Golden pheasant skin feathers

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by mike doughty, Jan 21, 2005.

1. mike doughty

mike doughty Honorary Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I know the middle feathers (the really orange ones) are breast feathers, could someone give me a breakdown of the feathers or are they all breast feathers of some sort?

2. Obsessed

Obsessed Member

Media:
    Mike,
    Actually I think the bright orange feathers are the rump feathers. The red feathers on the lower right/left in your picture would be the breast feathers and the upper right/left would be the flank feathers.

At least that is the way I understand it.

Dave

3. mike doughty

Media:
    Home Page:
    I had ordered a tying kit for my General Practioners and it came with gp breast feathers and they look just like the orange ones more then anything, that's why i assumed the orange ones were the breast feathers. :confused:

4. halcyon

halcyon Hallelujah, I'm a Bum!!!

Media:
    These images may help, they are of a full skin with the edges being the flanks and breast/belly of the bird and the top being the back.

Regards,

5. Tim Cottage

Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Mike
    Your bird, like most skinned birds, was cut from a point just under the beak proceeding in a straight line from that point on the underside of the bird to the underside of the tail. In your case the head, neck, wings, legs and tail were removed. There are a few more details but for the sake of clarity we don't need to discuss them.
    The really orange feathers are actually the saddle extending to the rump, the green feathers are at the base of the neck extending down onto the upper back. The feathers along the edges of the upper half of the bird are the breast, the edges along the lower half are the flanks.
    The really bright orange feathers on your bird are the yellow feathers on the opposite end from the head on Halcyon's bird.
    Hope this helps.
    TC

6. halcyon

halcyon Hallelujah, I'm a Bum!!!

Media:
    Tom thanks for the well described information on the skinning method. Much more clearly explains the skin in pictures. I might also add that it looks like Mike's skin is either dyed or a color mutant as the green upper back feathers are much lighter than seen on a typical golden pheasant and the rump is also definitely not typical of the regular golden.

Regards,

7. Tim Cottage

Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Yes, Mike's skin is definitely dyed red. I have a few just like it. Using the right color red turns the natural yellow saddle into a very bright orange, the natural red/brown feathers into a more solid dark red and sometimes changes the green, although that may be due to the lighting or photo flash in his photo.

TC

8. mike doughty

Media:
    Home Page:
    Close tim, the package says orange, but who cares, close enough.