Golden Gardens and Carkeek beaches?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by eio, Oct 19, 2007.

1. eio

eio Large member

Does anyone fish these beaches regularly?
    Are they are productive or should I concentrate elsewhere like further south?

I ask since I live near both beaches and its an easy skip down to them but I'd like to know my efforts aren't in vain.

2. hendersonbaylocal

hendersonbaylocal Member

Media:
    I live nearby as well but have had much better luck down south. Deep south.

Doesn't stop me from hitting them though. There are plenty of fish around - I just head elsewhere when I have more than just an evening or an hour or so to fish.

3. herl

herl Member

I like Carkeek better than GG. Neither of them are what I'd call hot spots, especially this time of year when many of the mid/north Puget sound SRCs are in their rivers. They are not a waste of time though if you have a couple hours and don't want to spend 1/2 of the time in the car.

4. stflr

stflr priorities?

iagree

Perfect for a quick fix. As a matter of fact, two days ago I brought my first chum to hand off of Carkeek. Which shouldn't be a suprise to anyone this time of year.

5. bankwalker

bankwalker Member

carkeek? where is this place?

i havent yet fished off golden gardens either with a fly. but have done good in past years tossing spinners and spoons.

6. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    I've lived across the street from Carkeek for over 20 years. As others have mentioned, it is a decent quick fix spot. I've caught a few salmon there and some nice src's there. In my opinion, not what I would consider one of my go to spots in the city. It would rank very low when considering spots north, south and west of the city limits.
    Brian

7. Nutty Squirrel

Nutty Squirrel Says: Smoke Salmon not Crack

I just added up my hours spent fishing the mentioned beaches from a log I kept from mid-august until this past week and came up with aprox. 48.5 hours and a embarassing low catch rate: 2 pinks, 2 resident silvers, 1 Migrating Silver, 1 very large SRC, 1 very small SRC. Either I really suck as a newbie Fly fisherman (Been fishing P.S. since I was a kid though) or these beaches are not the most productive or both since I averaged about one fish per 10 hours.

8. BruceAC

BruceAC Member

if you go in the morning fine, but in afternoon/evening...
    ...must dodge kids throwing rocks in the water...in your direction,...with their parents standing right next to them... inevitably while you try to fish "away from the crowds"
    BruceAC

9. eio

eio Large member

No doubt.
    I was down @ GG the other night and was almost getting pelted by some "20 something kids" throwing rocks. Then there was the guy paddling on a surf board right in front of me. Then a sea lion decided to pay me a visit about 10 yards away. Good thing I was just there practice my casting.............

10. kingpuck

kingpuck new to fly fishing but loving every minute of it

I live 5 minutes from GG and I have been down there fairly consistently. It doesn't really heat up until December for the Blackmouth which can be insane fishing. When it's good there it's not uncommon to catch 10+ blacks but most are undersized (must be 22 inches to keep). Best thing to use is darts. I haven't tried fly fishing for them as being a college student is not conducive to buying new salmon rods. Until I become a trust fund kid I'll have to settle for trying for trout on the fly.

11. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

You'll do far better by fishing the southsound beaches this time of year. Both are terrific late summer/fall salmon spots. Carkeek fishes well for searuns in the late summer before they head up their natal rivers.

Leland.

12. Lucid Dreams of Fish

Lucid Dreams of Fish Member

Media:
    Is the Tocoma Narrows bridge part of the south sound?

13. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

I've always considered the Narrows as the beginning of southsound. If you're thinking of the Narrows as a possible searun spot, I would instead recommend the state parks in the area such as Kopachuck, Joemma, Penrose or Manchester.

Leland.