good day on the Sky

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Tom Hiegler, Jun 20, 2014.

1. Tom Hiegler

Tom Hiegler New Member

Spent Yesterday drifting the Sky with Mike DIckson. My partner missed a fish early. Gave a good tug and let go. We fished for about 4 more hours when he said he thought he saw one roll. We gave him some "yeah sure you did" but then I proceeded to hit the head of the hole on the fast water seam. I'd swung the run first now was trying a float with an black egg sucking leach. First cast and the float went down. I saw a large bright as a new dime silver fish flash and then all hell broke loose. It ran almost the length of the pool - a good hundred yards before it stopped. I fought it for a while getting it back a little only to have it run again and again. It never came to the top, just kept pushing closer and closer to the fast water.
    Finally it started to go down to the next pool and we jumped into the boat and followed it. Lucky we did, because it hunkered down between two rock ledges. Mike told me to try to lift it up, but the line was stuck. Thought it was all over, then felt a little pop and really thought it was over, but then felt the fish. It took me another 15 minutes to get it to shore after numerous runs. No surprise it was a native = but I was surprised how big it was - pushing 14 or so pounds. I've caught a number of 20lbers on a casting rod winter fishing, but none came close to fighting as hard as this fly caught fish. I had a big smile as I released it and watched it swim away.

Attached Files:

2. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

Media:
    Good golly miss molly!

3. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    Nice fish, nice job!

4. Danielocean

Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

Media:
    Thank you so much for the picture you really have no idea.

rory likes this.
  5. Klickrolf

Klickrolf Active Member

Nice chunky fish, guessing it was a hen. Seems a healthy hen will always put up a better tussle than a bigger buck.

6. Sean Beauchamp

Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Media:
    Count your blessings, those rare sky summer natives are certified facemelters. Beauty of a fish! Needle in a haystack is definitely appropriate.

7. dreamonafly

dreamonafly Member

Media:
    Awesome..two so far for me...I think it's going o be a good yearl

8. Tom Hiegler

Tom Hiegler New Member

Yeah it was a hen probably with very small undeveloped eggs and a lot of fat to keep it alive until it spawns.

9. Tyler Sadowski

Tyler Sadowski Active Member

Media:
    Its been a fishy summer so far for me on the sky. Missed or landed fish every trip this June. Haven't seen the river this alive for probably 7-8 years.

JesseC likes this.