Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear swap?

Discussion in 'Fly Swaps' started by Kent Lufkin, Nov 2, 2005.

1. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Ratings: +1,226 / 0
    The venerable gold ribbed hare's ear (GRHE) has long been one of my very favorite patterns, frequently producing fish when nothing else works. But in talking with others over the years I've found that there nearly as many variations on how to tie it as there are tyers.

So if you're interested, I've decided to host a GRHE swap. Tie it up as a bead head, a flashback, a soft hackle or even a dry. Just make sure to incorporate some actual hare's ear somewhere into your pattern and try to remain somewhat true to the original (or at least respectful!)

The swap is open for up to a dozen tyers and let's make the deadline for flies to me December 15 to avoid the Christmas rush. The swap will close when we've got a dozen tyers or by November 15, whichever comes first.

K

Update: we now have a dozen tyers and the swap is CLOSED.
  2. Flyn'dutchman Member

Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    I'm in.:thumb:
  3. Willie Bodger Still, nothing clever to say...

Lynnwood, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
  4. David Holmes Formerly known as "capmblade"

Snoqualmie, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +31 / 0
    Can I play? I love the GRHE. Mine are nothing special but they catch fish.
  5. Scott Behn Active Member

Lk Stevens, Wa.
    Kent you can count me in...I'll tie up some GRHE soft hackles in a size #10...

:cool:
  6. Teeg Stouffer Fish Recycler

Omaha, NE / Council Bluffs, IA
    I haven't participated in a swap in quite a while, but it just so happens that I have been tying these lately, and would love to participate. I'll submit a weighted flashback version, with no bead head.
  7. Griswald a.k.a. Griswald

Vashon Island, Wa.
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    Kent,
    I would like to join this one please.

Best
    Matthew (a.k.a. Griswald)
  8. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Welcome aboard boys! Seven seats filled, five still open.

K
  9. Mike Active Member

Someplace between here and there
    Ratings: +44 / 0
    Count me in as well.

Mike
  10. James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Tacoma
    Ratings: +88 / 0
    I'd love to join. I'll do a rubber legged size 10 jobbie...
  11. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Nine tyers aboard - three seats still open.

K
  12. Dylan D Member

West Seattle
    I'd like to participate Kent. Thanks.
  13. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Ten guys on board. The next two people to post make it an even dozen and then we're closed.

K
  14. halcyon Hallelujah, I'm a Bum!!!

Vancouver, WA, USA.
    I'm in. Will tie a GRHE wet fly.

Regards,
  15. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Welcome aboard Halcyon! Room for one more tyer.

Going once,

Going twice . . .

K
  16. Stephen Rice Senior Member

Wasilla, Alaska
    got any more room? if so I am in.
  17. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Stephen makes it an even dozen and the swap is now closed.

Here's who's in:

Flyn' dutchman
    Willie Bodger
    Capmblade
    Scott Behn
    Teeg Stouffer
    Matthew Grunwald
    Mike
    James Mello
    Dylan D
    Halcyon
    Stephen Rice
    and yours truly.

Tyers, please mark Thursday, December 15, 2005, on your calendars as the date for me to RECEIVE your flies.

I know this may seem elementary to most people, but from previous swaps I've found there's always at least one person who doesn't understand that for me to receive them by the 15th, they need to MAIL their flies several days earlier. The further you are from Seattle, the more time you should allow for snail mail to get here from wherever you are. Better yet, tie your flies early and send 'em as soon as you're finished.

Since there's twelve of us, you can send eleven flies and keep the twelfth for yourself (although an extra two or three for the swapmeister will be gratefully appreciated!)

So that everyone knows which beauties YOU tied, attach a toe tag to each of your flies with your name and the name of your fly. If you wish (and you write really small!), you can also include the recipe as well. A strip of paper cut to about 3/8" x 4" with a 1/4" on one end folded back and the point of the hook stuck through the doubled paper works great.

Please avoid using little pre-cut tags with strings that you tie onto each fly. From experience, the string works loose and I end up getting a bunch of loose flies and tags that I've gotta reattach. Also, please avoid big tags. At least one person will send their flies in a little tiny fly box or Altoid tin which will make stuffing your big tag into that tiny space a challenge.

Place your flies in a crush-proof container (a cheap plastic fly box, an Altoid tin or a plastic VHS tape case all work great). Put the container in a heavy manilla clasp envelope or sturdy box along with a self-addressed return envelope or a stick-on label.

Please make SURE and include the correct return postage or a couple of bucks. I get cranky when someone just assumes that I'll pay for return postage.

Mail the whole shebang to me at:

Kent Lufkin
    c/o L2D Design
    13343 Bel-Red Road
    Bellevue, WA 98005

I'll divide up the flies on Friday, December 16 and mail 'em back out to you. You don't have to wait until the middle of December to send 'em in. If everyone gets their flies in early then I can send 'em out early and the swap doesn't have to come to a screetching halt while one or two guys are frantically tying the day before the deadline.

Finally, if you've got to pull out of the swap for some unforeseen reason, PLEASE let us know by posting to this thread as soon as possible. Things change in life and it's OK if you've gotta focus on something else instead. But a little advance notice will go a long way and keep me from having to track you down the day before the deadline.

I'll add to this thread from time to time to see how we're all doing as the deadline draws closer and will send email or PMs to any laggards.

Otherwise, thanks for joining in the swap - I can't wait to see your personal interpretation of this classic pattern.

K
  18. TheShadKing Will Fish For Food

Bellevue, WA
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    Here's my GRHE

I agree! I'm a bit bummed I'm not participating, but that's totally ok because I just tied a set for the Marathon swap:

[IMG]

Rolland

ps. the Lagartun oval tinsel is way better than any unbranded tinsel I've ever used.
  19. halcyon Hallelujah, I'm a Bum!!!

Vancouver, WA, USA.
    Flies are packaged and will be posted on Monday.

Flies are in flight!!

Regards,
  20. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Halcyon, you're awesome! I'm gonna start mine tomorrow morning.

K