Golden Gardens Pink Salmon Report (Spoiler: not good)

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by seattlee, Aug 26, 2013.

1. I've been fishing Golden Gardens the last few days. I've been using a green or red (trimmed) Clouser, with no tugs yet. Usually there is a mix of gear and fly guys. I've only seen two fish caught (a small pink and a 14" coho). Haven't seen many fish jumping either. Perhaps the nets are supressing the catch.

2. Same with me except I've been fishing picnic point for the past 3 days. On the first day, I picked up a rio outbound short for my 8wt and pulled up a nice pink within 10 casts. After that, nothing. Haven't had any action since then and I haven't seen a fish pulled up since that night. I blame the weather and its unpredictability. They'll come in soon though, just keep getting out there. And try pink/white clousers or chartreuse/pink, that's basically all I've been getting action on.

seattlee likes this.
  3. Replay:
    nets are/have been out most days.
    fish are not wasting time getting into the rivers.

4. Plenty of fish in the tidal duwamish, lots of fish are making it through, fat kings rolling, really pleasant to see....

constructeur likes this.
  5. Many tens of thousands of 'em up were choking up the river system I hiked into on Sunday. One large and deep pool was solid Humpies all the way to the bottom, and I couldn't wade anywhere without spooking schools of them. I was fishing dries with my 3 wt, and didn't get any.

6. I was at GG last night (what a pretty night - even though overcast). When the wind picked up around 7:30 my brother (on gear) hooked into a nice pink and lost it when trying to beach it. Another guy real close to him caught one shortly thereafter. Saw maybe five fish jump within casting range, including one small pink that jumped two feet in front of me when I was changing my fly. Bastard.

7. Isn't Meadow point to West point closed to fishing for salmon till Aug 31? Which would leave probably mean an arguably small stretch on the North and East sides of Meadow point is the only thing technically open in GG?

8. yep...

9. Thanks for the heads up wadin' boot! Page 116 of the Regs indicates that a part of Golden Gardens is closed. I was fishing in the section of the park just north of what I believe is meadow point, so I was probably ok. But, most of the fisherman are scattered right around what I think is Meadow Point, so half of the fisherman are probably fishing in closed water (until August 31).

10. white river is full of pinks and since the amount of fish they can't capture all of em to take over the dam so they are just dying. about 10 yrs to fix the dam so they can all get up. what a shame to take so long to fix a problem that they new about. looks like a lot of pinks are in the rivers. it's been a slow yr. tight lines.
    Outlaw:(