Golden dreams sprinkled with grayling....

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by wbugger, Nov 5, 2001.

1. wbugger Member

Ratings: +0 / 0
    I have a question for all you highly technical, steeley-eyed fly fishermen out there (which, of course, I am not)....Is there anyplace in WA to catch the almost mythical Golden trout or grayling????

These are two "fringe" fish that I've heard and read about and would love an opportunity to catch some.

Has anyone out there caught any Goldens? What do they look like? Are they good tasting? How big do they get? And, finally, what flie do they prefer?

I've heard that both species prefer higher altitudes (colder water I suppose), while I've only heard of Goldens in alpine lakes, no rivers.

Thanks for your help.

wbugger
  2. Rob Blomquist Formerly Tight Loops

Mountlake Terrace, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    I understand that there are Golden trout in Upper Grieder Lake. I tried for them once last season, but totally struck out. Its a nice lake for a float tube, but one hell of a hike to get it in.

I have recenly seen references to grayling in Washington, and I did catch one back in the 70's, but I don't remember where.

The best source of information is Stan Jorgenson's "Fishing in Washington" annuals that were published in the 70's and 80's. They contain some very detailed information about lakes and the fish stocked in them.
  3. Gizler New Member

Seattle, Washington, USA.
    It might not be of much help but it might give you some hope. I saw pictures of grayling caught by "a friend of a friend of mine". It was back in the mid to late 80's so the name of the lake escapes me. However, I do remember that it was somewhere in the alpine lakes wilderness area. I think it might have been somewhere near Spade and Venus lakes but I can't be sure.
  4. Jonduke New Member

Renton, WA, USA.
    I have never personally fished for either of these species, but i am planning on it sometime and have looked into it a lot. For grayling, the only esablished population is Granite Lake (Upper, I think) by the Skagit River. I'm not sure if the population is very large, but they do live there. Golden Trout would be significantly easier to find. Like on person mentioned, the Fishing in Washington book is great about finding Goldens. There are a number of Golden lakes in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness, such as Little Hester and Cougar. You just have to do some research, and some exploring.
    While Washington has some populations of these fish, if you really want to catch decent number I would advise travelinh a bit. Alaska has grayling litterally everywhere, and the Golden Trout Wilderness in California is good (The fish are native there, and live in creeks).
  5. Vic_sea New Member

6. guest Guest

There is a high lake off the S/Fork of the Stilly that has goldens in it. In fact I think you can even drive to it. I was headed up there last year but since high places scare me I didn't make it up there. If I could drive blindfolded I could drive there. I could tell you the name,but then I would have to kill you. HA HA HA Jim S.:TT