Good cutthroat fly

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Stephen Rice, Jun 30, 2003.

1. Stephen Rice Senior Member

Wasilla, Alaska
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Normally I used a Gray Hackle Peacock. But I have been doing some testing and came up with a good variation on it for Cutts. substitute the Gray Hackle for White(you can see it better) with Dyed Black Peacock Herle for the Body and Fire Orange Hackle fibers for the Tail. And of course a Gold tag.
    Steve:thumb
  2. flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

Any chance you could post a picture or pattern? I've been tying up some simple baitfish patterns and would like to try this one, but am having trouble picturing it.

Thanks!
    Bill
  3. Stephen Rice Senior Member

Wasilla, Alaska
    Yeah no problem but give me a couple of days I need to take a picture of it and get it scanned in.
    Steve
  4. Stephen Rice Senior Member

Wasilla, Alaska
    Just wanted to let you know I was supposed to get the picture back today but the picture that the photographer took did not come out. My apologies, I will try again and try to get it to you soon.
  5. flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

No problem, I think I found the pattern that you described by doing a search. Of course it doesn't have the modifications that you've made, but it gave me an idea of what it's supposed to look like. I'll give both versions a try!

Here's the link that I found the picture and the pattern info on:

http://www.angelfire.com/wa/salmonid/fly139.html

Thanks!
    Bill
    :thumb
  6. Stephen Rice Senior Member

Wasilla, Alaska
    That's a good picture. If your using it for searun go with the size it says in the picture. But if you using it for river cutts take it up as high as a 14. On the river I usually go with 12's and 14's. Good luck ! oh and I would be interested to know if those mod's work good for you :smokin