Golden or Silver Badger

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Southsound, Dec 19, 2005.

1. Southsound

Southsound Steve Cole - Nisqually and Adjacent Environs

I have been tying versions of the DC Cutthroat spey using wing material that I have been hoarding since it came to inadvertantly as part of a larger used materials purchase. The feathers had a gold/tan center with black edges. I had bleached a few and dyed them orange for the DC. Now, Oh Woe bawling: , I am out of this hackle and can not locate it or a decent substitute. Any ideas?

Thanks All

Steve Cole
    Oly, WA

2. Tim Cottage

Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Try Creekside Flyfishing in Salem, Oregon.
    Rich Youngers, the owner of Creekside is the originator of the DC series. He usually stocks a selection of colors.
    What you are looking for is a Black Laced, White Hen Cape, either dyed or white, so you can dye it yourself. Not badger.
    Usually they come from the Whiting American Hackle series.
    As usual, it is best to call in the order to discuss specifics. Typicaly his wife answers the phone, just tell her what you are tying and she will know what you need. If you need any other tips on tying these flys, talk to Rich.

http://www.creeksideflyfishing.com

TC

3. Southsound

Southsound Steve Cole - Nisqually and Adjacent Environs

Tim...

Thanks for that information. I didn't know that Mr. Youngers was the originator of the fly. I actually have two recipes that my versions are based on - one from John Shewey's book "Spey and Dee Flies for Steelhead and Salmon: Their History and Construction". The other I found in an article from an old issue of "Fly Tying" magazine. I can't remember the author just now, but that recipe substitutes the pheasant body feathers for black-laced Whiting Hen Cape called for in the original recipe. The feathers I had were like the latter, and though I have tied both versions, I prefer Mr. Youngers. So now that I know, I will just "go to the Source". Thanks again Tim.

Steve