Did you get to wet/use your new net since you got it?

8. Greg Armstrong

Greg Armstrong Active Member

Thanks for taking us all along Jim. Good to see some of those photos of your favorite "places" - (I was going to use the word "haunts", but that would have sounded too much like a bad pun attempt - "Deadman's Creek" and all :)).

9. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I like the Creek names here. Deadman's and Bloody Dick Creeks. I'll have to look for some off the wall names. I know that there are a ton of creeks named Rock Creek. I think every county has one named that.

If you follow that creek up in the picture you come to a bend that was loaded with fish to ten inches. I would think that as high as I was fishing that the area is covered with snow until April along with ice. How the fish survive is beyond me. That creek was only 4 feet wide at the widest spot. But had a few deep holes. I had to hit the hole just right to get a good drift. And yellow Stimulator's was the go to fly.

10. tythetier

tythetier Fish Slayer

Media:
    Good to hear ya got out Old Man! Take care of yourself!! Dont want to hear them naming a fork of the Ruby after you or anything. I dont think they can put 'Pissy Old Swinging Dick Jim' on the map or road signs though... ;-)