Good and Bad news at Pass last night

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by WCC fishing, May 18, 2005.

1. WCC fishing

WCC fishing New Member

The Good News First

The fish were hitting well last night and ended up landing 5 rainbows between 16-20 inches. All fought well and were a lot of fun. I also saw some nice browns cruising the shoreline chasing minnows. I managed to hook a monster brown before he quickly through the hook, but thats fishing. Overall fishing was good.

The Bad News

While fishing for browns in the shallows, my buddy hooked and landed sometime type of spiny ray fish. He wasn't sure what it was, and I didn't get a good look at it. However, I'm pretty sure it was a bluegill. Unless I'm wrong, the only way a warm water fish could be in the lake is through illegal introduction :mad: . As a biology student at WWU, I know that a foreign species introduced into a habitat can be devasting, especially since spiny rays have a tendency for massive reproduction and overpopulation. Has anyone else caught warm water fish in Pass before, or is this the first time anyone has heard of this problem? :confused:

2. 2 Much Fishin

2 Much Fishin New Member

Last year I caught a hand-sized blue gill out of pass lake. I cut its throat and sent him back in.

Out of all the fish I have ever caught there it was the only fish other than a brown or a rainbow that I have ever landed, so I didnt think too much of it.

3. soccerstud

soccerstud New Member

I'm no biologist but I believe that pass lake stays pretty cold year round stumpping if not killing the spiny ray

4. Willie Bodger

Willie Bodger Still, nothing clever to say...

Media:
    I haven't fished Pass ina few years, but I caught them in there ten tears ago...

5. WCC fishing

WCC fishing New Member

Well thats good to hear that other people have seen them in the past and there hasn't been a real problem. This is the first time I've seen one in that last fours years that I've fished the lake, so its probably nothing to worry about. Still it's a good idea to to stay aware of illegal introductions. I'm thinking of fishing again this friday night, either in an old green caddis u-float tube, or in my brothers yellow drift boat. To anyone else who may be out there be sure to say hi, my name is Jake.

cheers

6. dlw

dlw New Member

I fish pass ususally a few times a year and have yet to see a spiny ray there. I imagine they cant be too good for the trout though. Although blue gills and other spiny rays are "foreign" species, the brown trout and rainbows we are used to catching in there are not exactly native to pass lake either. From an anglers standpoint the warmwater fish are just not as desireable though. I would be willing to bet the blue gills were transported from one the nearby lakes, possibly by an individual frustrated by the fly only regs. This is illegal, but at the same time difficult to stop. Its sad to see this happen to one of the few public quality lakes on the westside. About the only thing one can do is make sure the spiny rays that are caught are not put back to the lake alive.

7. WT

WT Member

I caught a nice gill there about three years ago. I've talked to others who have also caught them. Just give 'em "last caress."
    WT

8. boxcar

boxcar Scott Willison

I also caught a handful of bluegill in Pass as far back as 8 years ago. Though I haven't fished Pass in a couple of years, it doesn't sound as though the trout fishery has suffered too much. Keep in mind that there are plenty of natural ways that warmwater fish could be introduced to a lake besides illegal stocking. Besides, 2 of the 4 salmonid species in Pass are transplants themselves...not that I'm real excited about catching bluegills over a nice rainbow.

9. Longs for Cutts

Longs for Cutts Member

Media:
    If it's just bluegill and not bass, I'm sure the trout will have some nice snacking. We can pick out the sharp bones; I think the trout can too.

10. Joe Brown

Joe Brown New Member

According to the regs it's illegal to "waste or mutilate game fish or food fish". Bluegills and other spiny rays are defined as game fish.

Joe

11. Jason Baker

Jason Baker Member

Media:
    It's also illegal to drive in the HOV lane, but sometimes it's just worth it!!!!

Kill! Kill! Kill! with the cold blue steel!