Golden Trout

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Cedar, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Brett Angel Member

Sammamish, WA
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    Wilken, unbelievably immature post!
  2. Chris Scoones Administrator

North Bend
    Ratings: +302 / 0
    Moderator hat off, Wilken I thought you had a few valid points. Even noted as much to Allison offline. Doesn't mean I don't respect her point of view but I prefer a bit more open sharing of lakes info on water that holds non-native species.

Putting that moderator hat back on, stating your last post was poor form is an understatement. PM's should be considered private.

Chris
  3. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,722 / 0
    I also know where there are lakes with goldens in it. But I don't give out things that are on the fragile side.

But my statement is true. People come here asking for places that are easy to get to. Not to many people want to go bush wacking.

I have given out many places to fish in Washington, but I think that is now coming to an end. What good is a fishing hole if you don't put in a little time and effert to find it.

Jim
  4. Cedar Active Member

South King
    Ratings: +41 / 0
    I originally posted the question not because I wanted to find a lake close to the road, but because I was hoping to capitalize on some firsthand knowledge (obviously). I think most people realize that there are no easy access Golden Trout fisheries in Washington State. There are a number of lakes that are barren and many others that contain rainbows and cuts but no goldens. I know that I can go to the WDFW website and look at stocking records however no knowledge obtained from the internet or books can be a substitute for first hand personal knowledge. I really have never understood the mentality behind keeping fishing locations like this secret. Are there really that many people that are willing to put that much effort into catching a 8-10 inch fish. To 99.9 percent of the population a Golden is nothing more than just another fish. The only people that are willing to put forth the effort to get to these fisheries are the ones who appreciate the beauty and serenity of the fish and areas, which means more than likely they are interested in the keeping the wilds intact. For those of you who say that these lakes aren't hard to get to; You have lost sight of the fact that the typical angler will not fish water that they can't see from a road or parking lot. Remember laziness is the overriding theme is today's society. To those of you who say that I am taking the easy way out by looking for information on this forum, you are right. I have a wife and kids and I can't afford to be away from them for two weeks while I hike around the Cascades looking for "the lake". I choose to try and take some shortcuts so that I can enjoy the resources, natural and naturalized that we have.
  5. Michael Thompson the flavor of BADFISH

camano island wa
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    i would agree that people come here for a head start. especially since some of us are out of work, running low on dough and really need a good fishing trip. lets face it, when 40 bucks feels like 40,000 dollars, going out bush wacking and exploring and burning a tank of gas doesn't sound like the easy endeavor other folks make it out to be. not to mention the fact that someone's secret spot is already another's favorite weekend retreat complete with fried trout for dinner, the rowdy neighbor kids, and a dog that wont shut up.
    this thread was pretty refreshing but took an unusually long time to turn sour.
    back to goldenswhat subspecies of trout are they? they almost look like a brown cuthroat hybrid of sorts (i do realize that isn't the case)
  6. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +1,031 / 1
    I post lake names at times because I want to see if somone is dumb enough to try and get there. Edd's isn't the hike back out I want (just to get back on the trail). Glacier is about the same way. The old way to Spectacle was about 10 miles one way, Glacier is about another 1 1/2 miles further back by trail. I've heard the trail to Spectacle has now been re-routed and is about 14 miles just to Spectacle.

Got some other killer trips and it's only the hike that's the killer.

Any lake worth fishing is either on private property, a long drive, or a nasty hike to get to.
  7. Allison Banned or Parked

Seattle, WA
    I really have no problem with sharing information on a one to one basis.
  8. Wilken Member

Hobart, WA
    Ratings: +18 / 0
  9. Michael Thompson the flavor of BADFISH

camano island wa
    seriously, what is golden trouts closest relative??
  10. Cedar Active Member

South King
    Ratings: +41 / 0
    I know the state has been stocking the fish but does anybody know which subspecies are stocked?
  11. jackchinook Member

Winthrop, WA
    Ratings: +12 / 0
  12. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,784 / 0
    There may be other reasons I read certain threads besides a personal interest in the topic. Someone may have asked me to read it. At any rate the reason I read this thread really isn't important. It isn't about me, it is about you. Take some simple advice and don't post up personal messages without the other player's permission.
  13. Wilken Member

Hobart, WA
    Ratings: +18 / 0
  14. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,784 / 0
  15. junebug41 Junior Dave Monti fan

Seattle, WA
    Rainbow.
  16. Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

Washington
    Ratings: +53 / 0
    Eh, this may seem like a pretty dumb question but... Are the fish that the trailblazers plant purchased by the WDFW?
  17. Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

Washington
    Ratings: +53 / 0
    Never mind, I found the answer myself. Allison, I sure as hell hope you do not represent the entire organization. That is a pretty crappy outlook to post publicly to an audience that is funding you. Especially since the majority of that funding comes from people who could give 2 shits if 95% of those lakes are stocked.
  18. Diehard aka Justin

Seattle, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    A lot of fuss over non-naitive, planted fish. Here is some advice, always take your rod when you know you are going to hike into an alpine lake. Most all of them have fish in them, some with some nice surprises. Part of the fun is not knowing what you will find when you get there. I have found goldens in multiple lakes in the Cascades, if you are into trying to catch one, it's more rewarding to find them with your own exploration anyway. There are so many amazing spots up in our mountains - go explore!
  19. DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Marine Area 9
    Ratings: +400 / 0
    The only positive thing about this thread at this point is Allison getting some suitors for marriage. Every barren lake is eventually stocked by some intrepid trail blazer ;).

By the way, I spotted lots of "Golden Trout" at Central Market this weekend in the fish section. They were easy to get to but looked kinda yucky.
  20. avlnchfan PhotoFisher

Auburn, Wa
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    There are some native goldens in a few of the high moutain lakes in colorado, but they take some serious backpacking to get into (10-15 miles, one way).