Good buy or bust.

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by NWstonefly, Aug 19, 2013.

1. NWstonefly New Member

Bellevue
    Ratings: +7 / 0
    I was pondering around a garage sale last weekend when I stumbled upon a Winston rod tube. I opened it up and found a lightly used Winston vapor rod with the top section missing. The sticker price was 20 bucks but I managed to talk the owner down to ten. Now I'm wondering if it would be possible to order the top piece or did I just waste ten bucks. I've looked online and haven't been able to find any contact info for Winston.
    Kyle Smith likes this.
  2. Porter Active Member

Kenmore, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +511 / 0
    I don't know...but you have the makings of a lamp ! ;)

[IMG]
    Lugan, Steve Call and NWstonefly like this.
  3. Michael Morris Member

Kenmore
    Ratings: +15 / 0
    I found there contact on there website...

http://www.winstonrods.com/category/resources/contact.php
    NWstonefly likes this.
  4. NWstonefly New Member

Bellevue
  5. Michael Morris Member

Kenmore
    Ratings: +15 / 0
    np...goodluck on getting a tip.
  6. LD Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +80 / 6
    If it is a metal tube, the tube and sock are worth more than $10. Bad thing about Winston is they are not as warranty or replacement friendly as some other companies for second owners. For original owners they are great. Good luck.
    Jeff Dodd and NWstonefly like this.
  7. NWstonefly New Member

Bellevue
    Yes it was in the metal tube with the sock and from what the original owner told me it was only used once before the tip was lost.

Just sent an email so fingers crossed.
    Bob Carroll likes this.
  8. snarlac Member

Sacramento, CA
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    A lost section of a rod isn't covered by anybody's warranty. I'm sure Winston can come up with a price to fabricate a top section that fits if you send them your rod. Probably $200 or so; not worth it imo. I'm not aware they are in the biz of underwriting garage sale material. They charge $50 for shipping/handling on warranteed rods for starters.

I say part it out on EBAY or make it into a cat toy.
  9. Rob Ast Active Member

West Pugetopolis WA
    Ratings: +230 / 3
    While this may technically be true I've had a lost rod tip replaced by TFO for the standard price of repair ($25). And yes, I was up front with them about having lost the tip while wiggling an un-strung rod in a bushy area while walking back to the car.
  10. jeff bandy Make my day

Edmonds, Wa.
    Ratings: +280 / 1
    Good luck. I have a vapor spey. The fighting butt glue failed and the cork broke. They wanted $250.00 to fix it!
    F@#% that. I'll never buy or deal with them.

Hope you have better luck.
  11. NWstonefly New Member

Bellevue
    Update. I was able to get ahold of the guys at Winston and they are able to replace it for 60 bucks plus 50 shipping. Now it's just a matter of having the extra cash to do so.
  12. RogueBum Spey casting for Steelies year round

The Rogue River
    Ratings: +24 / 0
    I love Winston rods! I would say you got a lifetime rod even if its a vapor. Get the tip and treat it well!
    NWstonefly likes this.
  13. Josh dead in the water

NW Washington
    Ratings: +496 / 2
    $50 shipping for a tip section? F--king H--l. That's insane.

No thanks Winston. You won't be getting any of my cash either.
  14. snarlac Member

Sacramento, CA
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    I'd say $60 for the tip; $50 to ship which is standard for most manufacturers; is very fair. You might wanna confirm whether or not you need to send them your 3 pieces as well - I assume you will in order to make it all fit together right; this will cost you another ~$20 for postage/tube/insurance as well. You didn't think this would be free, did you?
    Danielocean likes this.
  15. Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

Monroe
    Ratings: +578 / 0
    Small price to pay in my opinion.
  16. Steffan Brown ...

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +64 / 0
    I still say 'Good Buy'. You're getting virtually a brand new rod for $140, tops... Not bad at all in my opinion. That's still a 60% discount.
  17. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,747 / 0
    $110 to get a new tip plus 10 bucks for the rod equals 120 bucks for a Winston Vapor. Not knowing which Vapor rod you got but this seems to be a very good deal.
  18. Jim Speaker Active Member

Mill Creek, WA
    Ratings: +507 / 0
    $120 buys a marginal new rod or reasonable new rod when spent well. Good job! $10 was a small, small risk to take and like someone said, worth the tube and sock.
  19. luv2fly2 Active Member

.othello
    Ratings: +28 / 0
    personally, I would not own a Winston and now after reading all the above comments, please don't send me a free one. mike w
  20. Peyton00 Active Member

Puyallup, Wa.
    Ratings: +290 / 0
    Telling the tale of the rod that was so close to the dumpster and now landing fish and making memories is worth the investment. The grandkids will have even better storys to tell as the rod is passed down the family line.

Good buy!:)

now the rest of you stay away from garage sales... move along there is nothing to see here.
    Jim Speaker likes this.